PDA

View Full Version : gas leak out the overflow lines

Portland_SXV
07-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I know this has been brought up a few times, but what are the causes of this? and remedies?

I've chased the problem throughout the whole bike -- new tank, new gas cap (race style), throttle bodies adjusted, tps reset, fuel lines checked.. MY 04 factory is still purging gas out of one of the breather lines underneath the bike..

I can ride about 100 miles on a full tank if I do that as soon as I leave the gas station, but normal commuting yields about 60 miles on nearly 4 gallons.. I've observed heavy fumes and drips coming out the line while riding...

How do we fix this??:bangwall:

Portland_SXV
08-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Bump. Any ideas, anyone?

DanV990
08-02-2011, 10:06 PM
It seems like it would be awfully bad luck to have broken vent lines inside of two different tanks but your list of symptoms points in that direction. Coat the inside of the tank with some Caswell tank sealer and if it is a small crack in the vent tube as the symptoms suggest then your problem should be solved.
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
The vent lines in the plastic tanks are coated in nylon as part of the roto-molding process but have been known to crack from time to time. They are not as easily replaced as those in metal tanks like the 98-00.5 Milles have.

Portland_SXV
08-05-2011, 02:04 PM
ahh... sadly, I have already coated the new tank with the caswell.. and as an added bonus, someone backed over my ape yesterday, damaging the new tank i fought 2 years for..

rad.

theknurl
08-05-2011, 07:28 PM
figure out which line is the problem.....vent or water drain