PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut titanium

locknload
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi. I have the Akropovic Titanium exhaust on my 04 RSVR. One can got a scratch and a dent about 60mm down from the end cap when it fell over in the earthquake so i thought the easiest solution would be to cut both cans down by 60mm. I am happy to do the job myself but was needing some help with what is best to cut them down with. I was thinking a small electric disc grinder. Cheers

Mille Racer 69
07-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Angle grinder probably.
You need to make sure your cut will be straight or it will look hanky.

Tifa
07-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Hi. I have the Akropovic Titanium exhaust on my 04 RSVR. One can got a scratch and a dent about 60mm down from the end cap when it fell over in the earthquake so i thought the easiest solution would be to cut both cans down by 60mm. I am happy to do the job myself but was needing some help with what is best to cut them down with. I was thinking a small electric disc grinder. Cheers

Before you open the can, get a decent marker pen and mark a centre line straight down the can from end cap to end cap...this will make sure that when you re-assemble, you won't have a twist in the oval shape (errr...they are oval I presume?)
Mark off where you want your cut.
Wrap the remainder of the can in duct tape, to prevent scratches.
Drill out all rivets, take care not to damage the thin trim band that wraps around both ends. you're going to need that again later...also, mark the bands so that you can identify which end they fit on, which way they go around the can, and which way the overlap is...it will save you ages scratching your head later...
Use a wooden batten, to tap out the tail end, if it's stuck...gently does it.
Fasten a piece of wire (old wire coat hanger is ideal) around spring lug at the in end. Hook wire onto something solid, you can then literally 'pull' the can apart.
Make your cut (with cutting disc) take your time, little cuts at a time.
Shorten internal pipe
De-burr ends.
Re assemble...use stainless rivets only, you'll need a serious 'fuck-off' rivet gun if you haven't got one, those rivet's are a real bastard to pull through with a cheap rivet gun :lol:

Click on the pic below for a before & after

akras slideshow by argentifa - Photobucket

locknload
07-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks for your help. I have had them apart before so know all the tricks with the bands etc. Did you notice any change in the noise or performance when you cut yours down looks like you cut about 100mm off.Cheers

Tifa
07-26-2011, 05:56 AM
A little louder...but not enough to annoy the police (any more than they are already :lol:)
Pops a little more on over-run...but nothing serious.
No performance difference.
No noticible fueling difference...economy, I don't really check it...but it seems to go the same distance on a tankful

Just a little cooler looking imho...and more in proportion with the bike.

Rugbydawg13
07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I thought it took special tooling to cut titanium.The stuff is incredibly hard.

buckmaster
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
A cut off wheel will work fine . Just have a few as it eats them up ...

Aprilia_barr
07-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I cut down my Ti leo vince. I taped the area I was going to cut, to try and help keep from hitting the parts I didn't want messed up. Then I drew my line on the tape of what I was going to cut and used a cutting wheel for the outside. Then the inside I used a hack saw. Took one blade per pipe but I had no issues with that. I drilled holes for the rivets. Used a small Ti grinding bit for a Dremel and cleaned up the holes and the edges with it. Here is a picture of the bit. I bought it at Lowes http://www.lowes.com/pd_73390-353-9901-03_0__?productId=1209475&Ntt=dremel&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Ddremel%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

RZRob
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Kryptonite! I think it's the only way.

http://www.running-foodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/kryptonite_crystal.jpg

RZ Rob