PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide Dorso vs Multistrada

CessnaTPA
12-10-2010, 10:53 PM
For months now I have been debating between two bikes and can't decide which way to go. And would like to get some input on why I should get the DD over the new Multistrada 1200. In case you're not familiar with the Multistrada here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRDzCAeJU0
The pro's for me getting the standard MS would be:
1- more comfortable seat for longer rides
2- 20HP more, torque about equal
3- 50 pounds lighter
4- Larger fuel tank
5- windscreen
6- comes in red
7- larger dealer network
8- Girlfriend would go on more rides with more comfortable seat(that may be a con lol)
9- Available now, Dorso won't be out until late Spring 2011
10- End of the year deals on 2010's

Pro's for me getting Dorsoduro:
1- IMHO better looking front end, though I could learn to live with the bird beak.
2- MSRP $3k cheaper
3- Appears to be a more fun hooligan bike.
4-IMHO better quality fit and attention to detail then ducati, examples: the MS I saw had a loose rear taillight which I'm told is "normal", electrical wiring was not routed very neatly and ty rap ends not cut properly (I'm a electrician and picky on stuff like that)
5- Cheaper maintenance since my dealer doesn't have a problem with me doing it myself (currently own aprilia shiver)
6- aprilia being a more exclusive bike

V4Victory
12-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Ride them both first , don't believe the hype

ferdi
12-11-2010, 06:43 AM
I think the Multistrada is the more verstile bike, I personally would buy an Multistrada.
my son is working in a Ducati garage, he only tells good things about the multistrada. excellent bike.

The Dorsoduro I have never tried and driven, but what I think, not made for long rides and vacations, just for short rounds and tours.

marksim
12-11-2010, 07:29 AM
For months now I have been debating between two bikes and can't decide which way to go. And would like to get some input on why I should get the DD over the new Multistrada 1200. In case you're not familiar with the Multistrada here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRDzCAeJU0
The pro's for me getting the standard MS would be:
1- more comfortable seat for longer rides
2- 20HP more, torque about equal
3- 50 pounds lighter
4- Larger fuel tank
5- windscreen
6- comes in red
7- larger dealer network
8- Girlfriend would go on more rides with more comfortable seat(that may be a con lol)
9- Available now, Dorso won't be out until late Spring 2011
10- End of the year deals on 2010's

Pro's for me getting Dorsoduro:
1- IMHO better looking front end, though I could learn to live with the bird beak.
2- MSRP $3k cheaper
3- Appears to be a more fun hooligan bike.
4-IMHO better quality fit and attention to detail then ducati, examples: the MS I saw had a loose rear taillight which I'm told is "normal", electrical wiring was not routed very neatly and ty rap ends not cut properly (I'm a electrician and picky on stuff like that)
5- Cheaper maintenance since my dealer doesn't have a problem with me doing it myself (currently own aprilia shiver)
6- aprilia being a more exclusive bike

Test ride them both but also test the New Triumph speed triple.It certainly wont do any harm and you may be pleasantly surprized.

CessnaTPA
12-11-2010, 08:08 AM
My aprilia dealer doesn't allow demo rides.

Quarantine
12-11-2010, 09:17 AM
it depends on where most your riding will be done.
If you do lots of touring then the Multi is the obvious choice.
But for normal street urban riding DD wins.
I love Ducatis but I don't care for the Multi's looks. For touring have you considered KTM?

CessnaTPA
12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
it depends on where most your riding will be done.
If you do lots of touring then the Multi is the obvious choice.
But for normal street urban riding DD wins.
I love Ducatis but I don't care for the Multi's looks. For touring have you considered KTM?

I've put about 12k miles on my shiver in 1.5 years, I do alot of group riding and our typical rides are 100-200 miles in a day with a lunch break.
KTM was in the running but I've narrowed it down to two.
I hear you on the MS looks, all my friends hate the looks but I'm not buying a bike for them.

olie
12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
My aprilia dealer doesn't allow demo rides.

...so don't buy from them...

andydj31
12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
All depends the type of use you make of the bike. I think that DD is a bike for daily use not for long mileage in one day! :p: Very funny and adrenalinic!
With MS have a little bit of comfort, load capability and wind protection.
Aprilia cheaper maintance... Ducati expensive price and for maintance too...

Aprilia? DO IT BETTER!! :lame:

jrflanne
12-21-2010, 07:42 AM
The Multistrada is one ugly motorcycle. I would take a hack saw to that stupid beak. I'm sure it is a fine bike but the electrics everything will cause problems eventually if they are anything like my old ST4. I've never ridden the Dorso 750 but for an around town motard I would have to consider the Duke 690.

