PDA

View Full Version : 60mi test ride

GreaseSnake
04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Went out for a 60mi test ride of the new Dorso 1200 today. A short report;

The first thing that struck me was how smooth it sounded when firing up. No hesitation, got a feeling there might be an auto decomp device.

Riding is for me with roots in the dirt bike scene, "just like home". The seat position is high, the handlebars are close but not too close and the controls deliver good feedback. All in all very rider friendly ergonomics. I'm only 5'7" but there's no issues riding it. Well, backing up sitting on the saddle is a no go of course. =)

In straight roads it's kind of a commuter. Life is good, but not a blast. This thing need bends!
On the tighter twisties it reveals a bit of a flaw; it's heavy and not that agile as you might wish from a super moto cross breed.
On the other hand thanks to its weight it is very high speed stable compared to many other bikes in this genre. The darn thing won't wobble even when provocing it..

The engine is a torquer, close to diesel character. Between 3000 to 7000 rpm it pulls really good but after that it falls flat, close to dead. The engine revs all right but there is no punch. Not at all like the old Rotax engine.

Brakes are good, like most of the aprilias and the suspension / chassis are reliable, with good feedback and stability.

Even stock it gives a sweet roar, mostly inlet sound.

All in all, a very competitive commuter and would have been a sweet tourer if the fuel tank wouldn't that small. Light goes on after 60mi...

But I won't trade my Tuono for it.

Bigralphie
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Cheers for your write up GS

Centerline
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
How many miles or kilos were on the clock of that DD1200 ?

GreaseSnake
05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
How many miles or kilos were on the clock of that DD1200 ?

280mi, so the 6500rpm restriction was not present.