PDA

View Full Version : Need you guys' opinion on this dyno

Befbever
03-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi all, don't know if you remember me from the earlier threads about slip-ons.
They've been totally re-designed and we've got an exhaust system too.
First step (before pics) was to get a dyno run. The bike we had however had the warning triangle come on sporadically and also the EFI warning. We don't know what the problem was and ran out of time to check.
And there was no other RSV '04 in the database so we couldn't cross-check. Again, no time to put on the stock system again.
Our set-up is unprecedented on the RSV '04. The cans have a design you've never seen before on an RSV. Pics later, tell me what you think about the dyno please. Clarkie??

Befbever
03-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Btw, according to its owner, the bike ran really poorly before the dyno run (and with the stock exhaust system) between 3k and 5k rpm. The warning came on when decellerating in this particular area.

'Air!' just means compressed air being blown into the airduct. The dyno had no fan directed into the duct. :mad:

clarkie49
03-07-2004, 11:31 AM
hey bef,

i would have to see a dyno with the map set to # 2 to get a real idea

you still have the dip in the torque at around 5,500rpm and while the cats account for part of the the map 1 is also responsible for part of it.

switch to map 2 and set the Fuchs dyno settings to rear wheel.

i only say this as i have qute a few dyno graphs with the power at the wheel and it will be easier to compare what you have.

cheers

scott2ride
03-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi Bef

It's not totally clear what you've done.

But is this Dyno graph showing the blue line for the bike as standard, and the red line as the bike with your pipes?

If so, the results seem very poor to me. Millemans home conversion got superior results. I think the initial HP numbers look good, particularly for on a Fuchs Dyno (Though I'm sure we'd prefer to see the hp figures at the rear wheel), however there does not seem to be much improvement when the pipes are added.

In fact there seems to be no real improvement at all. If you'd done two dyno runs back to back and made NO changes to the bike, then it's not uncommon to still get this sort of variation in the graphs.

Or am I interpreting this wrong? Is this the before shots and you havent added your pipes yet?

Thunder Factory
03-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Scot

Looks like the graphs are showing different runs with the "new" cans as Bef is asking for anyone with a stock run to post it for info.

Bef

I recently ran my bike on a Scahs and as Clarkie says if you can post the rwhp I#d be interested in seeing it.

Seems like the 5K dip is still showing, but Clarkies mentioned Map 2 as a potential solution. With map2 on my run the dip was not present.

Finally how many kilometers on the bike you ran and do you have a fuel ratio graph?

Befbever
03-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks, gentlemen. Some clarification: there was very little time to do the dynos.
I did (not: had :)) the runs and on the first run the bike ran poorly between 3k and 5k rpm, really stuttering. Something the owner of said bike had complained about earlier, ie with his stock system. Both runs showing were done with our system. I did about 5 runs, always with similar results. IMHO, the torque dip is HUGE. Impressive torque values tho. Still, it was the first new RSV '04 on that dyno. It has few kms, a couple of thousand I think and the owner is kinda 'prudent' with it. Ahem. :)
Afterwards, the Aprilia dealer (who owns the dyno) came to us with the Axone tool in his hands. He sourced it somewhere, but still hadn't got the training. The thing began to bleep from the moment he entered the mapping mode. He tried to load the 2nd map nonetheless but the dyno read 4 hp less after that. I think there's something wrong with the bike, could be a disconnected sensor somewhere. We took the system off and left the bike for the dealer to try and sort what the problem was.

I couldn't print out rear wheel values as time was very short and the printer's very slow. The Fuchs doesn't have an air-fuel ratio indication which sucks as you're nowhere without it.
:gunner:
Neither does it have a fan to feed the central airduct. Which also sucks bigtime.

Needless to say, we'll have our own dyno as soon as piggybank allows.

We plan on going back Wednesday (if the bike's fixed) at which time I'll take pics of the cans and system.

Why a semi-full system? Cheaper for one. Easier to fit too. There are other reasons of course. :)
A full system is in the works but that'll be a Ti one and is intended for racers.

Befbever
03-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Btw, other aftermarket cans also fit our collector.
Thought that would interest you.
Somewhat.
;)

scott2ride
03-08-2004, 03:09 PM
You've got my interest!

Befbever
03-10-2004, 04:28 AM
Wednesday and the test has been postponed a day so I can't be there as I'm working tomorrow.
I've studied Thunderfactory's dynos tho. We're not doing too badly, considering it was map1 we tested with. I'm sure T-Factory will agree. ;)
Yesterday, A Factory with Akra Full System was tested on the same dyno and we're up 4hp on that. :D
All hearsay, I wasn't there. ;)

Will keep you posted.

Befbever
03-12-2004, 02:11 PM
So, bike fixed but only tested the slipons.
Results are baffling.
Will post dyno tomorrow.
:D

scott2ride
03-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Befbever
So, bike fixed but only tested the slipons.
Results are baffling.
Will post dyno tomorrow.
:D

Results"Baffling" ha ha...you kill me!:D :happy: :happy: :D :D :D