PDA

View Full Version : Previous/Current Speed Triple owners

topsyt
05-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Looking for contrast/compare information from anyone who has owned both the latest gen Tuono and Speed Triple.

In additon to the bike's characteristics, I'd like to know about significant issues with both bikes.

Thanks

Harry H
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Had the 955i Speed and have spent a fair amount of time on the latest vision.

The triple motor is the best part of the bike and sounds fantastic with a proper can. The Tuono is way sharper in the handling department and makes the Trumpet feel a bit heavy.

windy
05-06-2010, 06:54 AM
The Tuono is way sharper in the handling department and makes my Trumpet feel a bit heavy.

You shouldn't be playing one while riding...it's not safe and will feel heavy cos you're holding it with one hand...:p:

ARAIHEAD
05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
You shouldn't be playing one while riding...it's not safe and will feel heavy cos you're holding it with one hand...:p:

Excuse me, could you please refrain from making your silly little remarks on this technical thread? :rolleyes::lame::p:

windy
05-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Excuse me, could you please refrain from making your silly little remarks on this technical thread? :rolleyes::lame::p:

Am I getting in your way....:confused:

ARAIHEAD
05-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Am I getting in your way....:confused:

Well actually Martin, sorry i mean windy, i was just about to get embroiled in this riveting thread about trumpets but after your rude,trivial remarks, i will not be adding any of my vast experience after all.:rolleyes::p:

Batfastard
05-06-2010, 07:36 AM
what, pass up a chance to blow yer own?

Tifa
05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Well actually Martin, sorry i mean windy, i was just about to get embroiled in this riveting thread about trumpets but after your rude,trivial remarks, i will not be adding any of my vast experience after all.:rolleyes::p:
tch!...gutted here!...and we were just waiting for your virtuoso fiddle performance... :p:

windy
05-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Looking for contrast/compare information from anyone who has owned both the latest gen Tuono and Speed Triple.

In additon to the bike's characteristics, I'd like to know about significant issues with both bikes.

Thanks

Can we please get back the the question at hand....? Thank you.

I've ridden a mates speed triple a few times on our fave roads and never been tempted to swap. Always nice to get back on the T...:worship:

windy

ARAIHEAD
05-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Can we please get back the the question at hand....? Thank you.
windy

Yer cheeky twat! it was yerself what made the digression!! :rolleyes:

BrummyMax
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Ignore the rabble and just buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280499818074&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123

rayrey
05-06-2010, 09:30 AM
I've ridden my friends 08 speed triple and its a nice ride with good power alot smoother than the T. The power is close, the position is alittle more forward with a bit more leg room, but the seat kind of holds you in one position and does not let you move around as easily. I would say its a better day to day bike but has not the soul of the Tuono

roughrider1
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I sold a 1050 Speed Triple in March 09 to buy my Tuono R. I track day them both, and also took the Triumph for a long haul to the south of Spain. Its a tough choice! I preferred the handling of the Triumph, but i'm working hard on improving the Tuono. The Triumph engine is great at any revs, and is smoother. Straight line performance is comparable. The brakes on both bikes are awesome! The Triumph was easier on fuel. The Tuono seat is better on a long run. I had a Remus on the Triumph, which had a mellow sound. Got Beowulf stubbies on the T, and they sound the best!!
Never had a hint of trouble from the Triumph, and so far so good on the T. So as i said, its a tough choice. I'd go off the price!
Best of luck.......

topsyt
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I started with a list of 9 bikes, and down to mostly 2 now, S3 and Tuono. I sat on the Tuono, going to try to get to a S3 this weekend. It will depend on fit (I've got a 36" inseam) and secondary price, assuming I can sell my VTX.

harry monk
05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Tis a hard choise. I've riden the trumpet and enjoyed it, but think the T does have more soul. Pal of mine had the 955 and had many problems with it, but the 1050 seems more reliable.
Riding both is the only way to decide, both have pros and cons

topsyt
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Any significant issues with the S3?

Does the Tuono have any other issues than the rear brake?

windy
05-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Does the Tuono have any other issues than the rear brake?

Yes, the T gets in to your head and makes you spend money on it that you should be spending on the wife, girlfriend, err boyfriend..:rolleyes: then they get annoyed and won't speak to you so you have to go and ride the bike which costs money because you have to pay for petrol, tyres, chain & Sprockes etc then they won't speak to you.....well, you get the picture.

Other than this minor issue I've had over 5 years trouble free Tuono ownership Gen1 and Gen11.

:peace:windy

Batfastard
05-07-2010, 02:25 AM
:plus:

What Windy said

the only way to prevent this trouble is buy the wife a Tuono as well :)

Tifa
05-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I'd quite like a Speed Triple.....I really would...but I can't quite get my head around owning a brand spanking new bike with a headlight configuration that looks like it's been cobbled together in Araiheads shed...

The Tuono just looks right from all angles...

