PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia RSV1000R Factory Vs Triumph Daytona 955i

LorryDrvier71
04-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Which one is faster, top speed, acceleration, cornering etc.

I nearly wet myself the other day when some Triumph bummer was caliaming that Daytona 955's had a 5mph faster top speed than an rsv. So this isn't really for my benefit but hey...

co2bruce
04-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I can tell you from experience that the Daytona 955 will walk away from the Mille. I have had 3 Milles and have done roll ons against a friend with a Trumpet. They are very fast. On the other hand they will never corner like the Aprilia! I'm sure I will get flamed for this post but its true. Lets face it.... our bikes are not very fast compared to the other liter bikes out there, but they are the most fun to ride and own.

Merto
04-02-2004, 05:53 AM
Interesting voting..... based on knowledge, hearsay or could it be that there is a little Aprillia bias in this forum:eek:

I havent done any testing as I dont even have my Prilla yet but here are my thoughts based on having ridden the trumpet and from what I understand about the Prillas....

Trumpet may have a slight edge on top speed.
Prilla will dissapear into the distance (ahead that is) through the twisties.
Gear for gear roll on, the trumper will pull out ahead HOWEVER, with optimum gear selection, the Prilla may well be the one in front, at least up to silly speeds:D

kwagga
04-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Hi guys,

I own both versions including a 2000 (old shape) and 2002 Daytona. Yes the triumphs are strong but my factory is on equel grond (296 kmph) with both. The brits have got no change on the twisty bits. I am on average 5-7 secs a lap quicker on my factory.

scott2ride
04-05-2004, 12:51 AM
I have done numerous roll-ons with my 02 RSV and a mates modified 955. He has pipes, a custom remap and airkit. Mine basically has the same.

Top gear at 120kph I pull ahead.

4th at 100kph I pull ahead a lot.

3rd at about 7000rpm (So we are both in the power and ready to go...and I kick his arse and pull away alot.

We weigh the same too.

Top speed is an interesting one...and I have a theory there. I think the RSV has a very accurate speedo, so when we get to 250kph we are really doing 250kph. However most other bikes have very inaccurate speedos and so they think they are getting faster than they realy are.

For example, a friend of mine has a Hyabusa. He also has a bike to bike intercom like I do. His Busa is faster than the RSV...no question. BUT... Side by side I was sitting on 100 he showed 107, when I showed 200, he showed 220. When I got to 235 he was showing 265. I had his GPS taped to my dash and the speedo was spot on.

However it was getting disproportionately faster, which was strange because you would expect it to maintain a set % for the difference in speed. It made me think the Suzuki engineers have built in a formula into the electronic speedo that increases the speedo reading by a greater margin as the speed rises. (A subtle and emotional saftey net...or crafty marketing?)

Anyway...my real point is that when out riding many riders see 200 or 250+ on the clock and get excited. Then they get on an RSV and see 180 or 220 down a similar stretch and think it is slow. (The journos for Bike mags often make this mistake when you read the comparisons on track reports they say the xyz bike managed 219 down the back straight while they only saw 195 on the Aprilia.)

And the 955 riders have similar 'over-reading" speedos.

mike71
04-05-2004, 03:35 AM
yep, out with the busa boys i hit a vmax of 207kph, one of the guys told me we were doing 250kph :rolleyes:

scott2ride
04-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah you get that alot.

I was with a mate on a tricked out new Suzuki GS1200. He has flatside carbs, full race system, and other bits to it and had RWHP up from 96 to `28. Pretty impressive jump.

But I was sitting on his tail at 210kph and when we stopped about a km further on he was raving about almost hitting 250kmph down that stretch. Made me laugh.

But I supose it is thrilling to think you are going faster, even if you arnt. It probably also adds to the 'safty' angle.

scott2ride
04-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mike71
yep, out with the busa boys i hit a vmax of 207kph, one of the guys told me we were doing 250kph :rolleyes:

That also reminds me of a ride we went on with the local South African Eagles Busa Club.

Down one very long stretch I was sitting behind their front man whom I was very confident in his riding skills. I had a couple of the busa lads behind. And I got to about 255kph and was managing to keep up as I was tucked into his slipstream.

Well these guys were just ranting and raving about the RSV after that. Saying how amazed they were that it kept up with them and that it was doing 290...and even though they said they knew there was some speedo error they KNEW it was at least 275+... and they said I was still accellerating.

He he... I didnt burst their bubble as I was enjoying them all praising the Mighty RSV!:banana: :banana: :banana: