PDA

View Full Version : RSVR shock on a Tuono

erspamer
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Has anyone fitted the sachs shock with the piggyback and adjustable compression/rebound dampening from a RSV on a 2008 tuono? Any improvements?

JAndrewG
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
It's supposed to be a good upgrade, though I haven't ridden a Tuono to know. I just sold the take-off Sachs off my leftover '08 RSVR to a guy in Seattle that had just bought a new Tuono R. Don't know if he's on here or not to give you an opinion...

BillG1
04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Yep, I've done that on a 2008 Tuono.
The stocker had no rebound adjustment as I recall. Sort of wallowy (but cushy for just cruisin' around). I used to run wide on corner exits.

I put on the RSVR shock (purchased from a forum member), and adjusted it for my riding style. Great handling in the canyons now. I don't want for an Ohlins any more. I'm not a "track guy" so it works just fine for me.

Fantastic upgrade for the cost!

erspamer
04-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Cool, I just got one of ebay from an 08 RSV with 3800 on the clock for $50, claims to be in perfect condition, we will see...

tuono07
04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Nice find. I've been looking for one like that since i cant afford an Ohlins or Penske ( and dont really need it). If you see another, let me know.

JAndrewG
04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
^^^^ KWS shows that they have one more Sachs RSVR shock left over from their Daytona Sportbike program last year. 0 miles, $50...

http://www.kwsmotorsports.com/specials.htm

ResoundingYes
04-25-2010, 12:24 PM
I was the guy that bought JAndrewG's shock. It was a worthwhile upgrade. At first, it didn't seem quite right but it just wasn't setup correctly. I went to KFG Racing in Kent, Wa and Barry setup the suspension for me. After that, the bike handles amazing. Here's what I had to change (I'm 180 lbs):

- front fork raised 3 bars
- less front preload (front was too stiff)
- rear ride height raised 4mm
- more rear preload (rear was too soft)
- front/rear compression/rebound damping set accordingly (not sure on the specifics here)

Now the bike corners and handles like it's on rails. It also has much better feel on the freeway: the front wheel doesn't feel like it's wobbling anymore.

The only thing I'd do differently is buy a new spring for the rear shock before having it installed. The rear springs appear to be much too soft for my slender 180lbs.

svmtbman
04-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I just ordered the RSVR shock from KWS fro $50 and it's being shipped out today (new and never used). (thanks JAndrewG)

Do these shocks allow for ride height adjustment at all? Does anyone know what weight the stock spring is good for? I weigh around 210 so I'm wondering if the aftermarket spring that AF1 sells might be a wise investment before installing the new shock.

JAndrewG
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I was the guy that bought JAndrewG's shock. It was a worthwhile upgrade. At first, it didn't seem quite right but it just wasn't setup correctly. I went to KFG Racing in Kent, Wa and Barry setup the suspension for me. After that, the bike handles amazing. Here's what I had to change (I'm 180 lbs):

- front fork raised 3 bars
- less front preload (front was too stiff)
- rear ride height raised 4mm
- more rear preload (rear was too soft)
- front/rear compression/rebound damping set accordingly (not sure on the specifics here)

Now the bike corners and handles like it's on rails. It also has much better feel on the freeway: the front wheel doesn't feel like it's wobbling anymore.

The only thing I'd do differently is buy a new spring for the rear shock before having it installed. The rear springs appear to be much too soft for my slender 180lbs.

Hey cool, glad to see you here, and glad the shock worked out. BTW, I priced it based on what KWS wanted for theirs. Hey, it was going to sit in my garage anyway, why not let somebody put it to good use? :)

I just ordered the RSVR shock from KWS fro $50 and it's being shipped out today (new and never used). (thanks JAndrewG)

Do these shocks allow for ride height adjustment at all? Does anyone know what weight the stock spring is good for? I weigh around 210 so I'm wondering if the aftermarket spring that AF1 sells might be a wise investment before installing the new shock.

