PDA

View Full Version : How to look after a black bike

m00c0w
03-04-2004, 04:18 PM
I've only had my bike a couple of days and already you can see scratches on it, which I am none to impressed about.

All comes with the territory of owning a black bike apparently, although I never knew this before hand (all of a sudden, I wish I had a red one).

Anyone else got a black bike that has managed to keep on top of it looking nice and new? I'm very fussy and even the smallest thing will piss me off and whenever I look at it, I will zoom in on things like this.

Any ideas? Does anyone make a tank cover for a Factory yet?

mixR
03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Remember that black does NOT scratch easier than any other colour, it just shows scratches off more.
Don't get too paranoid about it and start polishing out the smallest marks because you'll only polish away the lacquer. Just treat it like any other colour and don't worry about polishing out the minor scuffs until trade-in time.

m00c0w
03-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by mixR
Remember that black does NOT scratch easier than any other colour, it just shows scratches off more.
Don't get too paranoid about it and start polishing out the smallest marks because you'll only polish away the lacquer. Just treat it like any other colour and don't worry about polishing out the minor scuffs until trade-in time.

True I guess. Infact giving it more thought tihs evening I reckon this is what I will do - or, get it treated by a pro in a years time or something.

What about a tank cover, anyone know if there is one for the Factory yet? not a great thing to have on a sportsbike, but if it saves my paint, I don't care.

Buddy
03-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Get over it! It will be covered in bugs and road grime in no time. My advice to you is to get a hammer and hit it in a couple of places. Step back and evaluate the damage and go on with your life.

m00c0w
03-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Buddy
Get over it! It will be covered in bugs and road grime in no time. My advice to you is to get a hammer and hit it in a couple of places. Step back and evaluate the damage and go on with your life.

:rambo: I don't think so!

Johnny in Oz
03-04-2004, 08:32 PM
As a the fussy owner of a Black Factory (one month old) I feel your pain.

Fortunately the pleasure of riding the bike compensates for the more apparent blemishes. If I ever get around to it I'm going to investigate that protective clear film stuff.

In the meantime, I carefully apply black tape to the sensitive parts of the bike when necessary, like touring and trackdays. It comes off without disturbing the paintwork and prevents the blemishes of wear and tear.

This is also my first black bike, but I've found the same issue with all my bikes. Black is simply more obvious - and sexier though. :)

Dunno about denting the bike to get over it, but the first cut (or scratch) is definitely the deepest.

For those marks that really piss me off (like on the tail where a bag strap rubbed thru the paintwork before I applied the tape), I'm thinking of maybe some discrete stickers.

FWIW

John

Dvus
03-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Yup shows up too much. If you think fine scratches are bad. Wait till you go on some group rides or go to the track. The rock chips suck ass!!!

Thunder Factory
03-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Bagster have released a tank cover for the 04 and it's curently available.

KaneRSV
03-05-2004, 12:00 AM
m00c0w, This might sound a little stupid, and at first I thought it was too, but my last bike before my Mille was gloss black and I had the same concerns as you. I have gotten into painting bikes part time and the guy I am learning from has a 5 year old black car that is pristine. He swears by black colored or tinted wax for black finishes (not the matte black). Anyway I gave it a try and it worked like a charm. Gets rid of the swirl marks and minor scratches. I wouldn't recommend something like red wax for a red car, but for black finishes, black wax works great. Try it, I'll bet you will have a grin ear to ear. Just remember as with any wax, don't wax it in the sun.

Merto
03-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Yup, I gree with Kane. Ive never had a black bike (well OK, I had a black (ish) CX500 MANY moons ago but it was held together with string and duct tape anyway so scratches werent exactly a focal point) but I have had a couple of black cars and the pigmented polish does work. Just remember they come in regular and metallic versions so pick the right one!:D

m00c0w
03-05-2004, 04:55 AM
Thanks guys. I know where I can get some of that stuff too, so I'll buy some at lunch time today.

Thanks for the heads up there Thunder Factory! I'll order one of those today whilst I'm at it!!

Apart from the scratches, I love this bike! Wheelspins well doesn't it!

DRT-Tuning
03-05-2004, 09:30 AM
I know it sounds hars, but try living with it, cause there's only so much you can do. So I don't own a bike (yet) my Aprilia Acoter is all black, so I also have black plastic body pannels. Yes you see every mark on it, but hey, black is the coolest color.

90% of the problem is a "mental" one. (you) the owner knows every tiny spot and scratch on it, but just keep in mind, other people that see your bike don't and will not see it the way you do.

m00c0w
03-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by DRT-Tuning
90% of the problem is a "mental" one. (you) the owner knows every tiny spot and scratch on it, but just keep in mind, other people that see your bike don't and will not see it the way you do.

Very true.

The last bike I had got a few marks on it, and I managed to ignore them after a while. The same will happen on this no doubt, but I will get it resprayed if it really bothers me.

The first bike I owned I used to spend 2 whole days cleaning it! This bike is worth so much more to me as, out of all the bikes up to 30k, this is the one I wanted. I still havn't stopped grinning yet.

Took Thunder Factorys advice and ordered a tank cover today. Not the coolest thing to have on a sports bike, but if it stops further markings then I'm all for it.

DockingPilot
03-05-2004, 01:26 PM
I have a black Volvo and a black BMW K1200RS. You want your black RSV to have a shine as deep as a diamond mine ? Get yourself some P21S, it's all I use. You cant find it at walmart though. Just do a search. Important! follow the directions, if you leave it on like silicone wax, it will take a belt sander to get it off. But whatta shine :)

Thunder Factory
03-05-2004, 06:52 PM
I got the anwser to your question, just occurred to me. Are you ready? Sure? well....

PAINT IT SILVER, PROBLEM SOLVED!

:banana: :banana:

NoNick
03-05-2004, 07:13 PM
I am gonna cover it with black-sticker-sheets they use for making all kinds of words/signs to put on cars or windows. I found the exact color black and when applied it is hardly visible. It did a test with a small piece and tried to get it off after a week: no problem or visible damage at all!

m00c0w
03-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
I got the anwser to your question, just occurred to me. Are you ready? Sure? well....

PAINT IT SILVER, PROBLEM SOLVED!

:banana: :banana:

Silver ones are slower though :D

NoNick, is there a URL where I can get that stuff from?

Thunder Factory
03-06-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by m00c0w
Silver ones are slower though :D

Keep telling yourself that long enough and you'll start to belive it. I can understand you need to clutch at straws at a time like this and the scientific proof I have which counters your belief is the last thing you need to see at a time like this so for the sake of your sanity I won't publish it under any circumstances :D

BTW contact Mac at ezgraphics about the stuff No nick mentioned.

:peace: