PDA

View Full Version : No Wheelie Traction Control

marksim
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi everybody,
could someone please enlighten me with this horrible thought.
Is it true that the new 1200 will not wheelie with the traction control on and worst of all it cannot be switched on or off whilst on the move ?

mckee
12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
we don't have to worry about that in the states

marksim
12-01-2010, 04:55 PM
yea and you dont have to pay for it either,ours would be cheaper if we could get them without aswell. Just under £10k here.Its amazing how bikes specs vary so much in different countries.And i here that Canada struggle to get most bikes ?

Centerline
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi everybody,
Is it true that the new 1200 will not wheelie with the traction control on and worst of all it cannot be switched on or off whilst on the move ?

The traction control can be turned off, perhaps not while ---GASP, end of world !--
not while underway; I don't know...
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1011_aprilia_dorsoduro_1200_first_ride/index.html

Strada_Stu
12-02-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Aprilia/Aprilia-Dorsoduro-1200-2010-current/Aprilia/DORSODURO-1200/_/R-EPI-127677

If you want to have supermoto fun on the Aprilia you can turn the electronic rider aids off as it wonít slide or wheelie with them switched on. The only thing is you canít do it on the move and have to stop.

I like the idea of being able to turn it off if need be. I think it would also be useful to be able to do it on the move.

marksim
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Id prefere the cheaper option like our american friends.No traction control,ABS,less money and more fun.But it dont look like we get the choice.Hate paying for stuff you dont want or need.
Fecking euro buro cats.

Ibicker
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes you have to stop to change the traction control. There are three settings. In the first setting you can just lift the front wheel before it cuts the revs. Never had a bike with traction control and ABS before. My only thoughts would be that with all the gadgets switched on and the power set to rain mode it may give you a bit more confidence on ice and snow.

marksim
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Yes you have to stop to change the traction control. There are three settings. In the first setting you can just lift the front wheel before it cuts the revs. Never had a bike with traction control and ABS before. My only thoughts would be that with all the gadgets switched on and the power set to rain mode it may give you a bit more confidence on ice and snow.

Sorry mate but confidence in ice and snow,not for me. All it will do is maybe delay the inevitable.Ill stick to the van in these conditions if i have to go anywhere.
Even with soft landings these bikes get damaged too easy and parts aint cheap,and hate to think how long it would take to get them.
Dont forget just like in a car once you start sliding,traction control does feck all,and theres nothing on the front anyway.
Try spikes in ya tyres if you want.:)

Lanie
10-19-2011, 03:56 AM
I use the ABS, seems to work nicely. Without ABS the rear wheel locks easily on downshifts.

The ATC is always off on my bike, I think it's a hazard. Can't wheelie at all. Also when it 'works' you almost go over the bars, really sucks. The power just cuts, not smooth at all. Try going over a speed bump with it on - you'll look like a BMW GS rider

JHB1984
10-19-2011, 04:51 AM
there must be something wrong with your TC !?

i ride the Dorso 12 and a R 12 GS-A ... the BMW ATC is way ruffer then the Aprilia TC

Lanie
10-19-2011, 11:52 PM
nothing wrong with TC, I guess it's just me.. When I want to wheelie and the power cuts I go mad.

Lanie
10-19-2011, 11:55 PM
btw
We noticed on the dyno test that Touring and Sport mode curves are exactly same at full throttle...
The bike is much smoother when closing off the throttle on Touring mode when riding around...

My settings:
ABS - on ATC - off Mode - T

JHB1984
10-20-2011, 01:32 AM
"wheely" just with "power" is as good as "no go" ... because the ECU catches you when you twist the throttle like a mad man :devil:

best way to get a little wheely is with use of the clutch, as you don't "accelerate" with the throttle, but you get the plus rpm with pull of the clutch.

you won't get "endless" wheelies, but clutch + TC mode 1 = a little fun :D

lanter
10-20-2011, 09:25 AM
btw
We noticed on the dyno test that Touring and Sport mode curves are exactly same at full throttle...
The bike is much smoother when closing off the throttle on Touring mode when riding around...

My settings:
ABS - on ATC - off Mode - T

Do you have the new map installed?

Lanie
10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
waiting for my arrows, de-cat them and then I'll install the new map

Paul W
07-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the info guys. This has been worrying me for a while; get it into some nice revs in first, open it up and up comes the front wheel....until the nanny ATC catches you and cuts the throttle. It's hard to get it off the line properly with the ATC cutting in like that. Have to play with turning it off (tried earlier today, but didn't have the correct action to get it off....had to resort to the book of destruction to work it out).
Is there any easy way of disabling it temporarily?

zviadi
07-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi everybody,

Traction mode "1" you can click the button MODE "-" and hold it. The user-manual ever written.
In the end, you can remove the battery terminals for a while - the traction control off himself.