PDA

View Full Version : Clock Trouble

EA126405
07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I've been hit with a weird issue related to my Instrument Cluster (Dash). The bike is a 2008 Factory, with a PC III installed. The bike was set up right by a competent shop who know and race RSV's and Mille's (Map 2 and whatnot). I'm wondering if anyone has run into something like this and whether or not a hand can be lent.

Here is the situation:
-problem began as intermittent issue
-during the time the problem was intermittent it seemed to resolve (more often then not) when I hit the brakes
-as the condition became more constant it cut in and out without stopping, sometimes 3-4 times over a period of 5 mins.
-Now that the problem is constant, it should be easier to trouble-shoot
-SYMPTOMS
-Bike runs perfectly but Instrument Cluster shows the following:
-No Tach
-No Speedo
-ODO/Trip does not advance
-No Neutral light while in neutral
-Temp shows "Err" (flashing)
-Red Line LED illuminated (solid)
-Red Triangle illuminated (solid)
-Side Stand light illuminated (solid)
-Error Codes are not present or blocked by Flashing "Err" message
As mentioned bike runs perfectly, fans turn on at temp, and at first this problem was intermittent in nature.
I've looked at the most obvious potential culprits, checked connectors, got a hold of a known good dash and swapped with existing.
Same issues.....plan to get back into it this weekend.
Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.....

EA126405
07-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Spent a bit of time last night, think I'm on the right track, yet still interested in any ideas my forum buddies might have....

:peace:

EA126405
07-06-2011, 12:58 AM
A bunch of hours, a number of beers and a long session with my Fluke multimeter and problem solved. Ohm'ed out a huge number of harness points in a point-to-point fashion. found a break and un-broke it (replaced 2 inches).

When performing this type of trouble-shooting be sure to employ a quality meter and use the "diode" mode. A short between two points, sounds an alarm, which makes the job quicker and easier.

:peace: