PDA

View Full Version : sxv 55o over filled my oil

jjmml
06-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I just got the bike used with 900 miles on it and i changed the oil. however i pored it in by eye. It was a little over max when i started the bike and slowly droped down to half way on the oil sight. i thought id be ok. i road for about 10 miles until the oil light came on and i noticed oil seaking out of the air box. the gear box was full of the oil. From what ive read i blew the oil pump seals. My question is how hard is it going to be to fix this problem.Dose the motor need to come out of the bike and do i have to split the crank to complete the job.

VEETWOTLS
06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
i done a similar thing.

i removed the oil pressure sender to replace forgetting to plug the hole. over night it drained the tank on the floor brand new oil ARRRH

i topped the tank up to 5 to 10mm below full mark forgetting that bit to drain in. started & let idle for 1 to 2 min then shut off checked level WTF over full.

oil seeping from the air box bottom. :(

i drained the box from the drain tube & used a large syringe with a hose to draw oil from the tank via the filler.

also i started the bike after with the box drain tube unpluged to drain more removed cover & air filter to check & make sure it was all drained.k

it saved my ass from blowing a seal. NEVER ride/drive a vehicle after a oil change with out idling & checking levels i always double to triple chec

Markee
06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
For starters dont ever fill your sxv oil 'by eye' the sight tube is not accurate for filling the oil.
Drain the engine oil completely and properly then measure 1250cc into a jug and pour in.
Run the bike to warm it up, then ride in for 10mins at least. Put it on a centre stand when you return and let it idle for a bit then check the sight tube. It should read just over or near the middle of the min and max mark. If it's low add 50cc at a time till it gets to the correct level.
Always measure in, always measure out. This will tell you how much oil your burning and give a great indication on your engine condition.
The XV motor does use oil and must be kept topped up accordingly, if not, suffer the consequences.
You've be warned!

VEETWOTLS
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
For starters don't ever fill your sxv oil 'by eye' the sight tube is not accurate for filling the oil.

even with the mod ? when i done the service i marked the tube.
http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/normal_APRILIA%20RXV%20450%20-%201%20JUNE%202010%20_12_.JPG (http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/APRILIA%20RXV%20450%20-%201%20JUNE%202010%20_12_.JPG)

kssmybass
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
are you saying overfilling the engine with engine oil can cause the crankcase seal to blow??

amauri
06-24-2010, 10:10 AM
The OP is asking how to replace the seal, not how much oil to put in.

Overfilling is not the cause of blown oil pump seals, 80+ psi and a weak seal is.

Replacing the seal is not difficult but requires careful attention to re-assembly, especially re-alignment of the oil pump gear to clutch basket gear.

-lay the bike down on the LH side, resting the handlebar end on a stool about 18" off the ground
-remove the brake pedal and clutch inspection cover
-remove clutch discs, hub and basket
-remove oil pump gears and four bolts holding oil pump to crankcase (careful with the needle roller bearings on the idler gear)
-replace the seal and o-ring and reassemble

Welcome to the forum jjmml

jjmml
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I just want to thank you for answering the question. i really like the bike i just need to get my head on straight with this mantinance.Ill be in touch. Thanks again

HayeSM
06-24-2010, 04:05 PM
how much oil does a 550 use normally? I had to add about 500ml oil after 600km of use.

undergrounder
10-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Last weekend I gave my sxv a oil change
Drained everything polished the fcv valve and made the top edge a little more round.
And put in 1350cc of oil.
Run the bike twice for 15 minutes.
But my oil level keeps in the sight tube near max while the engine is standing still ( off ) even after 2 days.
So did I put in a little to much oil or do I have a fcv valve problem?

MrBoom
10-08-2015, 02:07 PM
You put 100cc too much.

amauri
10-08-2015, 02:34 PM
The FCV top surface and edge is the most important part and critical to how it works.
The sides of the FCV will always be scratched and show a bit of wear, but that is ok.
The top of the valve is what seals up the oil passage, and it is important for the top surface of the FCV to be perfectly flat and smooth (I hope you didn't round it off too much).

As far as the oil level staying high in the tank and not draining into the crankcase even after two days of sitting, nothing wrong with that.
The FCV has nothing to do with the oil level in the tank.

1350cc is not necessarily too much, depends on how well you drained the old oil.
On a fresh rebuild I usually have to put in 1400cc to get the oil level to the middle of the tube with engine hot.

Last weekend I gave my sxv a oil change
Drained everything polished the fcv valve and made the top edge a little more round.
And put in 1350cc of oil.
Run the bike twice for 15 minutes.
But my oil level keeps in the sight tube near max while the engine is standing still ( off ) even after 2 days.
So did I put in a little to much oil or do I have a fcv valve problem?

mikesbaron
03-21-2016, 06:40 PM
I ended up putting 15w-60 engine oil in my crankcase on this last oil change(s). Am I ok to run that instead of the 80W stuff?

SXVINWA
03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
525-550 ml depending who you ask.