PDA

View Full Version : hair line crack in oil resevoir

mossback
03-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Was out for a group ride yesterday while stopped for a break I noticed that my bike was leaking fluids. Upon closer inspection I found it was motor oil leaking, slowly but steady. I was about 100 miles from home at the time. I looked in the site glass an it was totally full and it made no difference if the bike was up right or on the side stand. The dealer just changed out my starter clutch last week when it failed. He told me that he changed my oil with that repair as the starter clutch is in the engine. I was thinking that they had over filled my bike with oil does this sound possible for the over fill to cause the crack? I got my bike home and removed the platic where I saw a hairline crack near the the bend close the the middle of the tank. I was able the clean off the oil with some methol chloride to make it clean for the duct tape I used the stem the flow.

I am sure this should be under warrenty has anyone else had this problem or heard of such?

:confused:

mille108
03-14-2004, 01:56 PM
yep.....same here just found it:(

it seems to leak near the weld that holds the bracket

mille-ryan
03-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Oh not good man. It has happened before. The old Milles, with the black tanks used to crak pretty often.The previous owner of my 00 had the tank on it start leaking.Its all warranty work, so no worries.

PSMracing
03-14-2004, 02:18 PM
The construction method of the oil reservoir is largely unchanged since 1999. I have had three of them leak and only one was a race bike with a crash on it. There is no significant oil pressure in the reservoir so its not that.

Some are made of stainless and some mild steel. The material doesn't seem to matter either, they both can leak!

If the warranty doesn't kick in, there are a number of "hard as steel" epoxy type putty's that you can use to fix it. I had one welded and it leaked just past the weld after repair. Vibration of your massive rod doesn't help!

mossback
03-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Will any epoxy work? Do you think I can just tip the bike over (lay it on the frame sliders) to apply the epoxy with no other worries? I will take the tank off if I have to but my dealer is closed for the next two days and I will have ride it there. I was hoping to not have to drain the oil to patch it. Know what I am saying?

mossback
03-14-2004, 02:25 PM

My leak is no where near the welds it is in the middle of the tank in just plain old sheet metal.

NoNick
03-14-2004, 02:37 PM
The metal is very thin but you have a crack in the middle of it? Pic please.

PSMracing
03-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Yah i know what your are saying. You do the math here and make your own decision...
Fooling with an under warranty part so you can ride for the next two days...
laying the bike over on the sliders...intentionally....got help to pick it up?
Trying to use any type of adhesive on an oil soaked surface...
Working on your new hybrid Italian hotrod under substandard conditions...

I would call the dealer, and alert them to the problem. If they want you to ride it in, make them detail it and restore the oil as well. OR they can come get it!

Think about the reasons why you bought the bike. It's not a clapped out 92' honda 600!

PSMracing
03-14-2004, 02:47 PM
If your gonna do it, clean the area up with laquer thinner and lightly scuff it with like 500 grit paper. then use JB weld and leave it in a bead, not a thin sheet like. It will work.

remember if its a crack its linear and can continue to run. why is it there? examine the future not just the present.

Who is the dealer there now? I heard cascade went away...

scott2ride
03-14-2004, 03:16 PM
I wouldnt repair it otherwise you may void the warrenty on it. But clean the surface well and use some good tape and it should last for a sew days.

mossback
03-14-2004, 03:22 PM
I hear you. It is my need to ride that makes me think of ways to getting to the work around. I pulled the duct tape of just a while ago, most of the oil leaked out anyway so I am going to let it drain down to just past the crack with the drain bolt. Then clean it up and do the JB weld stuff. My feeling is that they (Motointernational) won't have the part in stock and will take 7 days or so to get it from the supplier. I post some pictures of the crack before I fix it. It is quite small, I was thinking I could drill the crack out to lessen the stresses then patch it.

What do you think? Should I worry about getting metal shaving is the res?

Yeah Cascade is gone which is too bad they were nice folks.

Manu
03-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by mille108
yep.....same here just found it:(

Sorry to hear about that problem guys..:(

The funny thing is that when I crashed my Tuono the oil tank was all scratched and dented but still not leaking...

scott2ride
03-14-2004, 03:39 PM
If you drill it you will need to replace the oil in case shavings got it. But I'd leave it.