:peace:

ARAIHEAD
05-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Yes, the T gets in to your head and makes you spend money on it that you should be spending on the wife, girlfriend, err boyfriend..:rolleyes: then they get annoyed and won't speak to you so you have to go and ride the bike which costs money because you have to pay for petrol, tyres, chain & Sprockes etc then they won't speak to you.....well, you get the picture.

Other than this minor issue I've had over 5 years trouble free Tuono ownership Gen1 and Gen11.

:peace:windy

Martin, sorry i mean windy, what actually are SPROCKES cos i've not had to replace mine, whatever they are!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::lame::p:

ARAIHEAD
05-07-2010, 06:08 AM
I'd quite like a Speed Triple.....I really would...but I can't quite get my head around owning a brand spanking new bike with a headlight configuration that looks like it's been cobbled together in Araiheads shed...

The Tuono just looks right from all angles...

Excuse me, i have a nice shed!!!:bitchslap

windy
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Martin, sorry i mean windy, what actually are SPROCKES cos i've not had to replace mine, whatever they are!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::lame::p:

It's nice to know you pay such close attention to my every word....a bit wierd though...

ARAIHEAD
05-07-2010, 06:56 AM
It's nice to know you pay such close attention to my every word....a bit wierd though...

So what actually are SPROCKES then??????????:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

Batfastard
05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
what's a Ba ngwall?

windy
05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Excuse me, i have a nice shed!!!:bitchslap

Which are we talking about? the wooden one in the back yard or the silver one parked out front....:confused:

ARAIHEAD
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Which are we talking about? the wooden one in the back yard or the silver one parked out front....:confused:

Just to clarify, are you being cheeky?:rolleyes:

ARAIHEAD
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
what's a Ba ngwall?

Its something that Gordon Brown should be hitting his head on!!:rolleyes:

windy
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Just to clarify, are you being cheeky?:rolleyes:

Just to clarify...no I'm not...:peace:

MaKuono
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM

ehehehe... u guys kill me with all this technical stuff. I also think that SP ROcks big time. :crowbar:

APRILIABILL
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I went out one day, bound and determined to buy a bike, went to Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Triumph, couldn't find anything that fit. I loved the look of the speed triple.

I'm 5'10" short arms and legs, and about 25lbs. overweight (218-220lbs) with degenritive arthritis. The triple was too tall, the rest of the bikes we're to skinny, tank was wrong, bars too low, pegs too high, wheel base too short or too long, it just went on forever, couldn't find anything. Thought I was going to end up with the Harley XR1200. Then it got to the point I was trying to find an old Yamaha XS or Suzuki GS 850 OR 1100G, I was just fed up.

It has been a couple decades since I've ridden these types of bikes, and lots have changed. I actually went to buy a GT1000 Ducati, luckily it had issues, and the dealer wouldn't sack up and take care of them, I was pissed and ready to give up, then the wife comes flying out of the shop and drags me in to see this Tuono? APRILIA, TUONO...APRIL THUNDER....how cool is that?

I sat on it, big seat, comfortable, big Italian ass, bars where i need them, and never ending torque. All the way home, I had buyers remorse, did i just plop down 8k for a grenade? I knew nothing about Aprilia's, looked down and was doing 110+ m.p.h. backed out and went home. Jumped on the internet to find, I bought a greatly respected bike, with what looks to be a bullet proof engine.

I've ridden Buells, Trumps, GSXR, CBR, pretty much all of them. You really can't buy a bad bike these days, but nothing fits like my "APRIL" wife named her.

I can definately see why people like other bikes, Hell! I have Harley's, but it looks like i've found something that feels like it was built for me.... I rode her this a.m. to work, some jackass (in a Lexus) tried to pass me on a reduced radius curve on ramp, I dropped a gear, leaned and made him a spec in my rearview. I love this bike....

Antoine
07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I have an 08 S3 but am planing to swap it for a Tuono Factory. The S3 is a great bike in most respects and has given me no trouble so far. But after riding my friend's Colin Edwards Replica Mille w/Ohlins front and back I've been spoiled. The S3 just doesn't feel near as planted. And BTW, the S3's rear brake is also next to useless.

SoulDaddy
07-11-2010, 12:36 AM
I had an '04 red S3, a beautiful looking bike, for 3 weeks. After the 1st week I was surprised at how Honda-ish (read: boring) it was. Sounded like a diesel when idling, too.

If they had the grunt that you'd think they would from their looks they'd be smokin'.

From a reliability standpoint they're rock solid but no more so than the apes. I'd say the aprilias are a definitely couple notches up as far as build quality goes overall, and the limeys are not as easy to work on imho.

Antoine
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Getting very close to pulling the pin on an 08 Tuono Factory. Beautiful white 08 S3 is up for sale

Omen
08-05-2010, 02:00 AM
:plus:

What Windy said

the only way to prevent this trouble is buy the wife a Tuono as well :)

Couldn't agree more with le batfastard, got my girl friend to buy herself a Street Triple. Now the world is a better place for having the choice of riding three quality bikes. :banana:

BikerBen
08-06-2010, 07:12 AM
My girlfriend has an 02 Speed Triple in nuclear red (pink) and I have an 03 Tuono.