CessnaTPA
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I put a down payment on a 2010 Multistrada standard today and will be picking it up tomorrow. I think I got a decent deal with $2500 off. I've got the next 6 days off from work and tomorrows in the mid 60's and 70's the rest of the week. :banana: I still love my shiver and don't plan on getting rid of it.

caborado
12-31-2010, 02:57 AM
Good for you... every garage needs as many bikes as it takes to cover the various types of riding you do.

Please send warm weather out here.... think it is going to get close to 0F (below -25C for the metrics).

george_grat
01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
1rst you have to ride them.
2nd the price's are completely different between them
3rd Ducati are very expensive on service and parts

Dorso is more cheaper and you can play more easy than Ducati but if you want bike for longer rides then Ducati is one way. Dorso is not for longer rides.

CessnaTPA
01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
1rst you have to ride them.
2nd the price's are completely different between them
3rd Ducati are very expensive on service and parts

Dorso is more cheaper and you can play more easy than Ducati but if you want bike for longer rides then Ducati is one way. Dorso is not for longer rides.

Guess you didn't see my post from 3 weeks ago, I ended up getting the Ducati.
Price was only $500 difference since I got a good deal on a 2010.
Service is free since I do my own maintenance and for 2 years it's under warranty. I'm very happy with it so far and I'm sure I would of been also with the DD, it was a tough choice.

I'm really surprised of the lack of interest on here about the DD 1200, there hadn't been a post in over 3 weeks. It's been released for months in Europe and I'm still waiting to see a post of someone finally getting one. Hopefully that will change once the USA gets them.

Centerline
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Service is free since I do my own maintenance and for 2 years it's under warranty. I'm very happy with it so far and I'm sure I would of been also with the DD, it was a tough choice.

I'm really surprised of the lack of interest on here about the DD 1200, there hadn't been a post in over 3 weeks. It's been released for months in Europe and I'm still waiting to see a post of someone finally getting one. Hopefully that will change once the USA gets them.
Way to go on the new Ducati MS, supremely capable and fast beast! I have visited (online) several UK Aprilia websites and the bikeshops say they will be getting their DD1200's in Feb. I am patiently awaiting my DD1200, expected possibly in April.

Bravo on ya for doing your own maintenance on the Ducati. I'm not brave/talented enough for the Desmo valves on them.

GUV
03-02-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm interested in the DD but I'd hate to get one then they release a DD Factory with all those things that you wished the standard DD had.

GUV.

jrflanne
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM

So, you get a Multistrada and you don't post pics. No opinions or ride reports. I figure it is one of two things.
1) You are riding the piss out of it and don't have time.
2) The Jimmy Durante of motorcycles is too ugly to be let out in public. :kidding:

Seriously, what do you think. I have heard good things.

CessnaTPA
03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
So, you get a Multistrada and you don't post pics. No opinions or ride reports. I figure it is one of two things.
1) You are riding the piss out of it and don't have time.
2) The Jimmy Durante of motorcycles is too ugly to be let out in public. :kidding:

Seriously, what do you think. I have heard good things.

I have been riding the piss out of it (almost 3k miles in 2 months) and loving every minute. I still love my shiver but the acceleration from 150hp is exhilarating, it's awesome when the front end lifts just from the power in 2nd gear. It's exactly the power, handling and comfort I was looking for. I did alot of research and talked to owners who only had good things to say about the bike and now I'm one of them.

I hear ya on the Durante looks, the nose of the bike was always a negative for me but I've grown to like it. I've always liked unique looking bikes (ie:shiver) I'm very happy with the Multistrada and would buy it again.

Picture before I took it home.

jrflanne
03-04-2011, 12:37 PM
It looks like a beautiful day. I could imagine myself riding one of those one day. It will take a couple years of proving itself though.

Strada_photos
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I have a 750DD and a Multistrada 1200 and the Ducati really is all things to all men.

It commutes, it scratches, it tours, will handle light off-road use, takes a pillion in comfort, has decent luggage options and you have to experience the engine to believe it - the 1200 L has to be one of the best engines ever created and has the suspension and brakes to match.

Some bits are a bit flimsey but in general the bike is very sound.

At 11k for the base version, it's an absolute bargain!

Take a long test ride if you can because after a couple or hours you won't want to give it back.

http://palmerproducts.auto.officelive.com/images/04092010620a.jpg

Grug
03-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Good call on the Multi, looks like one hell of a do-it-all bike!

I for one actually really like the look of it, though that may have something to do with me having seen the OLD multistrada - which could make a person vomit involuntarily from 50 yards away (it really was that ugly).

