PDA

View Full Version : DorsoDuro 1200...

olie
08-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Manual link....
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/08/aprilia-dorsoduro-1200-leaks-i.html#more
http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/897196_dorsoduro_1200_-_dorsoduro_1200_abs_en-nl

more links to come...
http://www.omnimoto.it/magazine/5239/aprilia-dorsoduro-1200-il-manuale-la-svela
http://www.omnimoto.it/foto/popup/53425/aprilia-dorsoduro-1200-il-manuale-la-svela
http://www.moto-station.com/article9100-news-moto-2011-aprilia-1200-dorsoduro.html

CessnaTPA
08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the links. I'm ready to place my order for one.

Kid A
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Why does this bike have to weigh 470 lbs dry and touching 500 lbs wet? There is no reason this thing should weigh more than a full-fairing sportbike.

I test rode the 750 Dorso and liked it, so much so I considered buying one at one point before I ended up deciding to go with a much lighter weight, single cyl. Sumo bike. I'm sure I'd like this one too if not even more than the 750, but why cant they compete with the Hyper? And also make a 1200 twin motor that can put out more than the now OLD Rotax 990?

The Dorso looks right, feels nice to ride, and sounds good too. But I feel this bike could be so much more.

Tdawg
08-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm sure I'd like this one too if not even more than the 750, but why cant they compete with the Hyper? And also make a 1200 twin motor that can put out more than the now OLD Rotax 990?

agreed on the weight (too heavy), however, remember the hyper is air cooled. The extra fluid, rad, and hoses add weight. Also, i'd guess power is smoother and more linear than the rotax. Euro3 adds weight as well.

Add panniers and chaleco bodywork

this has the hyper listed @ 432 wet
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2010JanIndex.pdf

suedboy
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
The Dorso looks right, feels nice to ride, and sounds good too.

So, where's the problem? Why get all tied up over spec sheets if the thing works?

bgjohnston
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
So, where's the problem? Why get all tied up over spec sheets if the thing works?

I agree. It's not like the current model or the 1200 (assuming it actually appears on showroom floors anytime soon) is going to be the "ultimate" bike for power, speed, braking, or anything else, nor should one expect such. I bought it because it is a great bike for the money, it's fun to ride, and indeed I think it works very well.

maxpower220
08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm sure I'd like this one too if not even more than the 750, but why cant they compete with the Hyper?

The Dorso looks right, feels nice to ride, and sounds good too. But I feel this bike could be so much more.

Can't compete with a Hyper????? How, in the initial costs? Yeah, the Hyper is way more. In after market parts cost? Yeah the Hyper is way more expensive. In 0-60 runs? Yeah, my DD will get there a little faster. In maintenance intervals and costs? Yes, the DD is less intensive and costs less. In technology??? My liquid cooled, tri-map EFI engine is a lot more advanced than the air cooled desmo engine.

BTW, I hope that you weren't talking HM796, because I'm comparing the DD to the HM 1100. Stop looking at skewed data sheets and ride the two bikes. Then, buy the one you like the best. The HM is a great bike, but so is the DD. Both bikes are bastards because they aren't SMs and are only posers.

J.Bauer
08-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I wonder what it will cost.

I mean if they don't change anything except the engine - then what will the actual mechanical differences be? A different set of 'sleeves' (I think I've heard them called), pistons, heads, valves?, other cranking, valving things (you can tell I'm a real gear-head) - I think a case could be made that those different parts need not necessaily cost more. Machine one this size, machine one that size - material-wise not that different, I would think. Would they be different parts than what they 750 has? of course - but do those differences warrant a higher price?

In the end, would Aprilia's cost really be much more than it is for the 750?

Even if the above oversimplification is somewhat accurate (which it very well may not be) - I think they will be able to charge more, simply because of the increased displacement and subsequent power numbers. I just wonder how much more.

Kid A
08-11-2010, 04:58 PM
:chillpill

Just saying, the Hyper is roughly 100 lbs lighter. Yeah its air cooled and makes only just under 100 hp, but it also still makes like 75 ft lbs of torque too.

Anyway the point wasn't that the Hyper is such an awesome bike, but that Aprilia could have put a little more performance into a bike that is advertised as a hooligan street bike. With the 1200 the power should feel pretty good, but 500 lbs. for a modern sporty naked bike just seems against what it's intentions are to begin with. Maybe for a more open road, adventure/tour bike, but not for a performance minded back road burner bike. Not telling anyone not to buy the bike, just throwing an opinion out there on what they could have done with it.

Ed / AF1 Racing
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
:chillpill

Just saying, the Hyper is roughly 100 lbs lighter. Yeah its air cooled and makes only just under 100 hp, but it also still makes like 75 ft lbs of torque too.

have you weighed them? Ducati spec sheets lie ....they are really very close in weight. Dorso 750 is within 2hp HP as the Hyper 1100 (we tested on our dyno). The Hyper does have more torque, but its thousands more $.

Had a guy test ride our DD750 today, for him, its almost a no brainer $13500 OTD for the Hyper1100 from the local Ducrappy place, or $8900 OTD for a Dorso 750 from us. Said both felt the same, comes down to branding and pricing for him.....We should have his deposit tomorrow....

Kid A
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
again, wasn't saying the Dorso is a bad bike. I actually stated I liked it when I test rode a DD 750. Just saying 500 lbs for any naked street bike touted as a hooligan 'Tard type bike is pretty hefty.

And no I don't have them at my disposal with scales. Just going off of listed spec data. I don't put it past any Mfg. to fudge numbers.

aka marco
08-11-2010, 07:27 PM
i agree with KID A, they advertising the dd as a holligans / track tool; in italy they also doing a championship for dorsos and sxv back to back on sumo tracks, aprilia challenge i think it's called, and the bike is far from it, sorry.
i have a factory, and like the look of it and after i sorted the sussies, hanlde very well, but it is overweight and underpowered, this is noy what you would expect form an Aprilia 750twin supermoto; i would expect a bike that wheelie easly at least in first 2 gears, agile and fast.
regarding the HM 1.1 way too expensive even though you get really good suspensions and better brakes than the DD

Charles_MI
08-12-2010, 06:01 AM
The DD750 is great bike, especially the 2010 factory edition but with the 1200 specs published recently, perhaps Aprilia should have set a Ducati Multistrada challenger instead of going on the HM1100 et 990SM tracks.

Thinking that way and as a Tuareg trail bike seems to be released next year, I've photoshoped an anticipated Tuareg Strada 1200. Would it be a better seller ?

http://a.imageshack.us/img571/4098/apriliatuareg750strada2.jpg (http://img571.imageshack.us/i/apriliatuareg750strada2.jpg/)

http://www.moto-infos.com/actualite-005993-aprilia-tuareg-strada-une-omnistrada-a-noale-en-2011.html

jrflanne
08-12-2010, 06:18 AM
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0909_aprilia_dorsoduro_vs_ducati_hypermotard_1 100/index.html

These guys preferred the DD.

CessnaTPA
08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Ed, if aprilia announces the 1200 at the Milan show in November when would you guess US dealers getting delivery?

have you weighed them? Ducati spec sheets lie ....they are really very close in weight. Dorso 750 is within 2hp HP as the Hyper 1100 (we tested on our dyno). The Hyper does have more torque, but its thousands more $.

Had a guy test ride our DD750 today, for him, its almost a no brainer $13500 OTD for the Hyper1100 from the local Ducrappy place, or $8900 OTD for a Dorso 750 from us. Said both felt the same, comes down to branding and pricing for him.....We should have his deposit tomorrow....

Kid A
08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
with the 1200 specs published recently, perhaps Aprilia should have set a Ducati Multistrada challenger instead of going on the HM1100 et 990SM tracks.

Thinking that way and as a Tuareg trail bike seems to be released next year, I've photoshoped an anticipated Tuareg Strada 1200. Would it be a better seller ?

This bike seems much more appropriately aimed and sorted for this type of general use rather than a sporty urban road brawler. Would definitely consider this bike based on my love of Aprilia as a unique brand and that it may work well as this style of bike. I still don't think it will come close to touching the ability of the current generation Multi but that wouldn't stop me from choosing Aprilia over the now overpopulated sea of Ducatis I see everywhere.

SoulDaddy
08-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Have you noticed on aprilia's full page ad in the US mags that has the RSV4 whizzing by a bunch of green tires that the DD is not included with the rest of the line in the thumbnail pics?

Sorta strange.

rx7tt95
08-17-2010, 06:15 PM
If Ducati can get a full fairing 1198 down to sub 400lbs. without fuel, Aprilia can surely knock off some weight on the Dorso. Hell, an early 90's Kawasaki ZX7 weighed about the same and everyone always called them an overweight pig. The Aprilia V-twin engine must be one heavy SOB.

olie
09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
...official pics...

http://www.omnimoto.it/magazine/5380/aprilia-dorsoduro-1200

Brembos, ABS, Traction control, etc ... just missing the "Capo" version...

ensign_crusher
09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
edit: ugg, I suck at BB code, trying to insert an image...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4989805483_f3ef5daa13_b.jpg

RS4EVER
09-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Now let's see its weight...

