PDA

View Full Version : Yes!! sprocket offset again!!!

mille108
03-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Here are some pics...see for yourself

mille108
03-26-2004, 07:10 AM
and the other side...........
As you can see the sides of the theeth are worn on one side....and the paint is still on at the other side....
This is because of the 1.5mm offset the stock one has.. and the aftermarket ones are flat.
So if youre gonna change to a aftermarket sprocket or an 98/03 sprocket(they are flat) you get this...... and i dont think the chain is happy with this

This is after 1000 mile only...
And yes the wheels were aligned(how do you spell this:confused: )correct

Im going to do some modifications to get it right..

Dvus
03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Damn!!! once you get that fixed let us know what you did. I'm going to hold off on any sprocket/chain mods for a while.

Good luck bro

mille108
03-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah i know....my kawafukkinsaki was even worse..... my ZXR750R was 3mm off..
I use a tool also to check the alignment ....the same as you do....

clarkie49
03-26-2004, 03:23 PM
if you do a 520 conversion you wont have a problem with the offset :D

bartho
03-27-2004, 02:10 AM
Mille
How did you measered the 1,5 mm difference in the offset?

mille108
03-27-2004, 02:53 AM
This is a pic with the stock sprocket and the stealth one.
The stock one is in the correct position now,you can see the difference between tho two clearly.
If you measure the outside of the sprocket where the theeth are and the inside , there is a 1.5mm difference in thicknes.
So the sprocket will come 1.5mm more to the outside.....

Thunder Factory
03-31-2004, 09:38 AM
I've just found this post so sorry for the delay in replying.

I seem to recall a previous discussion on this matter and from that I believed the opionion of people was that the "offset" was in fact a "recess" in the sprocket and that as long as the back of the spocket was flat it was not an issue.

Are we now saying it is an issue?

Reason I ask is it will not only be an issue for the Stealth but for every one who has fitted an aftermarket sprocket, or like I have the original 42 tooth from my old bike which was virtually new.

I've covered 1500 odd miles on that sprocket and can't see a problem, plus when I laid it beside the OE 40 tooth on a glass surface the teeh lined up perfectly.

Urgent clarification required!

:peace:

mille108
03-31-2004, 12:51 PM
the sprocket is not bolted onto the wheel,but onto the carrier.
That means that the centerline of the sprocket shifts 1.5mm to the outside.....

Thunder Factory
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by mille108
the sprocket is not bolted onto the wheel,but onto the carrier.
That means that the centerline of the sprocket shifts 1.5mm to the outside.....

OK, just trying to get this clear in my head, your right of course the sprocket bolts to the carrier, but if the back is flat on both the stock and the new sprocket, surely it is resting against the wheel when the axel is tightened, and therfore should be in the same position.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I need to claify this in my own mind.

Thnaks in advance.

NoNick
03-31-2004, 03:52 PM
You got a good point there Thunder! I just checked my bike and these are facts:

- Stock 40t: 5,5 mm between carrier and wheel, 7,0 mm tooth width.
- Stelath 42t: 7,0 mm between carrier and wheel, 7,0 mm tooth width.
- Both are flat between carrier and wheel.
- The whole "assembly" between the fork is 1,5mm wider with a aftermarket both side flat sprocket. The question is where does that 1,5mm go? From behind your bike: does it add to the left side (no resl offset) or the right side (real offset of 1,5mm) of your fork? Or maybe both sides so the real ofsset is 0,75mm?

I think it dependt on your bike if it is a problem? All fork are a little different from what I have heart. Some extend 4 cm when your remove the axle and some done extend.

wolly
03-31-2004, 04:58 PM
NoNick

What about your stealth sprocket ? Is there abnormal damage on the sprocket ?

The reason i ask is that my stealth sprocket arrived but i didn't mount it yet. Is it save to mount or will it damage the chain and front sprocket.

Rob

NoNick
03-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by wolly
NoNick

What about your stealth sprocket ? Is there abnormal damage on the sprocket ?

