PDA

View Full Version : Airbox/Slipper issue

TheClaw
03-24-2004, 12:07 PM
I was at my dealer, MCC in Villa Park, last night getting CPU switched to the Map2. We started talking about the airbox mod and they mentioned a problem with the slipper as a result of a guy messing with his 02 or 01 Mille. The vacuum hose that operates the slipper diaphram comes off the throttle body and and sometimes an airbox mod will mess with that causing the diaphram to activate causing the clutch to slip when its not supposed to. The same problem can happen with the crank case breather since that runs to the airbox.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Jeff

clarkie49
03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..............oops, was that out loud? :D

NoNick
03-24-2004, 03:26 PM
This does not make any sence to me? I guess the reaction of Clakrie means it is B*..S*.. ?

mille108
03-24-2004, 03:39 PM
:D

mossback
03-24-2004, 04:00 PM
hahahahaha is Kiwi for WTF?:D

ChicagoFactory
03-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Jeff,

That was my 01 Mille that they were talking about and had all those clutch slipping problems. It has been well documented on this forum of my problems. MCC couldn't figure out what was wrong, even after 7 service calls and the help of Aprilia USA. I got so frustrated with it and coundn't trust it, I had to trade the bike in a Busa.

I had the Evo race airkit, and they think it something to do with that. But then we had it all back to stock, even the exhaust, with all new clutch parts, and the clutch still slipped like it did with the Evo kit. It made no difference.

It seems I was the only one with this problem, because everyone else had one, and they didn't have any problems. To this day, I think it had something to do with a vacuum line of some kind either missing or in the wrong place, but we couldn't figure it out.

I don't think the Evo kit will cause any clutch slippage. All the hoses going to the airbox are attatched the bottom of the box. The Evo kit just requires removal of the top of the airbox. There are no vacuum lines attactched to the top of the airbox, so it should be fine.

Clarkie, isn't that correct?

Jeff, How much did they charge you to change the Map?

Mike

zx6racer
03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
My dealer said if I do the air box mod I will blow the clutch something about vacuum :confused: I asked Clarkie but he said no so you are not the only one the dealer said that to :D

clarkie49
03-24-2004, 05:59 PM
i guess you have to understand how the slipper clutch system works.

if you disconnect the slipper system from the bike the clutch will not slip at all. if the one way check valve is in the wrong way the clutch will have problems as the air cannot return from clutch cover.

the clutch will only slip if there is too much vacuum, not the other way around.

put it this way, if i thought there was a problem with the evo airbox kit, i wouldnt have installed one on the bike i just sent to Sport Rider to test

TheClaw
03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Alright....gimme a break guys. This is my first Aprilia. Don't make me feel like I can't ask a dumb question. There are plenty of those on this forum lamer than the one I posed. Now if I started talking about the Hp gains from an Agip sticker you have every right to flame me.

Live and learn,

Weather looks ridable this weekend around here if it stays dry.

jeff:bangwall:

TheClaw
03-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Clarkie,

When will Sport Rider publish your test?

Jeff

scott2ride
03-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by TheClaw
Alright....gimme a break guys. This is my first Aprilia. Don't make me feel like I can't ask a dumb question. jeff:bangwall:

I dont think anyone was giving you a hard time Jeff. They were simply answering the question. But you'll get used to the banter in the Aprilia forum. They are a great bunch of guys and Gals.

clarkie49
03-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by TheClaw
Clarkie,

When will Sport Rider publish your test?

Jeff

dunno, i will find out from kent if he ever gives my bike back :D

scott2ride
03-24-2004, 11:27 PM
I hope you also geared it down a few teeth, disconnected the flappa, changed to map2 and threw a full Aprilia Race system on it Clarkie....and then told then it was standard bike :D

TheClaw
03-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by scott2ride
I dont think anyone was giving you a hard time Jeff. They were simply answering the question. But you'll get used to the banter in the Aprilia forum. They are a great bunch of guys and Gals.

No worries, I've got thick skin. In my line of work you really need it. I have enjoyed this forum alot, the motorcylce and NON-motorcyle chat (now that's where you need some thick skin).

jeff

clarkie49
03-25-2004, 08:46 AM
I hope you also geared it down a few teeth, disconnected the flappa, changed to map2 and threw a full Aprilia Race system on it Clarkie....and then told then it was standard bike :D

as far as i am concerend it 'is' how the bike should have come standard :D

scott2ride
03-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
as far as i am concerend it 'is' how the bike should have come standard :D

Never a truer word spoken :D :D :D

mossback
03-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Never a truer word spoken :D :D :D

Who on this forum anyway: has NOT done all the mods they can? I think it is only $ that slows down the mod parade. I mean it is practically free horse power in the scheme of things.