PDA

View Full Version : Tigs.....No Axone!!!

Q80
03-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Tigs arrived yesterday ......great quality I'm very happy and the sound is amazing :D

Now to the problem.....Only one dealer here in Kuwait and they do have the Axone but not the "04 RSV cartridge" according to them. I thought it was a software update rather than a cartridge. Dealer claims he has it on order and it will take at least 2 weeks to get. In the meantime no riding with tigs for me unless you guys can suggest something i can do.....plzzzzz .... :angel:

Its too much agony to see them on the bike but cant ride with them on :fangs:

lunchbox
03-16-2004, 02:32 AM
what are you doing in kuwait? is that your homeland or are you there for military type stuff? it just seems weird, an aprilia in kuwait. no offence or anything but it seems a bit remote.

Q80
03-16-2004, 02:57 AM
I'm Kuwaiti and it is my homeland. In terms of being remote in what sense......!! did not really understand your comment. There is a huge biker community in Kuwait in terms of % to population and size I think the number of bikes you see on the street are significantly above average. The Aprilia dealer is new here (2years). Other brands have been around for over 10 to 15 years (Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, BMW...etc).

kwagga
03-16-2004, 02:58 AM
Lunchbox,

You will be surprised to know that Kuwait also has a very large Ducati network amongst others. Things are not as bad or remote as we might think. i was quite surprised myself!!

Thunder Factory
03-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Q80
Tigs arrived yesterday ......great quality I'm very happy and the sound is amazing :D

Now to the problem.....Only one dealer here in Kuwait and they do have the Axone but not the "04 RSV cartridge" according to them. I thought it was a software update rather than a cartridge. Dealer claims he has it on order and it will take at least 2 weeks to get. In the meantime no riding with tigs for me unless you guys can suggest something i can do.....plzzzzz .... :angel:

Its too much agony to see them on the bike but cant ride with them on :fangs:

Fit th cans now and savour the experience, just be gentle with the throttlr for a while and things will be fine as from memory its after 80% thrpttle openings that the sensors for the cats make a difference.

Your dealer will need the software update as he says, it comes on a flash card so that's what he's talking about when he says cartridge I suppose.

Get them on the bike and let us know what you think. :happy:

Q80
03-16-2004, 03:12 AM
Thunder I actually have them on already just didn't take it out for a ride...too worried about damaging anything...hence my frustration :gunner: . When you say 80% throttle this is irrelevant of how high the rpm range I go right???

Thunder Factory
03-16-2004, 03:15 AM
I rode for nearly 6 weeks with cans and map 1 and I know a rider who has covered over 2000 miles wth race cans and map 1 as he does not believe he needs to change so you will be fine.

I kept revs below 9000 personally but you can still have a lot of fun with that limitation.

:banana:

mille-ryan
03-16-2004, 03:28 AM
Really theres no way in hell your gonna hurt it. For one the Rotax engine is a beast, can take a hell of a lot of abuse. nd its just a map, and not a very good one at that.Sometimes the !st map works better. GO RIDE MAN !!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Q80
03-16-2004, 03:32 AM
Thanks Thunder appreciate your input and it was exactly what i wanted to hear:D will try it out today and tell you how it is. :banana:

:peace:

Q80
03-16-2004, 03:46 AM
mille-ryan thanks..... me and the Factory will make sweet music tonight :banana: hahahaha :ban:

eugene
03-16-2004, 04:11 AM
congratz with the tigs!!!
mayby a foto
i'm waiting for mine, they were send on the 10th

deksawyer
03-16-2004, 04:12 AM
Q80 - glad you managed to track them down. I was a bit worried for a while there.......:(

D.

Q80
03-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Sorry Dek I was going to email you to thank you and tell you that they arrived. The delay was mainly due to the delivery people in London not being very helpful and punctual. I managed to get them by calling a friend and he had to drive and pick them up himself. No big deal all is sorted and they were well worth the wait. You should have seen the reaction of one of the guys I got the tigs for.....he loved them so much he wanted to sleep with them heheeheh like I said amazing system. :banana:

Dek Thanks a lot I appreciate your help and tolerance of my impatience. It was great dealing.
:plus: :plus:

deksawyer
03-16-2004, 07:16 AM
No worries my friend.