The reason i ask is that my stealth sprocket arrived but i didn't mount it yet. Is it save to mount or will it damage the chain and front sprocket.

Rob

No problems so far ! Did 200 Km with stealth on it.

mille108
04-01-2004, 02:26 AM
The back of the sprocket is not resting against the wheel(not on my bike anyway)
Because of the distance bushings in your wheel and the carrier itself........

Sorry my technical english isnt that good....

Thunder Factory
04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Ok

So far this morning I've spoken with my dealers service manager, Aprilia Technical and 2 sprocket manufacturers, and all of them came to the same conclusion in one way or another.

The recess on the outer face of the 04 sprocket is there for weight saving (as it's a steel sprocket) and as long as the inner face is flat then an alloy sprocket can be used.

One person did comment that the bolts from the carrier would protrude 1.5mm less with an alloy sprocket but I can't seeing this being an issue.

All made the comment that if the sprocket was out of line by 1.5mm then the chain would have shown sigificant wear and damage as well.

Mille 108, is it just the finish that is worn or has metal actually been removed as well?

wolly
04-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Or maybe your wheel alignment tool isn't accurate enough ?

mille108
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the metal is gone also not just paint........

Thunder Factory
04-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Been looking at this for the last hour or so, but it needs someone with specific knowledge I'd say.

If the carrier is now 1.5mm further to the outside of the sprocket (as it would be with a flat sprocket will this have an impact, or is it in fact important to have a flat rear side?

Anyone technical got an opinion?

mixR
04-01-2004, 12:04 PM
The STD sprocket is NOT offset. It's outer surface has been recessed by 1.5mm to save weight. Any aftermarket sprocket with the inner face perfectly flat (as is the STD) will not cause any problems.
However, looking at the pics of the Stealth sprocket it appears to me that it has a step (~1mm) between the inner face of the sprocket and the inner face of the teeth. If this is the case then that could be causing the problem. The Stealth sprocket teeth will be sitting 1mm too far out from the wheel causing excessive wear on the ouside face of it's teeth, EXACTLY where your pics are showing it!

Thunder Factory
04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I just recieved a delivery of 12 Stealths for myself and other users and the sprockets don't seem to have any step between the inner face of the sprocket and the inner face of the teeth.

Guess the best thing to do is fit mine and see waht happens

mixR
04-01-2004, 12:44 PM
OK Thunder. Not having seen a Stealth 'in the flesh' I wouldn't argue but looking at the first pic at the start of the thread it sure looks like one to me. What do you think? Perhaps there has been a design change since mille108 bought his?

Thunder Factory
04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by mixR
OK Thunder. Not having seen a Stealth 'in the flesh' I wouldn't argue but looking at the first pic at the start of the thread it sure looks like one to me. What do you think? Perhaps there has been a design change since mille108 bought his?

I see what you mean about the first shot, but I think it's a trick of the light as steel and alloy core join at that point.

Just been comparing them to my Renthal and AFAM sprockets and they seem the same.

Look the mutts nutts though IMPO:banana:

mixR
04-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Looks like we'll have to wait for mille108 to give us the definitive answer on that one.
Just fitted a Renthal on mine Tuesday and rode it for the first time last night. Certainly picks up sharper and is less dependant on the 'right' gear when exiting corners.

Thunder Factory
04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
What size you go for MixR?

Merto
04-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah, the metal is gone also not just paint........

Might just be my eyes or the angle of the picture but your stock sprocket looks a little chewed up there also. Is there no chance that your alignment is off?

mixR
04-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
What size you go for MixR?

42T :)

mille108
04-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Merto
Might just be my eyes or the angle of the picture but your stock sprocket looks a little chewed up there also. Is there no chance that your alignment is off?

the stock sprocket wasnt used by me,after delivery before my first run on the bike i removed it and put the stealth on..
I never used it.......

2morrow ill take my wheel out and make some pics to clarify things......

wolly
04-03-2004, 04:47 AM
I got my stealth (42t) today and it fits well.
The original sprocket does NOT have an offset on the wheelside so every flat sprocket should fit.
The alignment on my bike was checked with a laser tool.