The DD 1200 must be one hell of a scratcher though, I'd love to hear more about it (perhaps it's time to see if there are any down here I can test ride?).

Scubajoey
03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
If I get a deal on the Caponord by end of this summer, I'm grabbing myself a Multistrada.
She is one cool looking bike, and light...

Coming from streetfighter bikes, I always found the 19" wheel on the Capo a big change, and top heavy, but love the Capo v-twin grunt.

Hey CessnaTPA, don't forget to give us a ride report...

wilkson
03-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Go the MTS 1200 it really is a do everything machine. I love mine

rob100961
03-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Has nobody bought the 1200 Dos yet? Still!

Are Aprilia having some problems with it??

Is this the first Aprilia bike to feature the new 1200 engine???

Has anyone got some info?

Rob

CessnaTPA
03-30-2011, 07:09 AM

Rob

I know of one guy on here who has one and a few in the US have one on order.

Grug
04-08-2011, 06:41 AM
I know of one guy on here who has one and a few in the US have one on order.

Are you planning to keep both the Shiver and the Multi? I seems to me that they're both quite similar in style and intent (i.e. all-rounder type bikes).

Strada_Stu
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Rob

I think there are a couple of people have admitted to buying a 1200 Dorso on here, but I don't think they visit us much, so no real reports about them yet. I have only ever seen 1 in the UK and that was in a show room.

Not heard about any problems with the 1200, but then it is almost exactly the same as the 750 bike, just different parts to make the engine CC bigger and larger petrol tank etc.

Yes this is the first bike with this engine in its 1200 capacity. The 750 version of this engine is in the SHIVER and Dorsoduro 750.

The real differences between 1200 and 750 Dorsoduros are on this forum thread and you can see them on Aprilias website.

Why are you buying one ?

Hinckley
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Rob

My local dealer is not doing a demo bike :WTF:
I wanted a 1200 Shiver but as it don't look like they're going to make one I looked at the new DD1200 at the dealers, but I aint buying a bike I can't test ride first.

CessnaTPA
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Are you planning to keep both the Shiver and the Multi? I seems to me that they're both quite similar in style and intent (i.e. all-rounder type bikes).

The plan for now is to keep the shiver, I still really like it. But I have to admit since I got the multi I have only put about 300 miles on the shiver and have over 3k on ducati. It's only been 3 months so it might just be the newness why i'm not riding the shiver. If they ever decide to release a 1200 shiver I might concider trading it. Not saying the shiver is slow but it feels underpowered after riding a 1200.

JDV500
07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Cessna,
I recently bought the mts 1200 about 3 weeks after getting the new dorso 1200. i love them both, often hot swapping for a second ride session. the ducati has very little engine breaking and maintains it's momentum vrs the dorso that likes to decel rapidly with the throttle off abuptly. Both have exceptional headlights, not needing high beam except for sideways deer spotting. I not remembering their weights, but couldn't care less they point and change directions in step with you're thinking, even in mid corner. Both have huge service intervals for minor and major maint. The mts1200 is easier to go fast on to me, when the road permits, you cant hear the stock exhaust at all at speed and the windscreen does a great job of forming a bubble for you.
I love the dorso for the twisty mountains and it's forward, semi crotch rocket sitting postion vrs the mts1200's upright sight seeing posture. i bought the mts because i had to have it, had to have a capable 2 up machine and i had to have a ducati, the mts 1200 was perfect and available at a great price for me, the aftermarket for the mts1200 is huge and everywhere. Both have great roll on power entering the highway, the ducati, i don't have to hold on tight or lean forward, as on the dorso where i am a parachute. Both have clunky gearboxes, the mts more so tyhe the doroso, but shifting is firm and have'nt missed a gear yet. Nothing shifts like my RSV4, ultra soft and precise.
They both are great machines, top end components, great lookers, and perform flawlessly, you can't go wrong with either. With that, settle for the one that makes you happy, weather it looks better or has a better price point to you.

I just scrolled up and saw that you got the ducati, i'm going to enter this anyway and read, if any, the return comments.

CessnaTPA
07-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Wow u own a RSV4, DD1200 and a MTS1200! :worship:

Thanks for the comparison... I wonder if the little engine braking u notice with the Duc is from the slipper clutch action?

Just curious, if u could only keep one of the 1200's which would it be and why?

