PDA

View Full Version : Any word on a Shiver 1200 GT??

RSVracer
11-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I love my RSV4 but want something comfortable for longer rides. The new Shiver GT would be perfect with the 1200 engine in it. Is this bike gonna be a reality anytime soon?

marksim
11-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I love my RSV4 but want something comfortable for longer rides. The new Shiver GT would be perfect with the 1200 engine in it. Is this bike gonna be a reality anytime soon?

Dunno but that sounds like a proper stablemate for the RSV4.
Or even betta Dorsoduro Factory 1200 ?

shekel
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
The silence is deafening. Where is the L2 1200 Adventure bike?:pissed:

dk_dorso
11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I dont see Aprilia making a 1200 Shiver... it would be to close to the new V4 Tuono

What they could do is build a big adventure bike like a super tenere / multistrada type of bike with the 1200 V2 engine.. now that would be interesting

Grug
11-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not so sure DK, the Tuono is a very different beast to the Shiver, it's much more rabid. I imagine there's a fair Market for a higher level Shiver.

shekel
11-07-2010, 01:19 AM
IMO a 1200 Shiver simply won't happen in the current climate of depressed motorcycle sales worldwide, especially in the large US market. There is not room enough in the Aprilia catalogue for a 1200 Dorso and a 1200 Shiver as well as the V4 Tuono. The big Shiver would be sales failure in this company.

However, there could be a market for a big-bore L2 dualsport, but as the Duc Multistrada has just raised the bar in this class (150hp and electronically adjustable everything), Aprilia would need to think hard about whether it wishes to get into a techno arms race with Ducati (and BMW and possibly Yamaha) in this very competitive market. Apart from adapting a lot of electro wizardry from the V4 Superbike, an altogether new all steel frame would be needed to cope with the more robust demands of dualsport riding - a variant of the present cast alloy/steel(?) tube frame would just not cut it.

Another complication to proceeding with an Aprilia dualsport would likely be parent company Piaggio's existing investment in the Stelvio model range. Unfortunately the low-tech and weirdly-styled Stelvio has a few shortcomings and is having a hard time making sales against the already established class leaders, BMW, KTM and the new Yamaha S10 models, not forgetting the relatively low tech Triumph Tiger 1050 and its new 800cc siblings about to enter the market.

My own preference would be for Piaggio to can the MG Stelvio and greenlight some serious Aprilia development on a newdualsport framed, mid-tech (similar to the new 800 Triumphs) bike that could enter the marketplace about 10% less than the price of a base Multistrada. If they Aprilia can build in basic quality of componentry, keep it stylish but relatively simple and rugged, with 19L+ fuel tank and about 120hp, I'd buy one. If not, I will probably be looking at the 800 Triumphs in a year or so. :peace:

dk_dorso
11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not so sure DK, the Tuono is a very different beast to the Shiver, it's much more rabid. I imagine there's a fair Market for a higher level Shiver.

Technically very different indeed, but from a market perspective they would both be big nakeds, and i think Aprilia would be worried that a big Shiver would take to many customers from the Tuono sale

Personally i think the new Tuono is a huge design mistake, its about as pretty as the rear section of a chimp.... so i would love to see a big Shiver

burty
11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Technically very different indeed, but from a market perspective they would both be big nakeds, and i think Aprilia would be worried that a big Shiver would take to many customers from the Tuono sale

Spot on. There's all sorts of reasons why it doesn't pay a manufacturer to sell too many 'similar' bikes

Personally i think the new Tuono is a huge design mistake, its about as pretty as the rear section of a chimp.... so i would love to see a big Shiver

Hmm....Cos the existing Tuono is such a pretty beast. ;)

Personally I like both. But the current model is certainly not a pretty bike. I think the V4 Tuono is much prettier.

Grug
11-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I wish they'd given the new Tuono something closer to the Shiver's front end - it would have made it a far more cohesive looking bike I reckon. Something like this:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6924/2011tuonoedit.jpg

swannie007
11-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I agree totally. The front end on the new Tuono is just damn FUGLY!! I would still buy one but it's a pity it isn't a good looking bike like my Shiver.

dk_dorso
11-07-2010, 07:06 PM
i think tuono is italian and means "a face only mamma can love"

Had they made a Tuono with the Shiver front i would not have been able to resist.. would even have traded in my beloved DD.. but not when i looks the way it does

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Sl_sctzdXsk/TNc-y_e5hjI/AAAAAAAADBY/a0tN5M5GiIo/s800/tuono.jpg

FadedGenes
11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
A 1200 version of the current Shiver would not, IMHO, stack up well against the competition. However, a 1200 Shiver with first rate suspension and a Futura like windscreen, would be desirable. Or, as others have said, something to compete with the Multistrada, but that seems to be DD territory.

swannie007
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
E.T. phone home! Better yet, piss off home and send your pretty sister back!

Bigralphie
11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I really like the front but then I do own this :rolleyes:

hvralpha
11-08-2010, 02:18 AM
I hear from people in the know at Aprilia in Italy that a new Shiver 1200 and Caponord 1200 is on the cards for release end of 2011. Will be using the same 130hp engine as the Dorso and have advanced electronic control systems.

shekel
11-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks hvralpha, the Caponord concept makes sense but I remain unconvinced that a big bore Shiver would be commercially viable. However, I guess we'll have to wait for the 2011 Milan Show for the next batch of new model releases.:(

BTW I really like Grug's work on adding some Shiver front end style to the the bug-eyed TuonoV4.

olie
11-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I hear from people in the know at Aprilia in Italy that a new Shiver 1200 and Caponord 1200 is on the cards for release end of 2011. Will be using the same 130hp engine as the Dorso and have advanced electronic control systems.

...with a MultiStrada version, Aprilia can (sort of) cover 3 bikes in one (Capo, Shiver and Futura)

Tdawg
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
...with a MultiStrada version, Aprilia can (sort of) cover 3 bikes in one (Capo, Shiver and Futura)

:plus: a combo bike or

1200 Tourag vs ktm
1200 Capo vs multistrada
1200 DD vs KTM SMT (if better wind protection is given to the DD)
1200 Shiv lost in the mix:confused:

There's more competition at 1200 and they'll have to do some thing special with it because people are bent on spec sheet numbers (weight) on the DD. :rolleyes:

The 750 is better positioned. Close performance to the competition (HM1100) at less money, cheaper running costs, and different insurance catagory in europe, ect.

Hitcher
11-14-2010, 04:00 AM
There's a bit of a difference between a v-twin and a v-four. Indeed I'd go so far as to say that they're completely different bikes. I'd consider a 1200 Shiver but have no interest whatsoever in any other Aprilia, largely because I don't like v-fours, sports riding positions or pathetically small fuel tanks. The icing on the cake in these parts is the pathetically uniterested and incompetent local distributor. On that score, thank goodness for AF1 in Texas.