Probably mille108 did have a misalignment.

Rob

Thunder Factory
04-03-2004, 04:51 AM
I fitted mine yesterday, with Mille 108's situation in mind I intend to check it regularly, but I cant see any indications so far of the chain being out of line, although I appreciate it may not be something you can see with the naked eye.

mille108
04-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Its raining so i might aswell take my wheel out for some pic's...
The distance shown in the pic is the one that im talking about,that distance is now 21.5mm and with the stock sprocket it will be 20mm.
The bushing where the ruler rests on that tightens against your swingarm,the rear of the sprocket is of non importance what so ever.
The bolts of the carrrier thighten the outer face of the sprocket against the carrier.

Thunder Factory
04-04-2004, 04:44 AM
Mille 108

Great visual aid, and I can see what you mean about the difference for the carrier, but surely the swingarm will take up the "slack until it reaches the point when it pushes the sprocket and carrier tight against the wheel, hence the importance of a flat back?

mille108
04-04-2004, 05:57 AM
The sprocket carrier isnt pushed tight to the wheel,the bushing inside the carrier is pushed tight to the rearwheel bearing.
that's a BIG difference,check your bike and you will see that the sprocket isnt touching your wheel.
The bushings touch the bearings,the carrier needs some free play to let the rubber inserts in your wheel take care of any vibrations.
Most race bikes dont have a sprocket carrier and if they do have one, the rubber inserts will be replaced by solid aluminium ones to minimize drive train slack.....

mixR
04-04-2004, 10:08 AM
"The distance shown in the pic is the one that im talking about,that distance is now 21.5mm and with the stock sprocket it will be 20mm."

Or will it? If that were the case then the excessive wear you're experiencing on the Stealth (outer face) would be even worse on the stock sprocket!

"The bushing where the ruler rests on that tightens against your swingarm,the rear of the sprocket is of non importance what so ever."

As follows from above, if that is the case then the Stealth (and other non-STD) sprockets would run 1.5mm too much inboard of the natural run of the chain. This would cause the excessive wear to be on the inner face of the sprocket.
As this isn't what is happening in your case it must be something else.
I think you'll find that the measurement between the outer face of the stock sprocket teeth and the bush will remain at 21.5mm.
Also the distance between the bush and the inner face of the sprocket AND the distance between the inner face and the wheel hub remains the same in both stock and non-stock configurations.
I'll ask the question again... Is there a 'step' between the inner face of your Stealth sprocket and the inner face of it's teeth? Your first pic suggests that there is. (Admittedly, your last pic shows that there definitely isn't one on the outer face).
If so then that is your problem, if not your wheels must be out of alignment.

Thunder Factory
04-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Mille 108

What I can't get my head round is that if this is an issue it would apply to any aftermarket sprocket not just the Stealth, and I've covered nearly 25000 miles with Renthal and AFAM flat sprockets , neither of which show signs of wear.

mille108
04-04-2004, 11:29 AM
stock item......

mixR
04-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Yea, we know that.
I want to see the inner face of your Stealth.
Nothing you have shown us so far corresponds with the symptoms on your sprockets...

i.e. The outer face of the rear sprocket is rubbing the chain and, therefore, the inner face of the front sprocket must be rubbing the chain.

The trend of your point of view would show the opposite symptoms...

i.e. The inner face of the rear sprocket would be rubbing the chain and, therefore, the outer face of the front sprocket would be rubbing the chain.

mille108
04-04-2004, 11:40 AM
stealth....the stealth one is flat on both sides.....
This 1.5mm doesnt "just go away" ive shown this to a lot of technical friends of mine,and ive made a living in workshops for a few years.
My technical english isnt sufficent to explain what im trying to say obviously.
Im sure that this isnt a big problem,but i do know that chain wear will be faster than with the stock one.
The wear i had on my sprocket theeth was a combination of wheel alignment and this......
Im removing 1.5mm from the INNER side of my front sprocket to line up everything correctly again.
Use this info as you see fit (or dont)

case closed:cool:

mille108
04-04-2004, 11:45 AM
flat.....