To compare the 2 I'd say that the S3 is more comfortable but is a lot heavier and seems to be built more down to a budget, the Tuono feels like it has twice the power, half the weight but is very uncomfortable after an hour in the saddle.

The S3 shows its road bike roots wheras the Tuono feels like a thoro-bred in comparison. Looks wise the S3 is closer to the true streetfighter as it is naked, the Tuono has a naff fairing cobbled on the front so could be classed as 1/3 faired.

Ride them both but I'd be surprised at anyone choosing the S3 over the Tuono.

buckwheat
09-11-2010, 03:44 AM
The old Speed Triple is also quite rewarding to ride hard, just doesn't require as much finess as the Tuono.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/mrtstelly/image.jpg

SoulDaddy
09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Ooh, nice T. How do the MIVVs sound with the db killers in 'em?

Antoine
09-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Got my Tuono Factory now and have been riding it and the S3 for comparison.
Must say the T's (Ohlins) suspension is far superior, and the bike feels like it's on rails. The S3's front brake is better, much to my surprise, but the front end allows much more dive during hard stops. Rear brakes on both are less than great. The S3's motor is smooth like a turbine, but the V-twin has character that the triple lacks. Actual power seems about the same.

buckwheat
09-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Ooh, nice T. How do the MIVVs sound with the db killers in 'em?

Thanks...& still loud enough!

Got my Tuono Factory now and have been riding it and the S3 for comparison.
Must say the T's (Ohlins) suspension is far superior, and the bike feels like it's on rails. The S3's front brake is better, much to my surprise, but the front end allows much more dive during hard stops. Rear brakes on both are less than great. The S3's motor is smooth like a turbine, but the V-twin has character that the triple lacks. Actual power seems about the same.

Agreement on better Triumph front brake control & feel, but the power is nowhere close in my case.

Antoine
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
So Buckwheat, please elaborate on the power issue. Which is stronger in your opinion? What year S3 are we talking about? BTW, I want MIVVs on my new Tuono. Do you have Map 2? How does it run???

buckwheat
09-13-2010, 12:07 AM
My Speed Triple is a '96 model with Alcon 6-piston calipers (with ceramic pistons). It dyno-ed at 93hp, so less "power" than my '07.5 Tuono...which does have the the map 2 as well as the air box mod. The Tuono runs absolutely perfectly...spot-on fuel injection at any rpm and way more torque (& horsepower) everywhere compared to the '96 Triumph.

ttauer
10-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I looked like a circus bear on a mini bike when I had the triple. I miss the sound of the triple (two brothers can) and the looks I got from cruisers when they realized my badass bike was a truimph. The T is much more refined. Fits a guy of 6'3" better. Smoother suspension. Feels faster. Higher quality everything. I miss the attitude of the triumph though.

Antoine
10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
The S3's geometry requires much heavier steering inputs than the TF, especially counter steer. Suspension on the TF is vastly superior to the S3, which you would expect from Ohlins. The S3 can seem downright dangerous on bumpy mountain roads, whereas the TF is completely stable and confidence inspiring. If anything the front brake on the 08 S3 is too strong, very easy to lock up in any kind of emergency stop, while the TF's seem close to perfect. The S3's motor is much more relaxed, like surfing on a wave of torque. The TF likes to stay in the power band, requiring more shifting, even with the 15/42 gearing, but power seems about the same for both. The rear brake on both bikes is virtually useless. I suppose you could add an Ohlins rear shock and rebuild the S3's front end and come up with a much better set-up than stock, but that might not prove totally satisfying either. I would say that the TF comes out the way-ahead winner. It's much more involving and exciting to ride, and would be a much better track bike as well.

Shovelstrokeed
10-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't own an S3 but do have both an '07 Tuono Factory and an '08 Sprint ST (same motor as the S3, different front end). The Triumph is going to require an Ohlins rear shock and some work on the fork cartridge to come even close to the Tuono in terms of suspension sophistication. Also, the S3 front brake suffers from over sensitivity, power is about the same between them but the Tuono modulates a bit better. Some may find the Tuono to be a less smooth and sophisticated motor than the Triumph, no such thing in my case. I generally keep most of my bikes on the boil a bit, never under 4K RPM in town and rarely under 5K on the highway. I find the Tuono to be equally smooth, just different. The Aprilia does make a bit more power which is really noticeable in an 80-100 mph roll on in top gear. Friend has an S3 with the fly screen and I find that my Tuono is much better at high speed cruise in terms of wind management. To be fair though, I have fitted Ducati Streetfighter bars to mine which change the riding position quite a bit.

No question on who wins the Bling award, the Tuono, in Factory livery, just draws folks everywhere it goes.