:banana::banana::banana:

olie
09-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Now let's see its weight...

:banana::banana::banana:

212 Kg (466 lb) dry, it seems a bit heavy but with the 1200cc engine may be just fine. At least with me...

FreindlyFoe
09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
i take it that weight is with the ABS? I bet the ABS component is 15 pounds, aftermarket exhaust probably drops 10 without all the emissions crap. Probably not too hard to get the bike down to 400 lbs.

Tdawg
09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
with all the 800lb hogs and tourers, 1000lbs 2up, shouldn't the DD not be held to supersports weight spec sheets?

if it's anything like the 750 it'll mysteriously lose 50lbs in motion.

if the specs sheets are cause for a diet plan:
-10lbs forged wheels
-10lbs exhaust
-6lbs superlight battery
-2lbs evap can for US customers
-xx Jenny Craig for the rider

with the geometry and 80ft lbs of torque should be 1 front to 4 rears:devil:

olie
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
"-xx Jenny Craig for the rider" would be a great idea but...I cannot pass on the BBQ !!! Not to mention the "Texasized" portions...

Miticale
09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
So would we classify this as a bit more Tourer as compared to the 750, but a bit more hooner-focused than duc's multi 1200? I hope they've done some to increase the tank size / fuel range, at least giving some more capacity in that respect

Tdawg
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
So would we classify this as a bit more Tourer as compared to the 750, but a bit more hooner-focused than duc's multi 1200? I hope they've done some to increase the tank size / fuel range, at least giving some more capacity in that respect

about 1 gallon according to: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2635771#post2635771

so a big hooner, if a 1200shiver (more range) appears that would go against the multi. the V4 Tuono against the streetfighter and the 1200DD against KTM's:confused:

olie
09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
about 1 gallon according to: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2635771#post2635771

so a big hooner, if a 1200shiver (more range) appears that would go against the multi. the V4 Tuono against the streetfighter and the 1200DD against KTM's:confused:
....still missing the "Capo" version...:whiner:

suedboy
09-15-2010, 08:16 PM
....still missing the "Capo" version...:whiner:

I believe the upcoming Tuareg should cover that nicely.

olie
09-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I believe the upcoming Tuareg should cover that nicely.

...you mean the 750 Tuareg ?

Kid A
09-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I've been awaiting this bike since the release of the DD750. the more I contemplate this bike I just can't let go the fact it is nearly 500lbs. I'm sure its still fun to ride, but it has some stiff competition that has already been out on the market with equal or better performance numbers.

I love Aprilia as a brand, and really like the styling of all their bikes (with the exception of maybe the RSV4). I really was thinking of possibly replacing my beloved RSVR with something more wide focused (as I now have a KTM 690 SMC for hooligan fun). I know paper specs don't give the complete answer but this could be one awesome bike had it been more focused on overall performance. With a 1200cc twin this thing should stomp on the competition but it looks like it won't unfortunately. it has just a little less power to weight ratio than the KTM 990 Supermoto, but also 80lbs more to carry around the corners. Had this bike weighed anything near competitive for its class it would have stomped on the market.

FreindlyFoe
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
hehe this just gave me the thought of a 300 pound dude with a huuge gut complaining about how the bike is 60 pounds too heavy. Too funny.

mckee
09-16-2010, 08:55 AM
If Aprilia imports the DD1200 I will buy .

mckee
09-16-2010, 09:16 AM
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2011-aprilia-dorsoduro-1200-unveiled-89955.html

MCN sez it comming to our shores ............

Batfastard
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Video on You Tube.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/docF63-W2aU/default.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzqsY6BTcTs&NR=1)

mckee
09-16-2010, 10:12 AM
yep nice vid ....

SoulDaddy
09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
a-how how how how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jAYrKwQPp0

mckee
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM
My boss is sick of hearing ZZ top at full volume , with me yelling " yes , Yes , YES , I't coming to the USA" while wasting most of the morning here on line and playing air guitar to the video !!!! Nice boss (doesn't ride , says its dangerous . He skydives )WTF , over LOL .

fnfalman
09-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Aprilia needs to make this and the Shiver 1200 to be more like the Moto Morini Corsaro.

More power, less weight. Beaucoupe low & mid-range oomphs.

suedboy
09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
...you mean the 750 Tuareg ?

Rumors are of a 750 and 1200, just like the GS series and Triumph's are going that route.