mixR
04-04-2004, 11:56 AM
mille108

Of course the 1.5mm doesn't 'go away' but, in this case I don't see it as an issue. I believe the distance between the bush and the wheel hub bearing remains the same in both STD and non-STD cases.
Your last picture clarifys things with regard to the Stealth, surely you can see my point that in your first picture on this thread it sure looks like there was a step there.
The fact that Thunder, amongst others, hasn't had similar problems despite high mileages (I've only had my Renthal on for 90 miles but so far there's no hint of any alignment problem) suggests something else is causing your problem.

Remember nobody is arguing with you, we're only trying to help mate. :cool:

mille108
04-04-2004, 01:16 PM
The marking on the sprocket was a combination of bad alginment and the 1.5mm...
like i sad im working in a tool shop at the moment with CNC tools ect, and im gonna remove 1.5mm from the inside of my front sprocket.
so the front sprocket wil move 1.5mm towards the engine,on the outside of the sprocket ill put a 1.5mm washer to fill that space again.
Then the chain alignment will be perfect again and chain wear wont be an isue anymore.

time for a drink me think......:D

scott2ride
04-05-2004, 12:15 AM
When you think about it, the two sides of the swing arm are pulled in towards each other when the axel nut is tightened. So even if there is a 1.5mm difference, it is divided between the two arms and effectively would only becom a 0.75mm offset.

:confused:

Will 0.75mm cause that much of a problem? Probably not...., the tolerence levels are a lot higher.

It's probably bad alignment notches on the swingarm. My old TL was out by 3mm in the notches using a lazer alignment tool.

Come to think of it. My 02 Mille stretches chains all the time...every 1000km it needs adjusting. I must check to see if it is bad alignment notches.:(

mille108
04-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by scott2ride
When you think about it, the two sides of the swing arm are pulled in towards each other when the axel nut is tightened. So even if there is a 1.5mm difference, it is divided between the two arms and effectively would only becom a 0.75mm offset.

:confused:

Will 0.75mm cause that much of a problem? Probably not...., the tolerence levels are a lot higher.

It's probably bad alignment notches on the swingarm. My old TL was out by 3mm in the notches using a lazer alignment tool.

Come to think of it. My 02 Mille stretches chains all the time...every 1000km it needs adjusting. I must check to see if it is bad alignment notches.:(

no..... it doesnt work like that...... it doesnt get divided,the swingarm thightens against the bushings and bearings.
When there is an offset problem within the complete set (carrier, wheel and bushings)this will stay as it is.

I wont bring up the subject anymore,the only thing i can say is that chain life WILL be shortend if you leave it like this......

That's all folks

Greetingz from Holland:peace:

wolly
04-05-2004, 12:50 PM
I see your point now. I didn't mount my sprocket myself so i didn't realize the sprocket is bolted to the carrier wich is on the left side of the sprocket. However they did check my chain with a laser tool. I did see that myself, and there was no problem with the chain. Also the notches on the swingarm seem to be OK.

won't there be a problem with the chainguide on top of the swingarm if you move the front sprocket ?

Rob

mille108
04-05-2004, 01:47 PM
no no problem....... i checked already.......

scott2ride
04-05-2004, 04:44 PM
no..... it doesnt work like that...... it doesnt get divided,the swingarm thightens against the bushings and bearings.
When there is an offset problem within the complete set (carrier, wheel and bushings)this will stay as it is.

Doh!

Yep you are right:D

Thunder Factory
04-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Mille 108

I think finally your point is starting to sink in, thanks for stickinng with it and not just throwing your hands up in desperation like many would have.

Taking the issue seriously I mailed details of this thread to the MD of Supasprox who make the Stealth even though I'm aware that this issue is going to apply to all aftermarket manufacturers, I don't have a personal phone number for them. :D

Here in part is his mailed reply:

"I think that the flying Dutchman is correct if his picture is made as the sprockets should be fitted. The picture I have seen shows a sprocket with the recess on the side that is against the hub. If this is the case the sprocket alignment will be out by 1.5mm. Please can you confirm this for me. Your old sprockets should show this up.