If it will take them a week to get the part, ask them to remove it from a shop bike off the floor! :p:

Arnie
03-14-2004, 05:24 PM
All these little problems I've read on this board are starting to scare me. This latest one in particular with the hairline crack. Not good.

mossback
03-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Little niggling problems but I STILL LOVE THE BIKE!

I just put some JB weld putty on it after draining the oil. Damn expesive oil. I hope they reimburse me for the oil and clean up the oil mess all over the inside on the plastics and chasis.

vtrandall
03-14-2004, 06:06 PM
just got back from a ride, saw this thread....
went and yanked off the bodywork.....no leak here.
How many miles are on the bikes with the leak?

randall

mossback
03-14-2004, 06:11 PM
4800 miles.

Nino
03-14-2004, 06:24 PM
I had the same problem. The crack was right at the curve in the tank. The crack looked like a dent from the inside-out. My dealer covered it under warranty, however it took at least a week for him to get the tank. This has been my only major problem with the bike and I'm an everyday rider.

Dvus
03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
I'd take it back to moto international and have them fix it. I wouldn't want it to leak oil again. Especially if you are somewhere further past 100 miles from home.

mossback
03-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Nino
I had the same problem. The crack was right at the curve in the tank. The crack looked like a dent from the inside-out. My dealer covered it under warranty, however it took at least a week for him to get the tank. This has been my only major problem with the bike and I'm an everyday rider.

EXACTLY!

I have pictures I will post later on of the hole and the patch I did. It should be good for few hundred miles till my tank come in. I too am an everyday rider.

milleman
03-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Mine also , take it to meehca and they will replace it!

mossback
03-14-2004, 09:52 PM
No shit you too?

Yeah I will talk to them on Tuesday.

milleman
03-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Yah meecha found it on the 5k service! so he put in a claim , they will replace it on the next service!

Who did you ride with on sat?

mille108
03-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by vtrandall
just got back from a ride, saw this thread....
went and yanked off the bodywork.....no leak here.
How many miles are on the bikes with the leak?

randall

Just 1350 km's :(

mossback
03-15-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by milleman
Yah meecha found it on the 5k service! so he put in a claim , they will replace it on the next service!

Who did you ride with on sat?

Yeah I will give them a call and let them know what is up.

I was riding with the Cycyle barn group we went up to Bellingham the lake Watcom road was awsome. A good and fast ride.

I would like to hit a ride with you some time.

milleman
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
We went to indy valley=fast=no cops

SUPERPUMPER
03-17-2004, 02:48 AM
Mine has the drip yep,Mine has never been down ,500 miles ,there isnt dealership for 100s of miles,I took mine off On the inside the bolt on the engine case and the engine case barely touched it 3mm scratch and 5mm scratch ,the small one leaks>I noticed the bottom mount bracket on tank bent just a little so it vibrated against engine case and started leaking what a bitch,that shouldnt be so fragile.When somebody wrecks from oil pissing on there tire and sues the hell out of em then they might use something a little bit stronger dont u think.I drove 11 hours for the deal I got on mine and wont ever be back down there so I need to find dealer close to Nashville and start a relationship with them,dont really know who to call for help,but it looks like from what Ive been reading that im going to need some warranty work

vtrandall
03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
now if there isn't a leak can something preventative be done to keep the scratch/dent from occuring?
a little foam tape or something like that to keep it from rubbing?

randall

SUPERPUMPER
03-17-2004, 05:53 PM
no its leaking already thats the only reason i took tank off because it was leaking

mossback
03-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't think there is anything you can do except hope you don't have a faulty tank. I patched mine with some high temp JB weld and it failed right away. Tried it again with even more of the putty and then coated it with some duct tape. Still failed. Now I have to wait till the part comes in from the dealer. I have no joy.

Thinking about brazing a patch on it, someone else I know suggested tig weld?

I will be calling my dealer soon to see the status of the tank. I hate to miss a riding weekend!!

:shooter:

mille108
03-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by mossback
I don't think there is anything you can do except hope you don't have a faulty tank. I patched mine with some high temp JB weld and it failed right away. Tried it again with even more of the putty and then coated it with some duct tape. Still failed. Now I have to wait till the part comes in from the dealer. I have no joy.

