PDA

View Full Version : Things I didn't know about the Dorsoduro 1200

Strada_Stu
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I was at the Milan bike show last week and I took some close up photos of the new Dorsoduro 1200. A few things I noticed where its different to the 750 are....

There are already arrow exhausts out for the 1200.
The rear sub frame is different as it has lower fitting holes for the standard exhausts pins.
There is a heat shield above the silencer Y piece of the exhaust
The lambda sensor has moved up the pipe a little and to the left.
The cataylst has gone, its not where it was on the 750, its not underneath ? In the new silencers maybe, who knows for sure, someone read the manual please.

oh and the petrol tank is a lot wider and goes out sideways under the tank body covers but i didn't get any photos of that sorry.

Tdawg
11-13-2010, 10:03 PM
wouldn't be surprised if the cat is closer to the silencers and it could be arrow has or can be purchased decat. the rsv's have cats in the tubes

did you take a close look at the fuel pump and lock area for a 750 retro fit. Guess you have to go wider for that extra gallon. Better wind protection too?

burty
11-14-2010, 03:31 AM
I reckon the cat would have been where it is on the 750 and this has been fitted with a decat.

Strada_Stu
11-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Sorry guys I should have explained better, they had 2 bikes at the show one stock and one with extras. The pictures of underneath the bike looking at the pipes is the stock bike with the stock silencers. Hence I asked where the cat has gone.
As for the tank here is a photo sat on it, then the one from the front shows the tank out at the sides above he radiator. You can also see it on the side lower picture.

burty
11-14-2010, 06:23 PM
It's all very well that the tank is bigger but what's the tank range?

Mikey1
11-15-2010, 05:03 AM
and the burning question Stu, did it tick all the boxes for you to get your order placed?

Strada_Stu
11-15-2010, 07:16 AM
and the burning question Stu, did it tick all the boxes for you to get your order placed?

Hey Mikey I wondered how long before you appeared and asked that question. Think I'm gonna hold on until I can test ride one and even then I will probably wait until March I think, we shall see.

Centerline
11-15-2010, 10:19 AM
It ticks enough of MY boxes. My local deaer has my request for one.
Just a random thankfulness, other than the extra cubic inches...... thankfully they didn't put on the standard HUMONGOUS spoon exhaust under the tail.
Would have preferred a single sided swingarm and low exhaust however.

Mikey1
11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey Mikey I wondered how long before you appeared and asked that question. Think I'm gonna hold on until I can test ride one and even then I will probably wait until March I think, we shall see.

ive fallen off my chair in shock, half expected you to say youd already ordered one to be the first lol.

all joking apart though, fair enough it makes sense to hang on till the weather improves. just a shame about the VAT rise in jan, then again im sure dealers will be offering deals to get people back through the doors.

so when are you going to admit your eye has been turned by another bike that isnt the DD.....come on just admit you fell in love with the new shiver :)

Strada_Stu
11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
all joking apart though, fair enough it makes sense to hang on till the weather improves. just a shame about the VAT rise in jan, then again im sure dealers will be offering deals to get people back through the doors.

so when are you going to admit your eye has been turned by another bike that isnt the DD.....come on just admit you fell in love with the new shiver :)

I quiet like the new look of the Shiver, but my Shiver days are over I'm a Dorsoduro boy at heart.

I was thinking about the VAT rise but I get the impression that dealers are struggling to sell new bikes anyway, so I can only imagine the bikes will be a similar price in the early part of next year as the dealers will soak up the vat rise. Plus I am hoping there will be some spring time deals available

burty
11-15-2010, 05:51 PM
My dealer has one for demo I think. I'm taking the shiver for it's first MoT this week, and might see if I can get a demo on the DD.

I'm not sure whether it's worth the money though, and in truth I don't need the power either.

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-15-2010, 06:50 PM
the RPMs are also limited for break-in

"You are kindly requested to inform the client, upon delivery of the new motorcycle, that the engine control unit is programmed to limit engine speed to 6500 rpm for the first 400 Km."

BatuKMan
11-16-2010, 03:40 AM
One manufacture starts with the limiter and then all copy it. I guess it makes sense in an engine that is as squeezed as the S1000RR but to the DD 1200???? WTF?

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-16-2010, 12:28 PM
lets the tires, brakes, and engine break-in how they want.....

also lets people get more used to their new bike so aprilia doesnt have to sell you bodywork parts in the first week of ownership.

400Kms will go by in a couple days.

BatuKMan
11-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry don't get the logic....

If I buy a motorcycle than it's mine to do whatever I want, I couldn't care less what Aprilia wants me to do with the bike I bought.

If someone crashes the bike than it's their problem, more profit for Aprilia.

Plus if you don't live near a dealer then how can you unlock the bike, is it automatic or a Navigator is needed?