We can adjust the alignment of the sprockets and make the drawings the include a small off set. If you can confirm, I will arrange it.

Regarding the use as is.
1. 1.5mm of miss alignment is very small and although I can see that it is not correct, I have no doubt that it will work fine. Many riders have no idea how to set the alignment of the chain and they get it much more than 1.5mm out of line. The sprocket has a thickness of 7mm and the chain has an inner diameter of around 8-9mm, depending on the manufacturer. So it is not going to destroy any parts.

2. Supersprox will make the next batch of sprockets to include the correct off set.

Please can you ask the flying Dutchman if the sprockets are wearing on the same side. From the picture it looks like they are. In the case of a miss aligned set of sprockets, the front and rear sprocket will show wear on opposite sides. If the sprockets are wearing on the same side, it is something other. "

The paragrapph dealing with use as is potentially explains why those using standard flat sprockets have not seen indications of wear, and of course in hindsight we have all simply been using sprockets made for the earlier bikes.

Can you confirm the situation regards his question of which sides of the front and rear sprockets show wear and I can send a reply?

thanks again

mille108
04-06-2004, 11:56 AM
:D :p: :bitchslap :banana:

I already started banging my head against the screen thinking of a way to explain my point.........:banana:
I checked,checked triple checked and started to doubt my technical skill's already.......

The wear on the sprockets was on the opposite sides,the outside on the rear sprocket and the inside on the front......
I know that doesnt sound logic with the 1.5mm offset but thats because...........my rear wheel wasnt aligned properly :o shame:o
So the wear on the theeth wasnt caused by the 1.5mm..... but the 1.5mm WILL cause faster chain wear......
That's why i shifted my front sprocket 1.5mm inwards to line up everything properly again....
If i want to change back to my stock sprocket again i simply put it on with the offset facing inwards......no problem

Thunder Factory
04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Well at least Supasprox have picked up on this and will accomodate the recess in their future production, and all because your rear wheel was not properly aligned, if it had been no one would have been any the wiser.:D

I'm happy enough to use my current sprocket though! :banana:

mixR
04-06-2004, 12:29 PM
mille108

So, now you concede that the wear was due to misaligned wheels and NOT any sprocket offset (real or imagined).
As I maintained, any wear due to sprocket offset would have been on the opposite sides of the sprockets.
I'm still not convinced that the non recessed sprockets will cause any offset. If a non-recessed sprocket causes the wheel to sit 1.5mm further over to the right of the bike then the rear disc would catch on it's caliper. I'm going to check mine now...

...and it looks OK to me!

mixR
04-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Thunder

"The picture I have seen shows a sprocket with the recess on the side that is against the hub.

If your source means the wheel hub rather than the sprocket carrier then he has misinterpreted the pictures.

mille108
04-06-2004, 12:49 PM
mille108

So, now you concede that the wear was due to misaligned wheels and NOT any sprocket offset (real or imagined).
As I maintained, any wear due to sprocket offset would have been on the opposite sides of the sprockets.
I'm still not convinced that the non recessed sprockets will cause any offset. If a non-recessed sprocket causes the wheel to sit 1.5mm further over to the right of the bike then the rear disc would catch on it's caliper. I'm going to check mine now...

...and it looks OK to me!

No the wheel is okay..its the sprocket that has the offset.....
the possition of the wheel doesnt change and i never said it would.....

There is the 1.5mm and it WILL shorten chain life.....

Thunder Factory
04-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Thunder

"The picture I have seen shows a sprocket with the recess on the side that is against the hub.

If your source means the wheel hub rather than the sprocket carrier then he has misinterpreted the pictures.

Mix R

I'll make sure to clarify it with him.

Thanks

mixR
04-06-2004, 01:03 PM
No the wheel is okay..its the sprocket that has the offset.....
the possition of the wheel doesnt change and i never said it would.....

