PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound familiar?

kevinb
06-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Suddenly I've had great difficulty shifting at a stop, and I'm wondering if the circumstances preceeding it point to a specific cause or if they are just a coincidence, and the usual bleeding or jet replacement are the solution. In other words, to those who've complained about difficulty finding neutral, is my story more or less familiar?

Out at a friend's garage in the country, I finally got around to cleaning and waxing the chain yesterday. Heading out, I went a few yards to a stop and not only could I not find neutral, I couldn't shift gears at all! Fortunately, when I took off again, shifting into second was fine - perfectly normal, as was shifting back down to first.
It took a while, but eventually things warmed up to where I could shift and at least try to find neutral when the bike was at a stop, but it was very difficult just to move the pedal. Before, getting it to land on neutral was sometimes a challenge, but at this point neutral seemed to have disappeared completely - couldn't even see the light flash as I fiddled the cranky pedal up and down.

The ride back home was OK. Fortunately, neutral showed up in time for the tollbooth, but shifting at or near a stop remained a challenge. But the weirdest thing was that, when I finally got home, as hard as it still was to shift with my foot at a stop, when I got off to wheel the bike around the garage, I moved the pedal by hand and it fell into neutral like it was nothing! How could that be?

By way of background, the bike has just under 2k miles and Gilles rearsets (rear brake works great!). I use the clutch for most downshifts, but very rarely for upshifts beyond 2nd. I ride a fair amount in city traffic and then sometimes find myself on the clutch more than I ought to be, but yesterday's ride was about 150 miles each way, almost all open highway. Only service so far (other than chain maintenance yesterday) was break-in last month at 600.

TheGeek
06-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Sounds like same issue I had when I installed my rear sets.

I had to take the bike to AF1 to get fixed, it was the detent star and shift rod; they got pushed in from my shear strength trying to get the knuckle on for my shift lever.

bbqb4racin
06-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm still new to the Aprilia. Only had mine about a month. Neutral does seem to be a challenge to find most of the time. It seems easier to find coming down from second than up from first. Other than that, the trans operates flawlessly. My question is...........is this normal? Some people say yes?

Bayou
06-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Sometimes I have slight difficulty finding neutral while stopped as well. Mine's an '09 with stock rear sets and 1800 miles. I just get her into neutral while rolling to the stop so I don't need to try and shift gears when not moving.

madbrad16
06-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I've always had this same issue with both my mille and my 04 r... I have just learned to deal with it and I tell friends that its just because its an Aprilia and they are built for racing. ha! But I'm sure there is a reason for it. It seems like I have heard something about an oil spray jet in the past but I don't remember details...

kevinb
06-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Sounds like same issue I had when I installed my rear sets.

I had to take the bike to AF1 to get fixed, it was the detent star and shift rod; they got pushed in from my shear strength trying to get the knuckle on for my shift lever.

So did you have occasional difficulty just getting the shifter to move at all when stopped? Did the problem arise some time after you installed your rearsets, or right away? I've had mine since new. Most everyone else only seems to have difficulty landing on neutral, which, like I said, was nothing new. Now it's just acting crazy.

Yesterday after cleaning and waxing the chain, it was, at times, impossible to shift at a stop. Now, today, after cleaning the whole bike, when I rode just a few feet to get it back up into the garage, it shifted beautifully into neutral like magic! What's going on? Does this inconsistent behavior indicate a need to bleed the clutch, to replace the jet, or something else?

One difference between yesterday and today: yesterday the bike had been ridden about 150 miles then rested about an hour and a half, maybe two hours before the trouble arose. Today it hadn't been ridden at all.

kzmille
06-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm still new to the Aprilia. Only had mine about a month. Neutral does seem to be a challenge to find most of the time. It seems easier to find coming down from second than up from first. Other than that, the trans operates flawlessly. My question is...........is this normal? Some people say yes?

V60 powered bikes do have more clutch drag than most bikes. The reason is due to the design of the slipper clutch. Some drag when cold is normal. If it drags a lot when hot you probably need to bleed the clutch hydraulics.

Jaguar
06-19-2011, 07:18 PM
V60 powered bikes do have more clutch drag than most bikes. The reason is due to the design of the slipper clutch. Some drag when cold is normal. If it drags a lot when hot you probably need to bleed the clutch hydraulics.

I've found that the only time I have any real problem finding neutral at a stop is when there is a bit of air in the system. Suggest you crack open the bleed nipple on the clutch MC and bleed here, just by giving a small pull on the lever until you're getting fluit flowing with no air bubbles. Then try to find neutral.

This will only take a minute so nothing to lose - and it always fixes the issue for me.

However, your symptom sounds more extreme than anything I've had, so the suggestion that something may have been damaged/dislocated when mounting the rearsets sounds like it may have merit.

Good luck.