PDA

View Full Version : Oil level oddity

mossback
03-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Hello collective,

Perhaps you have read my trevails regarding the leaking oil tank.

When I refilled the tank last night I had filled it to about just less than half way about 2 1/2 quarts. Started the bike and let it warm. The oil level started lowered past the bottom of the tank, I stopped the engine and added a touch more oil to make it visible again. Restarted the engine and then the reverse happened it rose past the top of the tank sight glass. I stopped it again and removed some oil. Now this AM I am went and looked at it and it looks fine about half way. This is what I am used to seeing in the past with the bike. I read some older posts on this subject but feel I would like some feed back. Am I being a dumb ass?

Is it ok to ride now?

:rolleyes:

clarkie49
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
if you start with the bike completely empty of oil, and this includes the transmission as well (6mm allen size right behind the filter), you should be able to get almost 3 quarts in before you have to start it, then add 1 more quart.

yep, 4 quarts total, when starting from totally drained, some people forget that there is almost a quart in the transmission.

you will need to let the bike warm up and wait until the fans have cycled at least twice before you get a true level reading.

hope this helps

lunchbox
03-20-2004, 12:03 AM
i couldnt get the bolt out od the engine to drain it. I was afraid that i would round it off or something. how much does just the tank hold?

mossback
03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
if you start with the bike completely empty of oil, and this includes the transmission as well (6mm allen size right behind the filter), you should be able to get almost 3 quarts in before you have to start it, then add 1 more quart.

yep, 4 quarts total, when starting from totally drained, some people forget that there is almost a quart in the transmission.

you will need to let the bike warm up and wait until the fans have cycled at least twice before you get a true level reading.

hope this helps

Thanks mate.

Slopie
03-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi Lunchbox

I have had the bolt head actually break off - no worries getting it out as it does not seat against anything when the head has broken off. Just anoying when it happens on the night befor a track day and no dealer is open.

Regads

Slopie

DockingPilot
03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I changed mine for the first time (125 mile) both oil tank and tranny+ filter. Filled with 3 quarts, started and ran it for 1 minute, than added another quart(4 total). However, when I look at my site tube when cold its about 3/4 full, after running it it shows it be overfilled. I'm puzzled. I let it drain while on the side stand for an hour. This leads me to a question: Do you believe your oil should be changed hot or cold(all oil drained to bottom)?
:confused:

Scotteq
03-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by DockingPilot
I changed mine for the first time (125 mile) both oil tank and tranny+ filter. Filled with 3 quarts, started and ran it for 1 minute, than added another quart(4 total). However, when I look at my site tube when cold its about 3/4 full, after running it it shows it be overfilled. I'm puzzled. I let it drain while on the side stand for an hour. This leads me to a question: Do you believe your oil should be changed hot or cold(all oil drained to bottom)?
:confused:

Did you undo both drain plugs???

In addition to the 10mm one underneath the sump, there's a second one located just aft of the filter cover. That particular drain plus also has a magnet built into it, so inspect for loose steel particles while you have it off. On my Falco it was originally installed by a Mountain Gorilla with an impact wrench, so be forewarned.

If you did not drain from there, then you're about a QT overfull.

Scott :)

DockingPilot
03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Yup, but both plugs.

clarkie49
03-21-2004, 08:26 PM
if you drain the oil hot, then tip the bike onto its side stand more will come out, then when it has stopped draining tip the bike upright again, and more will come out.

the tranny is really hard to get everything out, i thought i had one bike totally empty and then when i tipped the bike upright again more drained out, crazy stuff.

i would warm the engine but let it cool for 20-30 minutes first

Bremms
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
I did my second oil change yesterday 2.6K and I did the whole warm-up
and it seems to be higher than I would like. I have done about 20
oil changes on Milles and the warm-up to operating temp is really the way
to go. Otherwise the reading is all over the lot(usually goes High).
Probably not much help...

I used Siklolene 15w-50 Synthetic. The bike really liked the new oil even after
only 2k (I usually change@1500-2K) maybe it was my imagination....

My Clutch/Rear Brake bleeding issue is fine now, It seems to take
about three bleeds to get the system perfect. For the clutch, all the air seems
to come up to the top. Bleed The Master Cyl. first and last. I put a banjo with
bleeder on the rear brake master. I found if you want to bleed the rear brake properly you need to get the caliper (remove) as high as you can with the bleeder at the highest point(makes sense). USE FLUID FROM A SEALED CONTAINER!!!

Norcal Factory
03-22-2004, 03:04 PM
USE FLUID FROM A SEALED CONTAINER!!!

I have always wondered what this means exactly. I see it in manuals all the time.

Is it ok to use fluid multiple times from a container that is always sealed, but had the seal broken a couple of months ago? OR, do you guys buy new bottles of fluid every time you bleed the clutch and throw out 90% of the bottle each time so that you have "new" fluid each time you add or bleed the system?