There is the 1.5mm and it WILL shorten chain life.....

So you're saying that the flat inner face of a non-recessed sprocket will sit 1.5mm closer to the wheel hub than the flat inner face of a STD recessed sprocket?

Please explain how.

mille108
04-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Yes, that's what im trying to say for a while now......
I just put my wheel back in and i wont take it out again for more pictures.......

msv
04-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I believe this issue was complicated by the fact that mille108's alignment was off, and therefore the wear pattern expected by this sprocket offset was not observed.

The flat faced sprocket will indeed shift the centerline inboard by 1.5mm (or the depth of the recess on the original part). The distance from the swingarm (for lack of a better reference point) to the sprocket mounting face of the sprocket hub is constant, it does not change. As the sprocket mounts to the inboard side of the sprocket hub, with the recessed face contacting the hub, the centerline of the sprocket is 2mm inboard of the mounting face. With a flat sprocket, the centerline will be 3.5mm inboard (assuming a 7mm sprocket thickness).

The inboard side of the sprocket does not contact the wheel.

Mark

mille108
04-07-2004, 01:15 AM
thank you.......:peace:

cman6453
04-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Hey guys :D

So I've read this thread about twice and am still confused. I just got my Stealth yesterday and won't be putting it on myself unless I got this all clear in my head. Otherwise, I'm going to my local shop to have them figure it out.

Can someone summarize what the REAL problem was or if it was a combination of the wheel not being aligned AND this problem with the sprocket?

I'd really like to do it myself but only if I'm clear on what the issues are so I can avoid it or pay special attention to it.

Chris

msv
04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
The problem is that the aftermarket sprockets do not have the 1.5mm recess in them where they mount to the sprocket hub. This moves the centerline of the sprocket inboard by 1.5mm.

It is not conclusive whether this much offset really constitutes much of a problem, but it still isn't technically "correct".

cman6453
04-09-2004, 01:42 PM
msv - Thanks for the clarification. I think I got confused because I misinterpreted it somewhere that the recess was on the outward facing side of the sprocket. What you says makes sense.

So what's the consesus? Should the sprocket go on? Is the wear just barely above normal or extremely abnormal? Or should I send it back so Stealth can send me an updated sprocket?

msv
04-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by cman6453
msv - Thanks for the clarification. I think I got confused because I misinterpreted it somewhere that the recess was on the outward facing side of the sprocket. What you says makes sense.

Actually, that is the case, the outward facing side is the side that bolts up to the sprocket hub. Therefore, without the recess, the sprocket ends up 1.5mm inboard of where it should be.

Thunder Factory
04-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Cman

I've fitted the new Stealth based on the fact I've had no problems or issues with other non recessed aftermarket sprockets such as Renthal or the original AFAM sprocket from my old Mille, and the feedback from Supasprox themselves on the issue which I posted previously:

Regarding the use as is.
1. 1.5mm of miss alignment is very small and although I can see that it is not correct, I have no doubt that it will work fine. Many riders have no idea how to set the alignment of the chain and they get it much more than 1.5mm out of line. The sprocket has a thickness of 7mm and the chain has an inner diameter of around 8-9mm, depending on the manufacturer. So it is not going to destroy any parts.

To be honest I think the results Mille 108 experienced come down to the fact his wheel was misaligned, however without his posts this issue would not have come to light.

None of the sprocket manufacturers have been marketing sprockets specifically for the 04, if you contact a dealer or supplier you get one from the previous bike and there are a lot of aftermarket rear sprockets being successfully used.

cman6453
04-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Looks like I got some work to do. :D

Thanks for the replies guys!!

wolly
04-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Thunder:

Did the OEM sprockets of the old milles also have an offset ?

Rob

clarkie49
04-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Thunder:

Did the OEM sprockets of the old milles also have an offset ?

Rob

no

wolly
04-10-2004, 08:47 AM
in that case you can't compare experiences from the past with the old mille to the situation on the 04. Maybe not a bad idea from mille108 to modify the front sprocket.