DanAllen
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
The welds on that exhaust look like shit.

shekel
11-17-2010, 03:48 AM
467lbs/212kg dry weight. :WTF: Where is all the weight on this bike?? With fuel etc this is getting up into sport tourer territory. If KTM and Ducati can deliver competitive models with far less weight, why can't Aprilia?

maddad
11-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Hang on Stu you where at the Milan show and you didn't take any pics of half nicked eetailian gals with aprailier painted on em??? .thanks for the shots can't wait to see one in the flesh dd that is.

Strada_Stu
11-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Hang on Stu you where at the Milan show and you didn't take any pics of half nicked eetailian gals with aprailier painted on em???

I would have done if I had seen them ?
It was very busy when I was there difficulkt to get anywhere near the promo girls, plus I had the girl friend in toe, although she was drooling over the Italian promotion bloke sat on some new Honda.

CessnaTPA
11-17-2010, 08:45 AM
467lbs/212kg dry weight. :WTF: Where is all the weight on this bike?? With fuel etc this is getting up into sport tourer territory. If KTM and Ducati can deliver competitive models with far less weight, why can't Aprilia?

The DD is 50 lbs heavier than the Multistrada, Ducati builds their motors out of plastic. Are they saving weight by sacrificing quality? I wonder how else they are able to be so much lighter? Thinner metals? Higher quality metals like titanium? I would like to know too.

jrflanne
11-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Checking out the Multistrada, there is a whole bunch of stuff that will turn into shards when you dump one. I would like to ride one but they are ugly as hell. You can drape them with CF and they are still ugly. I know Ducati uses physical and mathematical models to determine where they can save weight.

That being said, I doubt I would trade my Tuono for a 1200 Dorso, but I really look forward to riding one.

Stumpy
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry don't get the logic....

If I buy a motorcycle than it's mine to do whatever I want, I couldn't care less what Aprilia wants me to do with the bike I bought.

If someone crashes the bike than it's their problem, more profit for Aprilia.

Plus if you don't live near a dealer then how can you unlock the bike, is it automatic or a Navigator is needed?

I suspect they feel that a bike thats run in properly will be more reliable, give fewer warranty issues and cost the factory less in the long run.

I know ďrunning in ď can be a controversial subject but clearly manufactures think itís a good idea as every new bike Iíve ever had has break in instructions.

Maybe they would remove the restriction if the riders prepared to sign away their warranty rights but how many people would be willing to do that?

scubacat
11-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I suspect they feel that a bike thats run in properly will be more reliable, give fewer warranty issues and cost the factory less in the long run.

I know ďrunning in ď can be a controversial subject but clearly manufactures think itís a good idea as every new bike Iíve ever had has break in instructions.

Maybe they would remove the restriction if the riders prepared to sign away their warranty rights but how many people would be willing to do that?

BINGO. It's all about risk mitigation. To many immature/ham fisted newbs that seem do the opposite of what the manual says...

Mikey1
11-27-2010, 03:02 PM
BINGO. It's all about risk mitigation. To many immature/ham fisted newbs that seem do the opposite of what the manual says...

Dont agree on that one, running in is always a bone of contention and different People have different ideas regardless of experience. Some say hammer it from day one some prefer to go to manual recommendation.

marksim
11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Me personally,a couple of hundred miles steady, then open up but dont hold there for a long time.First oil change then hit the limiter in every gear.Have fun there built for it.
Ive seen bikes with less than 20 miles on them being raced.
Regarding 2 strokes,i like to run them in on dyno with heat cycles.

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll wait until we actually weigh a DD1200, but I know not beleive any claimed weights out of the Ducati camp.....very optimistic....they must weigh them without oil, gas, battery, fork oil, coolant, and emmsions......dont go by spec sheets.

scubacat
11-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Dont agree on that one, running in is always a bone of contention and different People have different ideas regardless of experience. Some say hammer it from day one some prefer to go to manual recommendation.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, Aprilia agrees or the bike would not be programed as such.

george_grat
12-26-2010, 01:48 PM
i'll wait until we actually weigh a dd1200, but i know not beleive any claimed weights out of the ducati camp.....very optimistic....they must weigh them without oil, gas, battery, fork oil, coolant, and emmsions......dont go by spec sheets.

+100000

I really don't care what they say about this bike I am very satisfied with the DD750 and now I am going to get the DD1200. Before I buy the 750 I was interesting to buy the 1200 Hyper but when I see the price and not water cooling system, I forget it. About the weight, I take out from the 750 over 15kg and probably I will do the same and to 1200 :)

HPhungry
04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Real bikers always keep revs below 5000 generally it's common knowledge.
I've heard many old timers profess that. I agree with limiting the revs to properly break in. it's critical for the machine.

Besides how many testosterone dummies would rev the bike to 8-9-k just to hear the sound of it in neutral at a light. That's the dumbest mistake ever yet I see it over and over.
C'mon learn the basics.