PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins shock & Race Tech Gold Valves

Biker_911
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Just ordered the Factory Ohlins shock and Race Tech Gold Valves for the forks on my 2007.5. I don't do track days, just not satisfied with the stock shock (P.O.S.). The forks are OK, just seem to be harsh over the little stuff and when I reduce compression damping to fix that, then it dives too much under braking. I'm 175lbs and want the suspension to be really smooth. Any suggestion on where to start for the settings on my stock forks after the Gold Valve upgrade? I would assume I can use the recommendations for the Factory for the rear shock settings but, is that correct? I know that one end affects the other so, would the settings be different on the shock since I have the stock 'R' fork at the front? Thanks.

rayrey
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Let us know how things work out. I was thinking of doing the race tech gold valves on my bike How much for the valves. I live in So. Cal and would take my bike to race tech

stunva
06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, keep us up to date I'm not far off doing what you are about to, it would be good to see how it works out. I'm also the same weight so very keep to know what settings suit you best. The suspension on my 06R is crap compared to my old 05GSXR.

ResoundingYes
06-01-2010, 09:45 PM
While you're at it, raise the rear and lower the front. It will change everything for the better. The bike becomes quicker to turn in and turn out of corners and the adds to the front/rear weight distribution (puts more weight over the front of the bike). My bike is lowered 3 bars on the front and raised as much as possible in the rear (using a sachs RSVR shock).

Biker_911
06-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Let us know how things work out. I was thinking of doing the race tech gold valves on my bike How much for the valves. I live in So. Cal and would take my bike to race tech

Around $175.00 for the Gold Valves. Everything I've heard about Race Tech has been really good. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Stretch
06-04-2010, 01:49 AM
I fitted Gold Valves to my 2000 RSV forks - best thing I ever did. Had to do minor very machining on the Showa internals to get the damper rod exactly concentric with the fork to reduce stiction from the original 20mm down to 7mm (difference between L1 and L2) which also made a big difference. Well worth the effort.

Biker_911
06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Picked up the Tuono this morning. Max at Florida Motosports set the sag front and rear with all my gear on. What a difference. The fork is much smoother over the sharp edged stuff without having too much dive under braking. The rear with the Ohlins is now more supple over everything campared to the stock Sachs. I'll be doing some fine tuning with the clickers over the next few weeks but the overall change compared to the stock suspension is like night and day. I'm not a racer and probably won't ever do a track day but I'm really happy with the way the new suspension rides and the way the bike handles.

stunva
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Great news.

I just won an RSV fully adjustable shock on ebay, I'll give that a run before I splurg on the ohlins rear. Also great to hear the gold valves done the job on the Showa front end, I'll save my pennys and head down that path soon.

Thanks for the feedback.