PDA

View Full Version : Smeeling fuel when stopped, pressurized tank

mille-ryan
03-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Went for a quick jont up in the mountains, oh yea its 72 right now in Colo Springs and clear, anyway coming back down into town, I stop and smell fuel. Thought it was the car in front of me but it kept happening.So when I got home, I could here the tank making some nasty ass sounds.popped the lid, well tried, slowy opened, and fuel vapor and some fuel came out, finally opened all the way and big woosh of vapor, and then the tank sounds MR. Coffee just bubbling away. Oh yea the light came on so I still have some fuel in there. Whats the fix for this crap, it aint gonna work once it gets warm in here the summer. Belive me fuel on yee ole nutsack is not sumthing I would like to try again in my life.

HixX
03-20-2004, 04:04 AM
"Belive me fuel on yee ole nutsack is not sumthing I would like to try again in my life."

Stings bad dont it.
:fangs:

Not has the same tank problem....maybe something to do with the fact the UK never gets above 20 degrees.;)

clarkie49
03-20-2004, 08:20 AM
ryan - give me a call at the shop today, got some ideas :cool:

mille-ryan
03-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Ok, will do once I fully wake up.

clarkie49
03-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by mille-ryan
Ok, will do once I fully wake up.

wake up or sober up :D

mille-ryan
03-20-2004, 04:41 PM
I dont drink, I work nights remember :D

clarkie49
03-20-2004, 09:12 PM
me either, but lately i have been thining about starting again :eek:

mille-ryan
03-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Lol, sorry man, I forgot about the stupid time difference, stupid east coast anyway ;) Ill get ya this week though.

sub-moa
03-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Lemme know if you guys have solution.. Mine's been doing this sporadically since I got it back in september... It's always hot in Texas!

mossback
03-20-2004, 10:37 PM
I have the occasional drip of gas coming out of one of the breather tubes. IS that from a scavanger unit?

mille-ryan
03-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Know what Moss, now that u mention it, I usually have a small puddle under the bike, guess Iknow what its from now.

clarkie49
03-21-2004, 08:43 AM
do you bikes have charcoal canisters?

mossback
03-21-2004, 11:04 AM
No I am in Washington state only the CA bikes have those correct? There is nothing in the trunk like I have read about it.

mille-ryan
03-21-2004, 04:38 PM
COLORADO Clarkie, not Califorina :D , jeez, forginers sumtimes, I tell ya :p:

just playin, no CALI crap on the bike

vtrandall
03-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Not sure if this is related but, I just got back from a ride and I encountered something possibly related to this issue.
After going out to the bike after we ate lunch I noticed that the bike was sort difficult to start. It didn't want to start right away. It took a couple of tries to get the bike to kick over.
The bike had been sitting in direct sun and I did notice that when I opened the gas cap it seemed to be quite pressurized, more than normal it seemed.
I am in CA and I still have the evap can attached. Speaking of the evap can, it seems to get quite warm. I noticed this when I went to take out my digital camera from the seat storage space.
The bike was running ok after this.

my 2 cents

randall

clarkie49
03-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by mille-ryan
COLORADO Clarkie, not Califorina :D , jeez, forginers sumtimes, I tell ya :p:

just playin, no CALI crap on the bike

you would be surprised how many bikes are actually 50 state bikes now, all the 2004 Tuonos are 50 state (with charcoal canister) and all the silver RSV-R's are CA/50 state as well.

yamaha have started this as well, and you can bet every OEM will only produce 50 state bikes in 2005.

as for your problem, i guess you are pretty much screwed then :D

mille-ryan
03-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Oh ddue, thats harsh. If you guys are open tomorrow, Ill give ya ring.

clarkie49
03-22-2004, 08:04 AM
try me tuesday :D

mossback
03-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
you would be surprised how many bikes are actually 50 state bikes now, all the 2004 Tuonos are 50 state (with charcoal canister) and all the silver RSV-R's are CA/50 state as well.

yamaha have started this as well, and you can bet every OEM will only produce 50 state bikes in 2005.

as for your problem, i guess you are pretty much screwed then :D

But mine is Red. IF it had the canister it would be in the trunk right? What is the canister in the engine compartment called?

Norcal Factory
03-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi all,

I had the same problem. There was a posting "What's wrong with my bike?" that descibes it.

Thanks to Clarkie's advise and a lot of work from my dealer (12-15 hours ) plus help from Aprilia's service department, I can point you to the two likely potential causes.

First, check the one-way vacuum valve that goes from your tank towards the charcoal canister in the storage compartment. If you don't have a canister, just check the line from the tank until you see the one way valve. It is accessible by removing the seat - itís on the right side between the frame and the carbon or plastic side panel. There is a decal with the system flow on the right side of your bike (US models). for more information.

Take off the hose connection at the one-way valve that goes to the tank and blow on the valve to see if it lets the tank relieve pressure away from the tank and towards the charcoal canister. If it does not let air pass through, switch it around and check it again. Some of these were labeled with the arrow in the wrong direction. There are three of these on the bike. 1 for the slipper clutch, 1 for the airbox flapper valve and 1 for the gas tank pressure release. My bike had two that were flowing opposite to the labeled arrow.

After this happened, it caused a secondary problem: a particularly nasty intermittent fault in the fuel pump assy that made the bike cut out intermittently above 4,000 RPM after riding for 50 minutes or so. The dealer interacted quit a bit with Aprilia to get to the bottom of this so your dealer would do well to check with their factory service rep.

The second thing to check is the gas cap overfill line that goes from the tank to the bottom of the bike to be sure it is not pinched when you close the tank. You can check it without removing the tank by grabbing it on the left side of the bike as it comes down to the bottom of the bike and moving it up and down to check that is free and clear. Or take the tank off and look at where it goes. Mine was pinched.

Good luck! And get it fixed before a secondary problem occurs.

mille-ryan
03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
cool thanks for the tip. Gonna go try right now, because its a beutiful 70 degree day in Colorado :banana: :banana: :banana:

mossback
03-22-2004, 04:38 PM
As a side note: I rode 470 miles yesterday and I had no trouble at all with fuel smell or drips. I think my issue may have resolved it self with nearly 11 hours in the saddle. Great day by the way! I found 161 on the speedo, could'a done more but ran out of road; great brakes.

:banana:

sub-moa
03-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Well I tried looking for the one way valve... Nada. THe 2 overflow lines from the tank are indeed on the right side. THey go back about six inches then loop back towards the engine and go down to the bottom of the bike. I checked them all the way down and there weren't any one way valves there... Ugh...

Anything else I can try?

Norcal Factory
03-23-2004, 08:08 PM
If you are saying that the two breather lines from the tank are un-obstructed and go straight through to the airstream, blow them to see if they are free and clear. If that doesn't help and you are sure there are no breather tube one-way valves, it's time for your dealer to bet involved.

mille-ryan
03-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Well my dealer is pretty much invovled. There are no check valves on my bike, we looked. Also blew thru the vent lines, its all good, even tried with the cap closed.Its freaking weird, nothing pinched when the tank is down either.

Hey Clarkie If I get up before 2 or 3 one time this week Ill call, I sleep a lot.:D

CarlosT
04-02-2004, 04:52 PM
I was just taking apart the charconister system and as soon as I detached the one-way valve from the line, I noticed a good bit of pressurized gasoline fumes exhaling from the vent line...I was waiting for the gas to come out next. My tank was full and it was propped up.

Is it the general concensus that you should leave the one-way valve in the system AFTER you remove the entire charconister system? That would seem to make no sense.