Cessna,
I recently bought the mts 1200 about 3 weeks after getting the new dorso 1200. i love them both, often hot swapping for a second ride session. the ducati has very little engine breaking and maintains it's momentum vrs the dorso that likes to decel rapidly with the throttle off abuptly. Both have exceptional headlights, not needing high beam except for sideways deer spotting. I not remembering their weights, but couldn't care less they point and change directions in step with you're thinking, even in mid corner. Both have huge service intervals for minor and major maint. The mts1200 is easier to go fast on to me, when the road permits, you cant hear the stock exhaust at all at speed and the windscreen does a great job of forming a bubble for you.
I love the dorso for the twisty mountains and it's forward, semi crotch rocket sitting postion vrs the mts1200's upright sight seeing posture. i bought the mts because i had to have it, had to have a capable 2 up machine and i had to have a ducati, the mts 1200 was perfect and available at a great price for me, the aftermarket for the mts1200 is huge and everywhere. Both have great roll on power entering the highway, the ducati, i don't have to hold on tight or lean forward, as on the dorso where i am a parachute. Both have clunky gearboxes, the mts more so tyhe the doroso, but shifting is firm and have'nt missed a gear yet. Nothing shifts like my RSV4, ultra soft and precise.
They both are great machines, top end components, great lookers, and perform flawlessly, you can't go wrong with either. With that, settle for the one that makes you happy, weather it looks better or has a better price point to you.

I just scrolled up and saw that you got the ducati, i'm going to enter this anyway and read, if any, the return comments.

wilmar13
07-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Just curious, if u could only keep one of the 1200's which would it be and why?

:plus:

JDV500
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Great question,

My financial officer here and i have sat out on the porch cooling off after a riding session on either of the bikes and posed the very same question, more then once, if there could be only one. She loves them all and understands the design/ intent and abilities between each of them.

My answer not hers is, you can take back the rsv4 and the aprilia, and leave me with just the ducati to ride for life, even in a post world war setting for a do it all bike, to get you through.

Why.? the ducati's engine is proven, doesn't run even close to hot (indicated) even when it's baking outside, all day friendly posture, spacious cockpit, deceiving power on reserve, excellent brakes, i can actually find neutral on it when downshifting to a red light, positive shifting feel, off road capable without abuse, suspension works great when dialed in for the extra weight of a passenger on the gas and stopping hard and everything inbetween and lastly it looks cosmetically like they let the enginnering staff have some fun and dare to push outside of tradition.

The engine braking you mentioned is way more on the dorso then the mts, very abrupt drag making you push back off the bars, but great for late braking.

However, for a quick after work blast, (20/30 minutes with exhaust sound) it would be the dorso 1200, it makes you attack, leans you forward and begs to rev and reward, corners like a sportbike and growls deep and pulls hard, terrific fun, great bike in form, fit and function. Lastly, the rsv4 1000 that i bought first , has the least amount of miles on it and for good reason, i'm still alive and smiling, i dare only ride this monster in small doses, mechanically, it's incredible....
i bought these three additions to my stable in this order, rsv4, dorso, mts 1200. sitting here now and how reality has played out for me, it clearly should have went in the complete opposite order.... ** all three of these bikes have gotten better with miles, the highest mile bike of this three is 5oo miles as of last night.

wilmar13
07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
i bought these three additions to my stable in this order, rsv4, dorso, mts 1200. sitting here now and how reality has played out for me, it clearly should have went in the complete opposite order.... ** all three of these bikes have gotten better with miles, the highest mile bike of this three is 5oo miles as of last night.

OK yes we get it, they are great bikes...so you are forced to sell two of the three which one (besides the RSV4) gets put on the auction block. Come on man, this is important! :lol:

The MTS is clearly the best jack of all trades bike, no question but at a premium price.

Let me as this another way, as I am struggling to find the next bike in my stable, and like the Dorsoduro but wonder if it is too narrowly focused: Does the Mrs. hate riding on the back of the Dorsoduro? Would you mind doing big miles on the Dorsoduro? If you only wanted to spend $13k cash on a bike would you have the Dorsoduro in your garage, or would you be making payments on a MTS (or waiting another year or so until used MTS-S were plentiful at that price point)?

Centerline
07-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I have no Multstrada experience, but a little DD1200 experience. The most miles yet in one day has been 650. I have the stock seat on the bike, which for me is a little more comfi than the gel-seat I had on a 750DD. I was ready to get off the bike at each fuel stop (100-120miles) and walk around a bit. The 1200 offers a seat that you can move fore and aft to help mitigate fatigue. The engine is very smooth running and transmits little vibration into the frame, handlebars or footpegs... no problems with vibes. The vented, mini-wind deflector works quite well and is effective in keeping windblast under control. Windblast is not the slightest issue for me until perhaps 85mph and higher (that would include effects of headwind additives)

For a apples to oranges comparison, my KTM 950 Adventure provided superb comfort on long road trips and I was quite happy in the saddle on long roadtrips and not fatigued during rides covering its highway range of 225-250+ miles.