When I called London myself to track them down, the people in the Parcel Force depot were most unhelpful to me as well!!

Glad you and your friends like them...

D.

eugene
03-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by deksawyer
No worries my friend.

When I called London myself to track them down, the people in the Parcel Force depot were most unhelpful to me as well!!

Glad you and your friends like them...

D.

will there be some delay?:fangs:

desire, desire :):):)

deksawyer
03-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Should be no delay.

Q80's order was not the usual procedure.....

Anyway, the longer you wait the more you'll enjoy them!!:cool:

D.

eugene
03-16-2004, 10:50 AM
i'm sure of that!!!!

Johnny in Oz
03-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Q80
There is a huge biker community in Kuwait

I learn the most interesting things on this forum.

What sort of Tigs did you get? Did they come with baffles? If so, did you have to drill the holes for the screw inserts yourself?

The reason I ask is that I've ordered my set of the "Racing Cans" directly from Japan (thanks for the contact Derek), which placed a little strain on the Tigcaft contact's English proficiency. So I'm just hoping they arrive with baffles as I'd prefer not to rely on my proficiency at drilling.;)

BTW, my decision to proceed with the Tigs was largely based on the good reports from this forum, but also the price Ume quoted me. Less than half the price of the Aprilia Racing cans downunder!!!!!!!!:D

John

Fox
03-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Johnny, I just got the 60mm race can for my 2001. Beautifully made, sounds fantastic and you're right, half the price of the Aprilia Ti.!

Ume was very helpful as was dekswayer. I had to pick the pipe up from customs and pay an extra $110 for duty.

Johnny in Oz
03-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the customs angle. Is that the GST component? Bastards?:mad:

Glad to see there's others downunder by-passing the Aprilia dealerships. Not that I have anything against them, but I'm in Sydney and haven't found anyone in the game who has their finger on the pulse when it comes to accessories for the '04 range.

Are you a local? If so, look out or me at Mt White on weekends. I'd be keen to hear/see the Tigs.

John

Fox
03-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Johnny in Oz
Thanks for the heads up on the customs angle. Is that the GST component? Bastards?:mad:

Glad to see there's others downunder by-passing the Aprilia dealerships. Not that I have anything against them, but I'm in Sydney and haven't found anyone in the game who has their finger on the pulse when it comes to accessories for the '04 range.

Are you a local? If so, look out or me at Mt White on weekends. I'd be keen to hear/see the Tigs.

John

Yeah had to go out to Granville Customs Post clearance center. The bastards charge you import duty then GST on the total package.

Leigh (Exedukenut) has a mailing list for Aprilia riders in Sydney for rides. Email me fox@thebasement.com.au if you want to be in it.

I live in the CBD. I saw my first '04 on the road on Elizabeth St the other day .. wonder if it was you?

Anyway would love to catch up at Mt White.

Exdukenut
03-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Johnny in Oz, get Ume, and Deksawyer to word the invoice as a sample or similar, and put a low amount on the paperwork. I got the Renegade full header system throgh customs without any duty this way!

The last time I got charged for something (ie GST or Import duty), was with my Ohlins forks, and that was 18 months ago.

I think the cut off for GST and import duties is around the $200 mark.

One of the Aprilia riders in Sydney is a Customs person, if you want I can get her to email you re any info you may want to enquire about!

Rgds

See you soon.

Johnny in Oz
03-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes please Leigh!

I'll email you so's we don't hijack this thread.

Likewise to you Fox.

John

Q80
03-17-2004, 02:58 AM
Johnny the ones i ordered were the race version 60mm and they did not come with baffels, i never asked for them.

Went for my first ride with the tigs on and i have to say they sound amazing.... ohh and when decelarating at around 6000RPM it sounds like canons being fired behind you :gunner: there is no question these pipes are the loudest i've hear on a V-twin. .....The thing i noticed is the bike's idle now fluctuates between 1250 and 1500 RPM and is not stable. Not sure if this was there before but now with the sound of the pipes i can hear it clearly. Not really a problem just wanted to know if others have had the same.

