PDA

View Full Version : california street legal rs250 value

edya
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
what is the value of '96 of california street legal rs250 with gsxr forks and low compression (need rebuild)? 27000 km on the clock. looking to see if it's worth selling or keeping and do a rebuild.

soarertt
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Whatever you want to ask if the title is clean. If the bike is nice, i wouldn't take less then 10k.

If it's a vin swap or the paperwork isn't correct (titled as a 1985 or whatever, wrong vin on title, wrong model, etc)... it's worthless.

eddie v twin
04-24-2010, 03:23 PM
You should pay my air fare and I'll come over and rebuild it for you , pleeeeeeease , Cali- forin I A ummm all that sun

Eddie ( The JD made me do it )

lt1bird
04-25-2010, 07:22 PM
If its clean...street title(vin swap etc..... no vin swap) needing a rebuild is the big issue. If it runs fine but a bit low on compression its worth $4-5k. Running perfect, about $6-7K depending on how clean it is.... just my opinion....rs owners looking for street use will live with VIN issues...not a biggy if its registerd as a rsv etc... long as the VIN plate matches the registration...

soofle616
04-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Keep it and do the rebuild (gonna cost you a couple hundred in parts). If you still don't want it after that then sell it. I'm with bird on the price range. It may seem silly that a couple hundred bucks worth of parts translates into a couple grand in selling price but ask yourself, if you were a buyer looking at two otherwise identical bikes, would you pay the same price for a bike that runs great as one that runs poorly? As a potential buyer you don't know if it's just in need of a top end or a crank up rebuild or a whole damn motor. That level of risk easily translates into a big price difference.

lt1bird
04-26-2010, 05:59 AM
soof nailed it..... fix it then sell it or keep it...you will get top dollar that way.

agabinet
04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
You should pay my air fare and I'll come over and rebuild it for you , pleeeeeeease , Cali- forin I A ummm all that sun

Eddie ( The JD made me do it )

Do not let this man rebuild your bike! He is a serial rebuiler. It's true, he has much experience rebuilding his own bike . . . repeatedly and frequently . . . what does that tell you about his rebuilding prowess?;-) Sorry E, couldn't resist. Of course, I rebuild them, but then refuse to ride them, so who knows about my skill?

Ides
04-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Soof is pretty much spot on. If I were a buyer, I'd want to know how many miles are on the top-end (miles on f/r cylinders/heads) and miles on the bottom end. RS250s are fairly reliable in street-use, but race/track-only will lower the intervals between changes/rebuilds.

FYI, depending on where you RS250 originated, the bike may already have a 17VIN--much less headache when going into the DMV.

soarertt
04-28-2010, 10:07 AM
My RGV is very reliable on the street, but on long highway runs I tend to catch the mufflers on fire. :devil:

mcludd
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Do not let this man rebuild your bike! He is a serial rebuiler. It's true, he has much experience rebuilding his own bike . . . repeatedly and frequently . . . what does that tell you about his rebuilding prowess?;-) Sorry E, couldn't resist. Of course, I rebuild them, but then refuse to ride them, so who knows about my skill?

Eddies bike has velcro fastners on the engine covers it comes apart so often lucky you are on a different continent really

grendels_arm
04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Your bike is only worth $100 max. But I'll give you $101 cash in hand.

razorbak
05-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I own the same bike picked it up in florida about 98 love the bike would never sell it but they sell alot higher than a cup bike converted because of the 17 digit vin of course in the u.s. They can be easilytitled in any state without emission laws. They are an older version pre 98 but not alot of differences. I payed 8500 hundred for mine in 98 and i see them go really fast of ebay from 7000 to 10000 depending on the shape of the bike the converted cups go around 6000 to 7000 but alot of difference there. Dont know what you are getting in a converted bike alot of wiring changes and the cost to convert a cup is anywhere from 1500 to 2000 depending on what changes you rigg. Good luck with the bike but i have a 02 cup and the 96 street version would never sell either