PDA

View Full Version : strange noise from tail section?!

vtrandall
03-07-2004, 08:17 PM
First off it was an outstanding day here in NorCal to go riding. :)
(unless you get behind a pack of 15 harley riders) :(
Gonna have to break out the perf'd leathers, getting warm.

Pulled back into the driveway, shut off the bike, pulling all the gear off....I notice a sound coming from the tail section of the bike.
A kind of "hmmmmmmmmmm..." then it stops. It starts up about 10 seconds later, then stops again. I just went back and checked it again-15 minutes later- no "mmmmmmmm" now.
Is it some sorta cooling fan for the cpu?

ideas anyone?

randall

Kiwi_M5
03-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by vtrandall
First off it was an outstanding day here in NorCal to go riding. :)
(unless you get behind a pack of 15 harley riders) :(
Gonna have to break out the perf'd leathers, getting warm.

Pulled back into the driveway, shut off the bike, pulling all the gear off....I notice a sound coming from the tail section of the bike.
A kind of "hmmmmmmmmmm..." then it stops. It starts up about 10 seconds later, then stops again. I just went back and checked it again-15 minutes later- no "mmmmmmmm" now.
Is it some sorta cooling fan for the cpu?

ideas anyone?

randall

Did you tell your wife she could open her eyes and get off :)

Seriously, wouldnt have a clue unless you have one of those cannister (evoporative charcoal cannister) things in the back.

Funnily enough my girlfriends car does the same thing ... I decided to track it down one night by sitting in the garage with a tube stuck in my ear and the other ended strategically placed over various parts of te engine till I pin-pointed it to be some type of pressure buildup in the clutch resovoir. Cured by opening the lid, but it always happens.

Good luck finding it. If you are banished to your garage to smoke ciggies, then you'll have enough time to find it, but use a hose to pinpoint it. Would hate to think its the electrics, but thats all thats left if you dont have the cannister .. which case back to the dealer

vtrandall
03-08-2004, 01:14 AM
yup, here in CA the evap can is installed. I was trying to hear where it is coming from....I guess it could be coming from it??
It does eventually stop, like all the excess gas has been released?
is my bike farting :) ???

randall

Kiwi_M5
03-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by vtrandall
yup, here in CA the evap can is installed. I was trying to hear where it is coming from....I guess it could be coming from it??
It does eventually stop, like all the excess gas has been released?
is my bike farting :) ???

randall

That'll be it .. try the hose trick to confirm exactly where the noise comes from. You really need other CA 04 owners to provide some feedback to confirm it.

I have seen a few discussions here on the cannister and still am none the wiser for how it works. I might have missed something so perhaps a search will gleen a little bit of help

Dean

vtrandall
03-08-2004, 01:30 AM
yeah, I need to pull it, to make a little extra storage space, if nothing else. I yanked the can on my Superhawk without any problems surfacing. I think I can take it off the Mille without f'n with the FI.

...at least I think I can.....

I also noticed that the can was kinda warm too.

randall

Scary
03-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Sounds like a fuel tank cap venting pressure.My ladies Ducati does it.Probably no help at all but thought I put in 2 cents worth.
All the best.