Complete apples comparison would be my Harley Fat Bob, on which I have put several 1,000+ mile days and one 1250 mile day. When riding behind a windshield on it, I will sometimes go 2 gas stops without even getting off the bike. I just pull up to a pump, stick a credit card into the pump, fil 'er up and go. It's highway range is 200-250 miles.

Just posting the stuff about the other bikes to say I like being in the saddle on extended highway rides. I'll ride the Dorso long distance, but I'm ready to get off at frequent intervals. Where it is best for me is around town and on very tight twisty roads.:)

wilmar13
07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
My answer not hers is, you can take back the rsv4 and the aprilia, and leave me with just the ducati to ride for life, even in a post world war setting for a do it all bike, to get you through.

JDV500 ignore my post above :o... I misread this. My quasi-dyslexic brain interpreted her answer not yours, and I thought you skirted the question.... I have read lots of posts that the pillion is great on the MTS so I probably assumed she was most comfortable on the MTS.

Good feedback to know on the MTS.

Now the most important question: which one is easier to wheelie? :devil:

CessnaTPA
07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=wilmar13;2883865
Now the most important question: which one is easier to wheelie? :devil:[/QUOTE]

I know on the mts in 1st gear if u were to snap on the throttle it will flip u all the way back on ur a$$. Doing that in 2nd between 5-8k rpms will lift the front for a nice wheelie. It will wheelie in 3rd but u need to clutch it.
Im getting a smaller front sprocket and im told it turns it into even more of a wheelie monster.

JDV500
07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
wilmart, i didnt ignore you or your we get it comment.
i've ben busy, chores and riding. not to mention goodies shopping for the bikes. the bikes are priced high there i see in nc state, , i used to be stationed there. the dorso was 11,2 and the mts was 12,5 for me off the floor, out the door.
to answer your question, the mrs doesn't prefer the dorso so much as i have a problem with my throttle hand even as we leave the driveway in a calm sight seeing mode., i have the puig extended windscreen on it ans it still gives me a good constant blast of wind when i'm cruising at 70. the mts 12 with it's stock windscreen in the up position, is very peaceful and livable at the same speed. also, the mrs prefers the raised seat posture of the mts over the flat seated dorso. she loves to tour and ride on the back 2 up, i liked hearing that in her as that opened the door for my wanting to add the ducati, my first duc to my lineup., which would i get or wait for, you cant go wrong, your call.

JDV500
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
wilmar, excuse my tone, i didn't see your last post,

just reached 600 miles (service time)on the dorso, have to park it and log miles now on the other two, so as i can haul more then one bike to the dealership which is out of state next to me over in georgia.

while i'm there i'll have them throw on an exhaust on the mts, can't stand how quiet it is, i need to hear/ feel my rev's not search for them in an instrument cluster.

wilmar13
07-25-2011, 10:38 AM
wilmar, excuse my tone, i didn't see your last post,

No worries! :cheers:

Just another confirmation that a passenger friendly jack-of-all-trades bike with sport bike power is a class of one; the MTS 1200.

I had a Hypermotard and I sold it planning to get the MTS before thinking about taxes and dealer fees adding +$3k to the price I had allowed myself to accept. Pretty sure the Dorsoduro would be like the Hypermotard with a lot more power and a little more weight. I miss the Hypermotard and the price of the MTS still has me non-committal. I like the Dorso 1200 and think it would be almost as good as the MTS for my desires…but sometimes settling for almost results in more severe buyers remorse than paying more than you want to spend. Everything is a compromise.

I think the prudent course would be to wait until some slightly used MTS 1200’s become available at a price point closer to the Dorsoduro’s… I have not found anything near the prices I have heard about PM wise… but I haven’t looked other than doing Jaxed searchs of fleabay and craigslist.

For now I will continue to read reviews of the Dorsoduro and wait for the Husky Nuda, while watching for a reasonably priced demo or used MTS.

JDV500
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
wilmar,

how do you like that sxv 5.5, it's the motard version.? came very close to putting that one on the trailer last time i was on the showroom, but couldn't justify what i would use it for other then to drool over and disrute my sleep cycle. i still want one, ....

wilmar13
07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
It is a beast, with a violent power delivery and a great wicked sound... I find bikes that scare you a bit are the most fun, and this one is very fun!

I am not happy with the handling yet, but I think that can be fixed with aftermarket triples. But it isn't good for an everyday bike... awesome race bike, but need something like the MTS 1200 or Dorso 1200 for an everyday bike.