CessnaTPA
09-16-2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2011-aprilia-dorsoduro-1200-unveiled-89955.html

MCN sez it comming to our shores ............

Cool there is still hope..

We previously reported the Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 would not be coming to North America, but that does not appear to be the case. Aprilia will be importing the new Dorsoduro 1200 but there’s no word yet on when it will arrive at American dealerships.

olie
09-19-2010, 10:46 AM
...expected price based on extrapolation from Ducati prices, it will be $11,990+SH+tax.

Revelstoker
09-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Better comparison is the KTM SMR/SMT at 432lbs wet. Its water cooled as well.

This bike had me wondering if I had bought the wrong bike but when I saw the pics, it looked heavy.

I had a Hyper and not a KTM SMT and the weight is noticeable but not terrible. I do miss the lightness and thinness of the Hyper but the KTM is a much more all-around enjoyable bike.

Now, if they would just release some news on a 1200 Shiver or Tuono F4.

olie
09-25-2010, 07:48 PM
mag cover ...

Kid A
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM
been a while since I've been on the site but this one pisses me off a little....

hehe this just gave me the thought of a 300 pound dude with a huuge gut complaining about how the bike is 60 pounds too heavy. Too funny.

If you really want to go there, I'm 5'11" & 167lbs.

Better comparison is the KTM SMR/SMT at 432lbs wet. Its water cooled as well.I totally agree!

olie
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
From Motorciclismo Italia, via Google...

Aprilia (VENEZIA ) 29 September 2010 - DORSODURO 1200 We have tested preview the 'Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200With the new twin-cylinder 1197 cc, capable of a declared maximum power of 130 hp. When they got in the saddle they all feel , as the piston in the cylinder 106 mm of bore . The result is a maximum speed of 185 km / h displayed by the instrument in third gear and the ability to feather in the fourth . This fun you pay 11,700 euros , which are well spent , even with the knowledge that the design features and performance make it Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 an untamed for use on the road. For those wishing to venture , the House of Noale has included a series of safety equipment first-order : ABS and traction control , which , however, are off when you want to take a leadership pushed beyond the limit. with 115 Nm declared of torque delivered completely from electronic type ride- by-wire you can produce in endless cross outgoing , gentle sliding in entry and easy spikes in acceleration.

ENGINE By comparison with its competitors Ducati Hypermotard and KTM Supermoto , it soon becomes clear that the Dorsoduro 1200 was designed by putting the accuracy directional and robustness of front the fun driving end in itself . The strength is an engine that brings together the strengths of the KTM extension and the of the Ducati mid-range : goes without tears from 1,500 rpm before returning (on average ) one hundred Nm between 3,000 and 6,000 rpm. Then the sound of the exhaust becomes even more engaging and , while some vibration too many spreads to the platforms, the pressure becomes irresistible up at 9750 rpm set , although peak power the is reached about 1,000 times before . By analyzing the behavior of Dorsoduro 1200 compared to the three different mappings selectable , we found that the map Touring ( T) the tachometer needle will has climb fast and very progressive. This is suitable for sporty driving , given that the configuration sport (s ) you receive a reply too sudden as soon as you touch the throttle because, already in its first part of the race , and distributes almost all the power available . Map Rain (R ) softens the engine and is suitable for use in conditions asphalt slippery . Too bad that in all three conditions, the RBW return excessive sweetness , and a delay , the truth is almost imperceptible, in response to the first call of the gas.

CHASSIS The Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 is very round the descent into the fold and smooth changes in direction , but not as quick as its rivals Ducati Hypermotard and KTM Supermoto . Even in dealing with the curves draw a curve radius greater than the average , only to rebuild the corners in support , where it runs fast through a front end "solid" as it rarely happens to find segment motard . Without the help of traction control (which was not available on the bike they gave us ) we felt a strong tendency of the rear tire skidding . is about halfway the inclination up to find, and you call the gas out of corners , the rear end slides out of the curve is gradual and easily controlled , before back pulling as suddenly . The bike is reported itself nearly perpendicular to the ground , and only at that moment , you are slings out of the curve with a speed ( and traction ) without peer. The driving position is excellent and ground clearance plenty of . The braking system Brembo is not overly powerful and well modulated.

Will be presented to 'EICMA 2010, the Motorcycle Show to be held in Milan, 2-7 November.

THUNDADOWNUNDA
10-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Lotsa talk about the weight but just like the 750, ditch those huge cans and throw some akros on and you will start the weight saving immediately.. 1200 with akros.. Now were talking!