PDA

View Full Version : ZX10-R Ride Impression

Demosthenes
03-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

having sold my beautiful Mille about 4 weeks ago I have been itching to have a ride on something (I anticipate some lurid comments here). So, despite the fact that I'm moving to Canada in about 8 weeks and have no intention of buying anything, I have arranged rides on a Kawasaki ZX10-R and a new Fireblade. I took the ZX10-R for a ride yesterday afternoon...

Holy Crap!!! This thing is SOOOOOOO fast it's not funny. I found myself rolling the throttle on and thinking to myself "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus". Okay... so, is it all go? I have to say that at least Kawasaki have sorted the handling. In the past, my experience has shown me that while Japanese bikes have bags of power, they usually let themselves down with ordinary handling. I don't think I can honestly make that appraisal any more. The ZX handles like a dream, it's like the thing is painted on the road and has WAAAAY more power than I would ever need (or have the courage to use). I would certainly tweak the suspension settings, maybe even get a steering damper, but out of the box the thing is incredibly good.

I will be taking the new 'Blade for a ride in a couple of weeks, I'll post my impressions then.

In the meantime, has anyone else taken any of the latest hyperbikes for a test ride, I'm sure people here would be interested?

Cheers - Demosthenes :aussie:

Sorry guys, I've posted this in the wrong forum. Does anyone know how to move a thread from one forum to another? :aussie:

MilleR_R1_R6
03-31-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Demosthenes
Hi all,

having sold my beautiful Mille about 4 weeks ago I have been itching to have a ride on something (I anticipate some lurid comments here). So, despite the fact that I'm moving to Canada in about 8 weeks and have no intention of buying anything, I have arranged rides on a Kawasaki ZX10-R and a new Fireblade. I took the ZX10-R for a ride yesterday afternoon...

Holy Crap!!! This thing is SOOOOOOO fast it's not funny. I found myself rolling the throttle on and thinking to myself "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus". Okay... so, is it all go? I have to say that at least Kawasaki have sorted the handling. In the past, my experience has shown me that while Japanese bikes have bags of power, they usually let themselves down with ordinary handling. I don't think I can honestly make that appraisal any more. The ZX handles like a dream, it's like the thing is painted on the road and has WAAAAY more power than I would ever need (or have the courage to use). I would certainly tweak the suspension settings, maybe even get a steering damper, but out of the box the thing is incredibly good.

I will be taking the new 'Blade for a ride in a couple of weeks, I'll post my impressions then.

In the meantime, has anyone else taken any of the latest hyperbikes for a test ride, I'm sure people here would be interested?

Sorry guys, I've posted this in the wrong forum. Does anyone know how to move a thread from one forum to another? :aussie:

I think you'll like the ZX-10R more then the CBR 1000RR, but why not the 04 R1??

I'm gonna get one. :D

BTW, you've sold your Mille to get a 4 in line??? :ban:

Demosthenes
03-31-2004, 07:35 PM
I'd like to go for a test on the 04 R1, but the first shipment is sold already, so no demo bikes, yet. I also want to try a GSXR1K, but the only dealer in town is a complete putz and says they won't get a demo ever, I asked him how many clowns walk in and buy a bike without having a test ride then hung up (I've had dealings with these guys before and their customer service sucks).

Anyway, NO, I didn't sell the Mille to get a rice-burner, I sold it cos I'm moving to Canada in 8 weeks and they won't let me bring it with me cos it doesn't have a Canadian or US compliance plate, and I can't get one even if I make it compliant.

Once I get to Canada I'm getting an 04 Factory, which is sitting in the shop in Calgary. I might get myself an R6 or CBR600RR for the track (not that there's many tracks around).

FactoryPilot
03-31-2004, 11:38 PM
I actually purchased the ZX10R last weekend (and yes, I still have my Aprilia) - nothing to add, you are exactly right in every respect.

What I was most impressed / suprised by was the handling (stratospheric acceleration and power was more of an expectation) - I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, but I actually think the bike feels more planted and stable in the corners than the Aprilia :eek:

Hey, if you haven't ridden one, then don't chastise me until you have...you'll see what I mean.

I was shocked, and I don't know about the other 04 jap bikes, but all of that research around Moment of Interia seems to pay off in spades as it relates to the ZX10.

Phenomenal bike - period.

ductale
04-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by FactoryPilot
[B]I actually purchased the ZX10R last weekend (and yes, I still have my Aprilia) - nothing to add, you are exactly right in every respect.

Where's that goldmine of yours. May I dig for one hour?

NoNick
04-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by FactoryPilot
I actually purchased the ZX10R last weekend (and yes, I still have my Aprilia) - nothing to add, you are exactly right in every respect.

What I was most impressed / suprised by was the handling (stratospheric acceleration and power was more of an expectation) - I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, but I actually think the bike feels more planted and stable in the corners than the Aprilia :eek:

Hey, if you haven't ridden one, then don't chastise me until you have...you'll see what I mean.

I was shocked, and I don't know about the other 04 jap bikes, but all of that research around Moment of Interia seems to pay off in spades as it relates to the ZX10.

Phenomenal bike - period.

Wife found a new Job? :banana:

FactoryPilot
04-01-2004, 10:07 AM
LOL - nah, nothings changed there - I still gotta get rid of it :(

I was trying to say that I wasn't making that statement about the ZX10 without having the Aprilia around to do a back to back comparison with...

zxrcy
04-01-2004, 08:54 PM
I hate to inform you Demosthenes that I have the only Aprilia Factory in Western Canada so far. The dealer here only just got their second shipment of Aprilias this week and they are Black RSV-R's (There is only one dealer in Calgary). There is one other Factory due to arrive next week but it is sold already.

The Aprilia distributor in Canada seems to be a bit of a putz.

Demosthenes
04-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey zxrcy,

hmmm... interesting, they told me the one I put a deposit on was the last of the original shipment of 10 Factory's brought into Canada, and apparently it came from (or is coming from) Edmonton. Apparently there was/is another shipment of 10 Factory's. And the only colour for the Factory's is black.

That dealer is Revoluzione Cycle Imports, eh?

Sorry about the "eh"... I'm trying to acclimatise myself to living in Canada... :)

zxrcy
04-02-2004, 12:22 AM
I think you better give Ian at Rev a call and don't get your hopes up. A number of people put deposits down but no bikes yet except for mine. I ordered it in October and was second on the list. One Factory arrived in December and the first guy on the list declined delivery for some reason so I got mine. There have not been any Milles or Factories since. I even had to lend my bike back to the distributor for the Calgary Bike show in January. The Factory Rev thought they could get from a dealer in Edmonton never happened. There is a high demand for the Mille here in Calgary but the distributor in New Brunswick can't seem to get bikes. http://www.bmgsports.com/1000/1001_1.asp?brand=APRILIA
They are doing a terrible job of introducing the brand into Canada and are losing a lot of potential sales. Their ham fisted approach as an importer is probably making a lot of people nervous as the bikes are definitely not cheap. I ordered a shop manual 3 months ago and still haven't got one.

If you would like me to check on delivery status for you I can as Rev is only a few blocks from my office. . . in fact I was there today. I have got to know all four partners and think they are an excellent dealership. If you would like me to find out a little more information on your order, send me an email directly with some info. I can maybe save you an expensive call.
/Rob

Demosthenes
04-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Rob, you've got a PM...

Canadians are such nice people... :)