PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Mille Data Dump

MaXX
03-05-2004, 01:32 PM
OK Guys, I just spent the better part of the last 30 minutes reading through threads, I need a one thread data dump. I own a 2002 Mille and an 03 Tuono R. I am thinking of going to an 04 Factory. With all that said, what has been the consistent issues so far, what have we found about the new air intake. Give me the down and dirty.

i.e. for the 02, derestrict snorkels and air box inlet, exhaust, new EPROM, air box kit, throttle bodies out to 54....

Common issues: older models, warped rotors, fuel pressure gauge....

Thanks in advance fella's. I am leaning towards the bike coming with the full Aprilia Akrapovic system, I read somewhere that there are two maps in the new ECU, is it something I can swap myself, when?

Thanks,

MaXX

confucius
03-05-2004, 02:53 PM
problems first:

air in the clutch--fix by bleeding
excess heat from stock cans--fix by swapping out for aftermarket

good mods:
airbox kit--any of the kits out there seem to work well
cans--seem to be personal preference
map 2--you need to have your dealer perform this. power commander is working on a usb ver. as far as i know not avail yet in the states-but just around the corner.
gear up on the rear sprocket or down on the front.

the bike is worth the money.

Thunder Factory
03-05-2004, 06:31 PM
I'll post a reply to your question tomorrow wen I'm sober and able to deal with your questions properly, for now can I just say you have excellent taste in avaatars.

Number 3 will never be the same again!

Thunder Factory
03-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Right my heads cleared so let me dump on you! :bitchslap :D

Only problem I've had so far is a broken hugger bolt as the steel screws are dry fitted but my dealer is sorting that under warranty. In hindsight I should have made removing the screws and adding some Coppa Slip one of my first jobs but you learn by your mistakes.

Stock cans do run hot , but they need to with the cats fitted into them, it's part of the process for low emissions.

No issues personally so far with the clutch but it has been mentioned by different members of the collective.

Must do mods? Well to get the bike back to the way Aprilia wanted it before it was altered to meet legislation the must do's are:

Fit cat free exhaust
Switch to map 2
Disable the flapper valve
Add some teeth to the rear sprocket (going to 42 from new is OK, and even 43 with a few hundred miles on the chain but anything higher means changing the chain)

After the "essentials" (my personal opinion of course) I'd seriously consider:

Air kit, twins love air
PC£ or equivelent and custom map
Crash protecors ( the costs of replacing plastics and damaged exhausts make these a must have in my opinion)

No issues of deresticting the bike as unlike the previous model they leave the Factory at "full" power. Chipping the ECU not possible, it no longer uses one:p: Changing maps is a dealer option currently, and that's if your dealer has the correct equipment.

Hope this small summary is useful, we are all learning as we go with this one, but looking back on the boards there is a heck of a lot of information already from a bike only launched last August.

:peace:

MaXX
03-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Thank you both, gets me started!!!!

All dealers do NOT have the correct software to change the map???? Hmmmmm???

MaXX

Thunder Factory
03-07-2004, 03:42 AM
MaXX

To change the maps on the 04 you ned the Axone handheld and at least version 5 of the software.

The Axone has been arround for a couple of years and was used for the Futura, Caponord and Pegaso from memory, thing is not all dealers ordered one because of the cost.

In the UK at least it seems that the introduction of the 04 caused dealers who had not already got an Axone a problem as there has been a delay dealing with the increase in orders.

Those dealers who had them had no problems but it made me think how the heck were those who did not servicing the other bikes for the last couple of years?

MaXX
03-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks Thunder/ Guys, I really appreciate the information.

MaXX