Thunder Factory
04-10-2004, 12:42 PM
in that case you can't compare experiences from the past with the old mille to the situation on the 04. Maybe not a bad idea from mille108 to modify the front sprocket.

Wolly

I think you misunderstand I said I had fitted the original 42 rear off my old bike to the 04 with no signs of wear, as well as a Renthal which was also listed for the previous bike.

wolly
04-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Thunder: a quote from your post dd 4-4

What I can't get my head round is that if this is an issue it would apply to any aftermarket sprocket not just the Stealth, and I've covered nearly 25000 miles with Renthal and AFAM flat sprockets , neither of which show signs of wear.

I didn't think you already did 25000 miles on your 04 did you ? :D

wolly
04-11-2004, 03:15 AM
previous milles did have flat OEM sprockets so it should never have been a problem to fit flat aftermarket sprockets on them.

The 04-OEM does have an offset so there is a difference with the aftermarket sprockets.

I have my steath fitted an can't see anything wrong so i just enjoy the extra power.:banana:

Thunder Factory
04-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Thunder: a quote from your post dd 4-4

I didn't think you already did 25000 miles on your 04 did you ? :D

I wish, make that 2500 miles, and you win the prize for spotting this weeks deliberate error. :D

wolly
04-11-2004, 04:04 AM
yes, yes :banana: :banana: :banana: :D

Alex Galanis
07-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Just got my stealth 42t and although I've read this thread twice I am still unclear which way around to fit it.

One side of the sprocket delivered to me has a flat , smooth interface between steel teeth and aluminium hub and on the other side this interface is offset by 1.5mm.

Should the flat side face inwards or outwards ?

wolly
07-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Flat side face inwards

Alex Galanis
07-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Question to Supersprox/Stealth:

The interface between the steel teeth and aluminium hub is slightly offset so that there is a smooth join (with SUPERSPROX embossed on the alu hub) on one side and a small ridge on the other. Should the smooth join face inwards or outwards ?

Answer :

If you have an 04 bike the sprocket off your bike should also have a slight off set. The offset fits to the hub. It is 1mm only, but that is how the 04 bike comes. If your bike is not having the off set, please turn the smooth face to the hub and you will have no offset.

This seems to be the opposite to what Wolly says. I guess I'll try the manufacturer's way then check chain alignment and turn it around if necessary.

Does the 04 possibly come standard with two types of rear sprocket - some flat and others offset ? Hopefully it will be obvious when I take off the standard sprocket and see if it is recessed on the hub side .

Anyone get any more light to shed ?

wolly
07-29-2004, 07:17 AM
The hub is on the outside, so when the offset is towards the hub, the flat side of the sprocket is towards the wheel. When the sprocket is mounted, it is 1 mm above the hub.

So we're talking about the same.

All 04 bikes do have the same sprocket.

I have a flat stealth sprocket (99-03 bikes) mounted without any problem. Just be careful in aligning the wheel

scott2ride
07-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Where are the Stealth sprockets still availiable?

Dr. Thrillride
07-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Unless you're into the bling of the gold, get the 520 AFAM conversion, I think 16/43 would be perfect for the street. I have 15/45 for the track and am having a 49 custom made, but the 15/45 isn't good on the street if you need range as the gas mileage suffers. never really figured it out, just know it's way down. I also have a 16 in the 520 and it helps a little, but haven't used it much as the swap is a pain. My next order to AF1 will definitely include a 43.

how's the little one Scotty?

scott2ride
07-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Little Brynn is fantastic. He's a great wee toddler. Always laughing and smiling. 16 mths now but not walking yet...thankfully!:D

How about you Russ, hows the wee girl?

I get the Factory in a couple of days. Man... it's been months and is killing me! I was thinking of going 15/43. But it seems a waiste of money to change the chain to a 520? Whats your thoughts?

Im not to worried about mileage too much. But I dont want it too buzzy at 130kph in top. Plus I still want to get up over 250-260kph if the gearing allows.