PDA

View Full Version : Corroded Bolts !

HixX
03-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Damn it !
I tried to remove the rear hugger and the fekkin bolts are siezed in. All four of the gits !.
I remember TF posting the same problems - anyone got tips on how to get them out ? Without using heat.

The bolts used to hold the front mudgaurd on were pretty solid too - but I managed to get them out and re-fitted them lubed up.

Thunder Factory
03-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by HixX
Damn it !
I tried to remove the rear hugger and the fekkin bolts are siezed in. All four of the gits !.
I remember TF posting the same problems - anyone got tips on how to get them out ? Without using heat.

The bolts used to hold the front mudgaurd on were pretty solid too - but I managed to get them out and re-fitted them lubed up.

Exactly the same situation I faced although I managed to get 3 out with extreme care but the fourth just rung the head clean off.

I seem to remember a tip about giving the heads a sharp tap with a hammer and a punch before removing them to loosen the bond.

Out of interest see if you have mild steel washers under the bolts when you remove them.

HixX
03-19-2004, 03:03 PM
I will give em a "tap" allright !! he he.

I will let you know if I manage to get em out.

m00c0w
03-20-2004, 03:23 PM
I've heard about this corrosion crap on this bike. Can't say I am to impressed as for the money I would of expected decent build, and instead, I have a Suzuki :fangs:

I spray my bike with Scottoiler FS 365. Seems to be doing the trick so far.

Smoke Eater
03-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Its a common problem. A little Anti-Seize prevents it. I did the same thing. Broke off two of the bolt heads. I got one out with the Craftsman kit but the second one actually broke the remover bit. It sucked. I ended up drilling the bolt out and retapping the hole. Its a lot easier than it sounds. You'll want to borrow a right angle drill though. Go VERY, VERY slowly.

Good luck and be patient.

Thunder Factory
03-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by m00c0w
I've heard about this corrosion crap on this bike. Can't say I am to impressed as for the money I would of expected decent build, and instead, I have a Suzuki :fangs:

I spray my bike with Scottoiler FS 365. Seems to be doing the trick so far.

Best solution is to remove the hugger and the front fender bolts asap and use something like coppa slip on them.

Sad thing is I know this from previous experience (not just on the Aprilia) and did not do it.

Lesson learned on my part I'm passing on . :fangs:

m00c0w
03-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
Best solution is to remove the hugger and the front fender bolts asap and use something like coppa slip on them.

Sad thing is I know this from previous experience (not just on the Aprilia) and did not do it.

Lesson learned on my part I'm passing on . :fangs:

Not a bad idea either.

Think I might try and look in to that this week if I get time.

Thunder Factory
03-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Seriously I'd make time if I were you, it's not a big job and the effect of the climate in the UK at this time of year only increases the chemical reaction between the steel bolt and the alloy thread.

:fangs:

wolly
03-21-2004, 05:12 PM

Lesson learned on my part I'm passing on .

Thunder, thanks for the advice. I did it as soon as i read your first message. The fender bolts did come out easy but the bolt from the swingarm pickups (for paddock stand) were a little harder to loosen.

Rob

HixX
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
The bastards wont budge ! Got one to turn, just a little, it made a very bad, corroded in type squeal. So I stopped.
I will wait until winter time and remove s/arm to drill them out, or maybe they will have corroded away completely by then.:gunner:

Thunder Factory
03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
The bastards wont budge ! Got one to turn, just a little, it made a very bad, corroded in type squeal. So I stopped.
I will wait until winter time and remove s/arm to drill them out, or maybe they will have corroded away completely by then.:gunner:

Hixx

Get your dealer to sort it under warranty as I did.

Why take the risk of damaging the swingarm next winter, let him do the work.

:peace:

HixX
04-03-2004, 04:26 PM
MUUHAAHAA !!
I got em out....little fekkers!
T-bar allen key + twatting from hammer = loose bolts.

I have replaced them with some sexy Ti bolts and slung the old ones down the bottom of the garden, never to be seen by human eyes again.:gunner:

Thunder Factory
04-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Where did you get the Ti bolts and how much?

HixX
04-04-2004, 02:54 AM
www.tastynuts.com

BE WARNED - you dont always get what you ordered, and sometimes you have to chase em up via the phone as they just forget to post them out.
BUT, they do loads of bolt kits for different bikes in blue, gold and natural.
Ti - say goodbye to corrosion and the contents of your wallet :)

Thunder Factory
04-04-2004, 03:01 AM
www.tastynuts.com

BE WARNED - you dont always get what you ordered, and sometimes you have to chase em up via the phone as they just forget to post them out.
BUT, they do loads of bolt kits for different bikes in blue, gold and natural.
Ti - say goodbye to corrosion and the contents of your wallet :)

Thanks Hixx, I'll take alook later.

As for the contents of my wallet, they went West ages ago, I must stop adding stuff to the bike! :D