PDA

View Full Version : Neutral problem RSV04 Factory

Lightspeed
03-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Anyone help on this? Picked up my new red factory yesterday :banana: but I cant get her into neutral when at traffic lights. I have to turn off the ignition to snick it into neutral...:confused:

Any one got any pearls....

Thanks all.

Lightspeed

captianradish
03-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Don't worry they all like that from new it will get better the more miles you do
my factorys done 2000 miles now and neutral is alot easier now
Karl

mossback
03-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Blead the clutch master and slave cylinder. You have air in the lines. Is the dealer close? Have him do it. You may need to add more fluid when you are done. The easy thing to do is get a number 11 wrench and a shop towel. Pull in and hold the clutch lever with one hand then open and close the bleed valve. You will hear little pops of air come out. That'll do it. You may have to do the slave too.

stinky
Try a search, there are 37.09 billion posts on this.

The short version is, it happens to all of 'em, try looking for neutral before you come to a stop, easier to find from second than from first, gets better with more miles. Also easier after riding long enough to get her good & warm.

Oh, yeah, try bleeding the clutch, it may also help.

Lightspeed
Cheers Karl,

That's reassuring :) I'd better hit the road then!

How does the bike go down at Eye Green?

Lightspeed

kwagga
03-24-2004, 04:15 AM
lightspeed,

Sorry no pearls .... The guys got it spot on. The Aprilia is a bitch to get into neutral, I have done 2000km.. Is getting better especially when the motor is well warmed-up (80-90 Celsius)

captianradish
03-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Lightspeed

The factory hasn't been down to eyegreen

Do I no you ?

I don't no any one else with a red factory

Karl

scott2ride
03-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Try putting a lighter weight engine oil in it.

My 02 had 20/50 and I changed to 10/40. It was like a different bike.

Look in the hand book and you'll find the bike takes all sorts of different grades of oil, depending on the climate.

So try lighter oil and you may be suprised!:D

mike71
03-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by kwagga
lightspeed,

Sorry no pearls .... The guys got it spot on. The Aprilia is a bitch to get into neutral, I have done 2000km.. Is getting better especially when the motor is well warmed-up (80-90 Celsius)

yep mine too!

vtrandall
03-29-2004, 11:34 PM
how about we start a new forum dedicated to bleeding the brakes and clutch :)

randall

Bremms
03-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Yea, a seperate forum would be a good idea.. remember though. On the
04 some of the literature says Dot 5 is used on the clutch. So you might want
to flush the system and not just add DOT4 If DOT5 is used it's really not good
for street use and should be replaced often. It looks from photo's that
some 04 Milles have integrated resevoirs and some have the seperate plastic
round thinigies.. has anyone seen one with the DUC 999 style resevoirs?
all the bikes seem to have little round plastic things.

m00c0w
03-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Easy way I have found is to stop at the lights, go up to second then back down in to neutral. Works every time for me anyway.

vtrandall
03-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Bremms
Yea, a seperate forum would be a good idea.. remember though. On the
04 some of the literature says Dot 5 is used on the clutch. So you might want
to flush the system and not just add DOT4 If DOT5 is used it's really not good
for street use and should be replaced often. It looks from photo's that
some 04 Milles have integrated resevoirs and some have the seperate plastic
round thinigies.. has anyone seen one with the DUC 999 style resevoirs?
all the bikes seem to have little round plastic things.

this is the first that I have heard about different reservoirs for the clutch.....any truth to this.....any pictures. (not talking about aftermarket stuff)

randall

vtrandall
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I posted this pic in another thread....this is my clutch cyl.

zx6racer
03-30-2004, 10:29 AM
My bike has about 200 miles on it at a stop light I put it in 2nd and then click down into neutral it seems to work for me :D

m00c0w
03-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by zx6racer
My bike has about 200 miles on it at a stop light I put it in 2nd and then click down into neutral it seems to work for me :D

Good, someone else finding this method to be useful.

Also, neutral whilst rolling to a stop is easy to find too.

Lightspeed
03-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Guys

Have bled the clutch system (and, yes, some air in there) and been for a couple of afternoon runs now and finding neutral is improving.

Cheers for all your input

Lightspeed

vtrandall
03-30-2004, 03:55 PM
"wow, that's what a clutch lever feels like.......oh my god....I can get it into neutral from first gear....and really easy!!"

I just bled the clutch master cylinder....bam! instant groovy clutch action. I didn't realize how spongey the lever really was until now.

took all of 5 minutes (if that)

thanks to some of the guys with suggestions

Randall

Merto
03-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by vtrandall
"wow, that's what a clutch lever feels like.......oh my god....I can get it into neutral from first gear....and really easy!!"

I just bled the clutch master cylinder....bam! instant groovy clutch action. I didn't realize how spongey the lever really was until now.

took all of 5 minutes (if that)

thanks to some of the guys with suggestions

Randall

Did you undo the bolt inside the reservoir as Ken suggested?

vtrandall
03-30-2004, 11:05 PM
well when I heard reservoir.....I am thinking the small container with the screw top....I couldn't find any screw/bolt inside this (remote) container?? And I was really looking....
I just hooked up some tubing to the bleeder nipple on the clutch master cylinder, took the top off the reservoir, opened the nipple, squeezed the clutch lever slowly, closed the nipple. I did this a couple of times. I ended up putting a little more fluid into the reservoir. Then repeated the open/squeeze/close.
This firmed up the lever -big time- and made getting into neutral butter smooth.

Randall