PDA

View Full Version : case and inspection

soyrico
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm trying to find out where coolant is leaking into the engine case. It's not very much coolant but enough to raise concern.

Here are the facts:

-200 cc of missing oil. Im sure this has to do with improper ring installation.
-Coolant in case oil only.
-Oil pump seals are good. no oil in gear box

Deck height:
Case = 43.00 mm
Liner = 43.10 mm
OEM O'ring

-updated head gasket

Look at the pictures below. I used a mirror to inspect the "V" section of the my RXV 450 case and I saw the sealant lifting back a little. I don't know if its from the oil being splashed around or a faulty seal. If this was caused by coolant would it leak at this location?

Take a look at the last picture. For demonstration reasons I used this illustration from another thread that Amauri posted awhile back. I hope you don't mind Amauri. The yellow arrow indicates where the sealant is lifting. If so, would that mean that the red circle area are coolant passages. I circled the other passages in case someone cares to comment. Keep in mind the last picture is not my case.

soyrico
06-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Need some confirmation please. Need to know if the red circle above in the picture are coolant passages.

thanks

Allen Noland
06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Need some confirmation please. Need to know if the red circle above in the picture are coolant passages.

thanks

Those are just pockets in the casting, they don't go anywhere.

soyrico
06-06-2010, 06:03 PM
thank you Allen. That means in my situation water is getting past my liners or gasket then. Do you use sealant between the case and liner? I kind of recall seeing a red film or layer of sealant when I originally pulled the liners from the case the first time. The manual doesn't mention anything about it.

Allen Noland
06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
No sealant goes on the o-rings or cylinder/case surfaces. You usually see some in there because it squished out during assembly. Sealant failure in the "coolant green" circled areas is one of the most common causes of coolant in the oil. You can even see the oil stains on the sealant in this picture.