Alex Galanis
03-17-2004, 04:14 AM
I have the Sport version 50mm cores and not quite as anti-social in built up areas (104db). I have the baffles too which drastically reduce the noise level - I am told to 97db. Drilling is no problem - even I managed it. There is a thread elsewhere but its easier to repeat the procedure :

1 Remove cans from bike and measure up.
2 Lay your hands on a drill and 3 newish metal bits.2mm 4mm and 6mm.
3 Make a mark on the weld on the bottom of the can outlet where the centre of the hole is going to have to be.
4 Drill a 2mm hole.
5 Stick the baffle in , flat side outwards , and check the holes line up.
6 Repeat with 4mm and 6mm adjusting your drill position so that by the time you drill the 6mm hole you should have things perfectly lined up.

eugene
03-17-2004, 04:51 AM
i hate baffles!!!
:gunner: :gunner: :gunner:

but yeah sometimes the law is cruwl

Johnny in Oz
03-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Alex Galanis
I have the Sport version 50mm cores and not quite as anti-social in built up areas (104db). I have the baffles too which drastically reduce the noise level - I am told to 97db. Drilling is no problem - even I managed it.

Thanks for the info . . . . and encouragement, Alex. I've ordered the racing cans with baffles and am hoping that Ume in Japan will drill the holes for me. I am not a particularly handy person and dread the thought of having to do it myself.

BTW, in response to my inquiry of Ume re the noise levels, he responded as follows:

"The noise level of 2004 slip-on with sports canister is around 100db, and with racing canister is 104db."

FWIW.

John

Fox
03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Q80
Johnny the ones i ordered were the race version 60mm and they did not come with baffels, i never asked for them.

Went for my first ride with the tigs on and i have to say they sound amazing.... ohh and when decelarating at around 6000RPM it sounds like canons being fired behind you :gunner: there is no question these pipes are the loudest i've hear on a V-twin. .....The thing i noticed is the bike's idle now fluctuates between 1250 and 1500 RPM and is not stable. Not sure if this was there before but now with the sound of the pipes i can hear it clearly. Not really a problem just wanted to know if others have had the same.

I've go the 60mm race can on my 2001 and had the same problem. Balancing the throttle bodies has pretty well fixed it. Also you may want to try the original chip. I know deksawyer runs this system and uses the orginal chip.

Kiwi_M5
03-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Curious about the price you guys paid for your Tigs and what you got quoted for Aprilia's race cans.

I just re-cored my stock cans as they are too sexy to replace, imho, and so far, only Harleys are louder :D

Fox
03-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Kiwi_M5
Curious about the price you guys paid for your Tigs and what you got quoted for Aprilia's race cans.

I just re-cored my stock cans as they are too sexy to replace, imho, and so far, only Harleys are louder :D

Mine was US$550 (single 60mm race slipon) about AUD$750 - last time I looked a new Aprilia Ti was about AUD$1150...

Johnny in Oz
03-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Kiwi_M5

The Tigs for my Factory cost $US750 incl. shipping costs, which was the clincher for me, 'coz the Aprilia Ti Racing cans are AUD$2K+ (or about $US1500 at current exchange rates).

Besides, the dealer who quoted lowest for the Aprilia Ti cans could'nt even tell me when they'd be available, nor could I get a consensus on new chip/no chip - though the head mechanic (allegedly) insisted I'd need a new chip as well. I'm not terribly patient with these types.

I agree on the cool looks of the standard cans, but I'm not a tinkerer so re-coring does'nt really appeal (yet) and after looking long and hard at the pics posted by the guys on this forum who have fitted the Tigs, the decision was a no-brainer for me.

FWIW.

John

Kiwi_M5
03-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Johnny in Oz
The Tigs for my Factory cost $US750 incl. shipping costs, which was the clincher for me, 'coz the Aprilia Ti Racing cans are AUD$2K+ (or about $US1500 at current exchange rates).

Besides, the dealer who quoted lowest for the Aprilia Ti cans could'nt even tell me when they'd be available, nor could I get a consensus on new chip/no chip - though the head mechanic (allegedly) insisted I'd need a new chip as well. I'm not terribly patient with these types.

I agree on the cool looks of the standard cans, but I'm not a tinkerer so re-coring does'nt really appeal (yet) and after looking long and hard at the pics posted by the guys on this forum who have fitted the Tigs, the decision was a no-brainer for me.

FWIW.

John

Thx... must be small markets over our way that dictate lack of knowledge and lack of product. Been waiting since xmas for a replacement front gaurd :(