Thinking about brazing a patch on it, someone else I know suggested tig weld?

I will be calling my dealer soon to see the status of the tank. I hate to miss a riding weekend!!

:shooter:

I used "sikaflex"its the kind of seal that they use for car windows........until now it doesnt leak.........

mossback
03-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by mille108
I used "sikaflex"its the kind of seal that they use for car windows........until now it doesnt leak.........

What type of sika did you use?

I am thinking an epoxy might do the trick till the new tank comes in...what do you think?

milleman
03-18-2004, 07:44 PM
I have some stuff Andrew, bring it by the shop!

mossback
03-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Just had it welded. Looks like it might be related to an over pressure in the tank that causes the tank to flex repetedly every start and stop, that would explain the dent and oddity of the crack itself. I am going to check the vent tube on that attaches to the top of the tank.

What do you think?

mossback
03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
The end is in sight now that I have it welded up. The tank is back on and is not leaking thanks to the weld.

Here is a picture of the crack in the tank, the shiny spot is from sanding the paint off to get the JB weld to stick the actual hair line crack is just above that point.

mossback
05-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Hey Aprilia has finally shipped the replacement tanks. I got mine but will keep the old one on for a while the dealer didn't want my old one back so I guess I have a spare now.

Cool.:D

radduc
05-13-2004, 09:09 AM
I posted a thread about 3 weeks ago regarding the same problem,same area unfortunetly I had to wait almost a month for the new tank and it is covered by the way.Georgia now has a decent inventory of these tanks as they are aware for the problem.Your wait should be a week at most.Sorry to hear about the problem.Also this problem is very common in the first 2 batches of bikes released.

Arnie
05-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Is there a way to find out which batch your bike belongs to?

radduc
05-13-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know when the 3rd batch started but if you look @ the last few didgets of your vin( not sure if it's the last 3 or 4)you will know

radduc
05-13-2004, 09:05 PM
it's the last 4 digites of your vin # and if your above 2000 you should be ok from what I hear

Arnie
05-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Uh oh, mine is 0115.

scott2ride
05-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Arnie
Uh oh, mine is 0115.

Bugger Arnie, the 0017 -0659 bikes had a recall with some other major issues to do with the seating of the intake valves. It can be a bit of a major if they go!

Have you had yours sorted?:confused:

:D :kidding:

Opps, sorry! I'm having a "Be a Bastard!" day.:D :D :D

sub-moa
05-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by scott2ride
Bugger Arnie, the 0017 -0659 bikes had a recall with some other major issues to do with the seating of the intake valves. It can be a bit of a major if they go!

Bugger! I almost shat my pants when I read this! :D

Mine is 0139 with 3300mi. Nothin yet... Knock knock knock on wood.

Arnie
05-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Scott,
You fugger!!! I almost had a heart attack!!! LMAO!

scott2ride
05-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by sub-moa
Bugger! I almost shat my pants when I read this!
Mine is 0139 with 3300mi. Nothin yet... Knock knock knock on wood.

Originally posted by Arnie
Scott,
You fugger!!! I almost had a heart attack!!! LMAO!

Opps... he he...

My evil work here is now done!:rambo:

I'm off to steal some sweets from children! :D :ban:

PS. The latest Aprilia Press pack says number 0139 is the worst assembled RSV they' ever done and the owner should give it to me to sort it :peace:

Felix Da Cat
05-13-2004, 11:04 PM

Hahaaaaa :D Damn, that was funny.

Dude, you know this is the internet and your comments have just started a major rumour that's gonna get CCMEN and Clarkie on each other's throats again :D :D

scott2ride
05-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Felix Da Cat
Hahaaaaa :D Damn, that was funny.

Dude, you know this is the internet and your comments have just started a major rumour that's gonna get CCMEN and Clarkie on each other's throats again :D :D

All part of my evil plan for world dominatrix...I mean...domination!!

Chortle chortle evil laugh snickker sniff cough!:fangs:

sub-moa
05-13-2004, 11:19 PM

PS. The latest Aprilia Press pack says number 0139 is the worst assembled RSV they' ever done and the owner should give it to me to sort it :peace: [/B]

Priller press pack!!! Phuck!

Bloody hell!! Austin to Auckland!!! I'd be lickin stamps for 50 years!!!:D