PDA

View Full Version : alignment and suspension

peggyo
03-31-2004, 08:22 PM
I was wondering about wheel alignment. When I turn left my scoot feels like it wobbles. Can that be the alignment and can it be adjusted?

Also, I have noticed sometimes after stopping at a light my front end will come up- like a delayed reaction of my shocks extending
after hitting a bump. What is up with that???????????

I know it is not like my Ninja 1000 (which, by the way I no longer own) but I expect my scoot to handle better than that, especially after all the good things I have heard and read about it.

748rsvr999r
04-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Peggy,
I suspect due to the manner in which the rear wheel is mounted (much like the Ducati 916 family with single swing arm) there is no adjustment to align the rear wheel. I would first insure that the wheel is mounted snuggly, but with like other short wheel base bike any steering input is exaggerated and you end up feeling every twitch. Screaming down hill at about 55 or so you can really feel what I'm tallking about. No disrespect intended with the next comment but see if you can smooth out your riding style.

:peace:

THIS SCOOTS A HOOT!

NeoGeniX
04-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Normally alignment isn't a problem on scooters..but the ditech can be. Why? Because the early ditech's had a subframe (frame parts that holds your engine) that sometime bended and made your subframe go crooked..if the backwheel isn't exactly on a 90 degrees angle with the ground u might have a problem.

SiR50
04-01-2004, 08:54 AM
not sure about the alignment, but don't worry about the front end coming up. that's just the suspension returning to its (relatively) unweighted position after you brake to a stop.

peggyo
04-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by SiR50
not sure about the alignment, but don't worry about the front end coming up. that's just the suspension returning to its (relatively) unweighted position after you brake to a stop.

That I understand and agree with, however, the "delay" is quite lengthy, sometimes 3 to 4 seconds.

SiR50
04-01-2004, 11:09 AM
i've noticed that delay, too. almost as if there is too much stiction in the forks. maybe the sliders just need a good cleaning?

JRTURBO
04-01-2004, 12:03 PM
hi there

Sounds like your forks sticking in the compressed estate, I havent got that problem.

Strange anyone else noticed the same problem ?

Regards

Joe rubido

ditechspain
04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
I've noticed the front end come up too, and it seems normally to happen with me relaxing after the stop and releasing the brake lever(s). I suspect you alter the wheelbase slightly when you brake, given the front fork angle, and when the brakes are on you hold the machine in that slightly compressed state. When you release them the wheels move slightly and it comes back up.

i would not claim this is necessarily the answer and it may be complete baloney, but then, it never worried me.

peggyo
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
That makes sense. I'll pay more attention to the stopping, letting off the brakes, shifting my weight etc. and see how the forks react. I won't worry about it too much now. Thanks

Haribolman
04-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by JRTURBO
hi there

Sounds like your forks sticking in the compressed estate, I havent got that problem.

Strange anyone else noticed the same problem ?

Regards

Joe rubido

Yes, add another to the list. I have the delayed reaction to the forks returning to the unsprung postion after braking. I've also noticed that just shifting my weight when stopped can also recompress them and the whole effect of the front of the bike staying down or popping up looks quite cool and often has people in traffic looking!! :banana:

aays888
04-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Add another to the list with the sticky forks. Mine has done this since new, and mainly when I stop and release the front brake. About the left turn wobble I am not sure. Without crashing, can you ride your bike at a safe speed and then let go of the handle bars to see if the bike continues straight, or if it pulls to 1 side. If it pulls to 1 side you know then something is not right and maybe you should have it checked out.
Anthony.