PDA

View Full Version : What tyres are you running on your Factory?

m00c0w
03-06-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm going to out the supercorsars this week. They do not suit the road, well, certainly not over here.

Been thinking of putting Diablos on there as an alternative and selling the corsars off.

Anyone else changed the tyres, and what are you running?

Felix Da Cat
03-06-2004, 05:14 PM
I love the Pirelli SC's on mine. I had to replace my rear last week due to a puncture and put on a Bridgestone BT010.

I can't complain and it handles good. I also took a pillion around the mountains, and although I didn't go crazy, the bike performed flawlessly.

... my 2 cents worth anyway ...

Thunder Factory
03-06-2004, 05:31 PM
When I collected the bike at the end of September it was with a Bridgestone 010 front and a 020 rear in place of the standard tyres.

Coming into the winter the stock tyres did not inspire any confidence at all, so I went for a combination I've used previously.

Always been a Bridgestone fan and for cold weather road riding in this part of the world I have yet to find anything to beat them.

stinky
03-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Got a set of Diablo Corsas on order - I'll put 'em on once the stock Supercorsas wear out.

Merto
03-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
When I collected the bike at the end of September it was with a Bridgestone 010 front and a 020 rear in place of the standard tyres.

Coming into the winter the stock tyres did not inspire any confidence at all, so I went for a combination I've used previously.

Always been a Bridgestone fan and for cold weather road riding in this part of the world I have yet to find anything to beat them.

Thunder. what are you planing to run on for your trip to Spain and back?

I used to run (the old style) super corsa front and corsa rear on my ZX9R and it would kill the rear in around 1000 miles of hard road riding (in Scotland with low road temperatures). I guess rear tyre wear isnt so bad on a twin. What sort of mileage are you guys seeing (on the road)?

Thunder Factory
03-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Merto

What tyres to run on the Spanish trip is something we are currently discussing so your experience could well be useful.

Thee round trip is likely to be over 3000 miles and I don't want to worry about looking for tyre outlets, so while I normally change to a 010 rear in the spring I'm seriously considering fitting a fresh 010 / 020 combination.

I'd read in an article that with Spanish roads being dusty it was best to fit "sticky" rubber but no was would the like of the Supacorsa last the trip.

I'm happy with the 010 as a great sports tyre so the fronts sorted, the 020 is classed as a sports touring tyre and the dual compunds with a harder centre and soft edges seems the best compromise for the job and should just about last the distance.

Any thoughts for Spanish roads?

Merto
03-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Merto

What tyres to run on the Spanish trip is something we are currently discussing so your experience could well be useful.

Thee round trip is likely to be over 3000 miles and I don't want to worry about looking for tyre outlets, so while I normally change to a 010 rear in the spring I'm seriously considering fitting a fresh 010 / 020 combination.

I'd read in an article that with Spanish roads being dusty it was best to fit "sticky" rubber but no was would the like of the Supacorsa last the trip.

I'm happy with the 010 as a great sports tyre so the fronts sorted, the 020 is classed as a sports touring tyre and the dual compunds with a harder centre and soft edges seems the best compromise for the job and should just about last the distance.

Any thoughts for Spanish roads?

Dont think I'll be much help...I bought my place there a couple of years ago but spent most of that time in West Africa with my WR426, Siberia with my vodka and now Indonesia. I havent actually owned a bike on the road there yet and wont pick up the Factory till I get back at the end of May.

The minor roads can be a little sandy close to the coast but the rest shouldnt be too bad when your going. They get worse as the dry summer draws on but it depends on how you plan to ride. If your fast cruising with luggage etc then I would say your 010/020 combo should be fine. If your planing to get a serious wiggle on, I would be looking to something softer.

For my round trip to Scotland I was considering Dragon Evos or standard Diablos. I like Pirellis from past experience and found them a little harder to tip in than some others but always planted through the turn. I would consider a touring rear for the trip up but once I get there and ditch the luggage.....hmmm, depends on the weather in Scotland I suppose.... better take one of these then.........:happy:

m00c0w
03-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Anyone got a 190 on the rear?

