PDA

View Full Version : Stock can ...what to remove inside to get a better sound

kingkauf
06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi guys,

Here in Québec, as soon as you modify or change your pipe or exhaust, you get a ticket...they insert a steel wire in your exhaust..no restriction...you get a ticket. I want to get more sound but don't want to change the pipe. I just want to open the stock can, remove extra stuff and weld it back. I will keep the spark arrestor so no problem for tickets lol.. Anyway, they are very unfamiliar with sxv or rxv models..

Does anyone has open and modify is stock can for bette sound. Will it affect the engine performance with the derestricted mapping. Will I have to remap it??

Thanks for your input.

GOLDS
06-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Try a quick search, all your answers are here. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165785&highlight=mod+stock+exhaust

kingkauf
06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
After reading it, I think i will go with an Arrow ou Silmoto exhaust that can keep my 2 OEM exhaust tip. Which one is the best way to go and where to buy it? Anyone has a used one to sell?

maple2
06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I recently cut the top off my exhaust can, mostly to see if there was something I could do about the heat on my seatpan. I only just looked at the other thread with pictures, and, I gotta say, the tubes leading to the exit tips on mine are not the same as those. I have an 09 and that thread was older. Anyway, I simply removed thecurved sections that lead from the bottom chamber to the tips, leaving it just "open" in there , shaved (lowered) the lid to the first bump by the battery box and reassembled it. I didnt want to mess with the crossovers in the bottom section as I have always felt that had something to do with equalizing the different header lengths.(?)
I figured the gasses still got out, with less restirction and not as much molten metal under my butt. I liked the way the bike ran, but also figured I should change out the stock airfiter (500 miles). this was a little restictive, so a new K&N increased airflow at reasonably the same rate that I increased the outflow of the can. Didnt even remap!! I was VERY happy with the gain in performance, pleasantly suprised that it was barely any louder, though. Sorry.
Overall, I would say it was worth doing. the engine revs from 5500 to 9500 much faster than before. Front end lighter and I gained 7 to 9 mph on the top end, with stock gearing. Kind of makes 4th gear seem longer. Not something that gives it more bottom, -It's just not that kind of mod. Cheapest gain in performance on anything I've ever owned, I think. Like many, I thought the stock tips looked good. I just couldnt handle "loud" or afford aftermarket around here on the street. A cop cant even see the welding. Hope you find this useful, sorry I didnt take pics.

SPEEDxNASTY
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Go for a Silmoto, steel or titanium, dual outlet version, keeps the stock look... single is way too loud!
And yes, you'll need to re-map it or it will run like crap and damage the engine.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/En-nIYq4rCE&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/En-nIYq4rCE&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ask Stuart from Alice about it.
http://www.aliceracing.com/

kingkauf
06-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Go for a Silmoto, steel or titanium, dual outlet version, keeps the stock look... single is way too loud!
And yes, you'll need to re-map it or it will run like crap and damage the engine.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/En-nIYq4rCE&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/En-nIYq4rCE&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ask Stuart from Alice about it.
http://www.aliceracing.com/

Anyone knows where I can get a used or new one in North america???

kingkauf
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I recently cut the top off my exhaust can, mostly to see if there was something I could do about the heat on my seatpan. I only just looked at the other thread with pictures, and, I gotta say, the tubes leading to the exit tips on mine are not the same as those. I have an 09 and that thread was older. Anyway, I simply removed thecurved sections that lead from the bottom chamber to the tips, leaving it just "open" in there , shaved (lowered) the lid to the first bump by the battery box and reassembled it. I didnt want to mess with the crossovers in the bottom section as I have always felt that had something to do with equalizing the different header lengths.(?)
I figured the gasses still got out, with less restirction and not as much molten metal under my butt. I liked the way the bike ran, but also figured I should change out the stock airfiter (500 miles). this was a little restictive, so a new K&N increased airflow at reasonably the same rate that I increased the outflow of the can. Didnt even remap!! I was VERY happy with the gain in performance, pleasantly suprised that it was barely any louder, though. Sorry.
Overall, I would say it was worth doing. the engine revs from 5500 to 9500 much faster than before. Front end lighter and I gained 7 to 9 mph on the top end, with stock gearing. Kind of makes 4th gear seem longer. Not something that gives it more bottom, -It's just not that kind of mod. Cheapest gain in performance on anything I've ever owned, I think. Like many, I thought the stock tips looked good. I just couldnt handle "loud" or afford aftermarket around here on the street. A cop cant even see the welding. Hope you find this useful, sorry I didnt take pics.

Could you draw a picture and post it?

MBevans
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Not to sound weird, which I am, but if there was a "magical" fix for the stock system, especially on the RXV then it would have been proven already.....And proven by dyno readings..

The slow speeds found off-road heat the poor shock up considerably.....And yes not so drastic on the street, but tackling trails with a noisy exhaust that just "may" offer more seat of the pants feeling is not enough for me to cut up an already good exhaust system.
That said my OEM exhaust is happy sitting in a box in the garage as there is a real exhaust on her, a Akra-side mount that does not heat the shock as much, and makes much more HP, at a quieter level.......
As really isn't it really about the power?
Rock-on!!

M

maple2
06-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Mbevans, I certainly agree with your points, especially the shock temp. wow . I just havent got a dyno available to me easily. I know the difference between "feels" and "sounds" and dyno results. I could only go on prior race and riding experience and the digital speedo:) it comes with. It's erratic and probably innacurate, but it was before . It just reads higher now. It's not magical by any means and surely isnt as good as an aftermarket system, but it was free.