PDA

View Full Version : Water temp prob

locknload
03-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Any one else having this prob-bike normaly runs at about 78-80c but everynow and again it drops down to 36c then goes up to 135c and the display starts flashing and the efi warning light comes on. The bike is definitly not running hot cause i find if you turn the key off and then turn it back on the temp reads normal again and stays normal for a while and then does it again. This doesnt happen all the time only intermittently. water level is correct and is not losing any. Faulty Water Temp Sensor ?????

2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R
Silver/Grey
Full Aprilia Racing Akrapovick Titanium Exhaust System
No 2 Map
Stock Suspension Settings Sorted
Ohlins Steering Damper
42 Tooth Rear Sprocket

Thunder Factory
03-14-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by locknload
Any one else having this prob-bike normaly runs at about 78-80c but everynow and again it drops down to 36c then goes up to 135c and the display starts flashing and the efi warning light comes on. The bike is definitly not running hot cause i find if you turn the key off and then turn it back on the temp reads normal again and stays normal for a while and then does it again. This doesnt happen all the time only intermittently. water level is correct and is not losing any. Faulty Water Temp Sensor ?????

It's a problem withe the sensor or the display itself possibly.

It's fluctuating between the minumu and maximum teperatures the display can show.

Get thee to thy dealer:D

:peace:

clarkie49
03-14-2004, 08:38 AM
they may need help to find the water temp sensor so.......

on the 04 there is only one (was two on the 99-03) sennsor and it is on the front left side of the 'rear' cylinder. it is a pain to get to and you have to push the main loom out of the way to check it.

hope you get it fixed

NoNick
06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Is the problem solved and how? I have the same problems but it only comes up now and then not on all rides......

Fast 38
06-21-2004, 05:42 PM
I had the same problem on my 04 factory, and it was the water temp sensor, It looks like a major pain in the ass to replace but actually was not to bad, there's just enough room to get a box end wrench in there.

Clarkie, sorry to hear about your get off, hope you get well soon!!

Frank

kchan1100
06-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
they may need help to find the water temp sensor so.......

on the 04 there is only one (was two on the 99-03) sennsor and it is on the front left side of the 'rear' cylinder. it is a pain to get to and you have to push the main loom out of the way to check it.

hope you get it fixed

Glad to see your back on line. Hope you're not in too much pain.:peace:

Dr. Thrillride
06-22-2004, 05:46 AM

kchan1100
06-23-2004, 06:07 PM
<----- I am sending him to your house tonight.:D

Mogwai7
06-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Just a word of warning, I had the same problem and the sender was posting numbers that randomly I could have used them for the national lottery. :mad:
I had heard that this fault could fix itself and sure enough it appeared to and I got a stable reading, so I put it down to water getting into the connections or something.
Last weekend I went on a charity bike meet and I smugly watched the temperature readings thinking everything was ok despite the hot weather and irritating qeue. Next minute water and antifreeze was being kicked out of the overflow because the engine had started to overheat :eek:
Thankfully it didn't do any damage, but it seems that because the sensor is faulty and posting too low a temperature the fans didn't cut in and cool the engine, meanwhile I was blissfully unaware watching a temperature gauge that appeared to be ok.
Grrrrrrrrr

Dr. Thrillride
06-23-2004, 08:08 PM
oops, sorry, please dont', I'll do anything.

NoNick
04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Any news on this Watter Temp. Prob? I still have the problem now and then but I didn't have time to stop at my dealer.

vtrandall
04-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I also got the 'lottery numbers' on the display....
I had to have the temp sensor replaced. (also had the thermostat replaced...not sure if that was necessary)
Once the sensor was replaced, all ok <crosses fingers>

grumpyduck
04-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I also have this problem now :bangwall:

Second problem associated with temp sensor.last one was fans not cutting in and she dumped her fluid.Cured by cleaning connector.

This time I am going to insist they change the sensor!!!