Notice any difference?

Kiwi_M5
03-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by m00c0w

Notice any difference?

I got the standard Michelin 190 but heard that Dunlop are bringing out a 190 that handles like a 180.

I know nothing about tyre response for bikes so cant add value but evidently the press are pretty hot about the new Dunlop due out.

Thunder Factory
03-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by m00c0w

Notice any difference?

The R comes with a 190 profile, the Factory with 180.

m00c0w
03-08-2004, 07:26 AM
The R comes with a 190 profile, the Factory with 180.

Oh right.

The Aprilia web site says 180, but 190 optional, so was wondering if it made any difference.

At the moment I am going with a Diablo Corsa, and then put the Super Corsa back on for when I go to South of France, but still aren't too sure.

VAMilleR
03-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I had a 190 on my '01 Mille R, but it was a SC 190/55. The 190/55 profile is similar to a 180/55, but you actually get more contact patch when you are leaned way over. Turn in was exactly the same and maybe even better, although it may have been a result of the ass end being jacked up a little. I would not put a 190/50 on the Mille.

I love the SCs they are brilliant, but only when it is dry. In the wet they are a little sketchy.

HixX
03-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Ive had a couple of scary moments with the SC's in the damp/wet and definatley would not recommend knee down action on "moist" days . They're great in the dry and REALLY great when the tarmacs warm.:)
I had BT010's on my Fireblade and rated them in the wet and dry.

Thunder Factory
03-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Always favoured Bridgstones, but today when ordering a new chain and tank cover for the bike I got a crazy deal on a set of Dunlop 208's. Thought I'd use them on the Spanish trip, anyone any experience of them?

zx6racer
03-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I got Pirelli sc on both my bikes:D

mille-ryan
03-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Just a little info for you all. Im using the standard tires that cam on the bike, the SC's. Well jus as I expected, well a little sooner that is, its time for new.Last time I ran Pirellis they went to the belts at 3000 niles, now and the new bike Im at about 2600 miles and its almost gone.Dammit not even Spring yet and I gotta get tires :D :D

m00c0w
03-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Always favoured Bridgstones, but today when ordering a new chain and tank cover for the bike I got a crazy deal on a set of Dunlop 208's. Thought I'd use them on the Spanish trip, anyone any experience of them?

Oh dear dude. Never used them, but have been warned away from them.

Have been recommended the 207RR's though.

Thunder Factory
03-09-2004, 08:57 AM
207RRs would not have a chance in lastring the trip, read some decent feedback on the 208's from tests, but nothing to beat actual experience, sooo, if anyone has some let me know:D

:peace:

cyclrder
03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
I have a 03 RSVR.. bought a month ago...came with SCs...

I have been trying to get the mileage on to break it in... the Super Corsas are terrible and downright dangerous for the roads... (New York City and the wilds of CT... 40 to 55 degrees F)..put 450 miles on them and replaced with the standard Diablos ($161)... I am not looking back...

one particular day.. took the RSVR out... was like riding on oiled ice cubes...went home..pulled the CBR1100XX out with Pilot Sport HPXs on it... couldn't believe the diff.. and the Michelins aren't noted for being all that fast to warm up... FYI..had 010s on before... they were flawless.. 8k.. the best in rain or cold...never a hint of tossing me)

as for tire size... stay with the 180s on the rear...will make the steering fast... Tuono's and non ohlin's equipped bikes come with the 190s... that is for showroom bragging.... ever wonder why the GP bikes are running 180s on the rear?

one last note...that new Michelin pilot sport is suppose to be the vanilla tits... don't think it is out here in the states... but is a combo of all the Michelin's GP knowledge rolled up in a tire with fast heat up, tons of silica (for rain), and the stickiness for hard riding... but I still like the idea of an Italian tire on a Italian bike...