Yes they do have ride height adjustment. I'm about 190 before gear, and was able to get my old RSVR set up pretty well with the stock spring. Still, it's not really the best spring for my weight, or yours at 210. Wouldn't be a bad idea, and might me something you'd wish you had done later.

Glad you picked it up. I think it was their last one.

danman
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Mounted my old '01 RSV Sach's shock into an '07 Tuono, had to pull the bottom eyelets spacer out of the newer model and press them into the older unit and it worked just fine. Heard back from the guy after a track day and he was absolutely pleased with the handling on the track and on the street. The older unit is a little longer so it does bring the rear end up...which also helps handling.

APRILIABILL
04-28-2010, 04:59 PM

ah dude, you suck, they told me i was second in line, that if it didn't go, they'd contact me.

good luck, i hope it's a great unit. i'm sure i'll find another..

svmtbman
04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Sorry man, it was such a good deal for a new one I could not pass it up!

APRILIABILL
04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Sorry man, it was such a good deal for a new one I could not pass it up!

no worry, i should have spent less time thinking about it, and more time dialing the phone.....

svmtbman
05-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Got it installed a little while ago, took all of 15 minutes!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/svmtbman/Mobile%20uploads/5db1a921.jpg?t=1272749592

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/svmtbman/Mobile%20uploads/8b4cdb4f.jpg?t=1272749653

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/svmtbman/Mobile%20uploads/1eeae56f.jpg?t=1272749684

R3dJok3r
05-01-2010, 05:26 PM
^^^ That bike is too clean, go throw some road grime on that bad boy.

tuono07
05-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Got it installed a little while ago, took all of 15 minutes!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/svmtbman/Mobile%20uploads/5db1a921.jpg?t=1272749592

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/svmtbman/Mobile%20uploads/8b4cdb4f.jpg?t=1272749653

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/svmtbman/Mobile%20uploads/1eeae56f.jpg?t=1272749684

What is involved in the swap? I just bought one myself and plan to install next weekend.

tuono07
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Also, anyone know what the spring rate is on the stock 09 sachs? If so what is it set up for weight wise?

svmtbman
05-01-2010, 07:13 PM
It's just the top and bottom bolt, there are really easy to get to. I took a floor jack and with the bike on the side stand lifted up the right side just enough to take the load off the rear shock, pulled out the bolts, and the shock will lift right out on the left side of the bike. Put the RSVR shock in the same way. I raised the rear a couple of turns before installing, we'll see how that works once I get to ride it tomorrow.

svmtbman
05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Also, anyone know what the spring rate is on the stock 09 sachs? If so what is it set up for weight wise?

Probably the same spring rate we have on our stock shock, I see where AF1 has stiffer springs for this shock so it will be easy to change if necessary.

erspamer
05-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I put one on my 08 R, weigh 190 and the spring is just about right.

tuono07
05-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I put one on my 08 R, weigh 190 and the spring is just about right.

Well there's my reason to lose some weight!!!

tuono07
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
It's just the top and bottom bolt, there are really easy to get to. I took a floor jack and with the bike on the side stand lifted up the right side just enough to take the load off the rear shock, pulled out the bolts, and the shock will lift right out on the left side of the bike. Put the RSVR shock in the same way. I raised the rear a couple of turns before installing, we'll see how that works once I get to ride it tomorrow.

Where did you place the jack?

svmtbman
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
On the frame below the brake leaver, it doesn't take much to unload the weight on the shock.

erspamer
05-02-2010, 07:01 AM
swingarm pivot stand works well

2wheeljunkie
05-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Don't adjust the ride height to high. The bottom eyelet will hit the suspension pivot. ( if thats what its called ) Easy to see if you adjust the ride height to long. My thinking is you'll break the pivot with suspension movement.

tuono07
05-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the tips.

svmtbman
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't adjust the ride height to high. The bottom eyelet will hit the suspension pivot. ( if thats what its called ) Easy to see if you adjust the ride height to long. My thinking is you'll break the pivot with suspension movement.

Thanks for the tip, I don't believe I have anything touching but will check this when I get home. Got to ride yesterday and the shock feels great. I still need to raise the front forks a little to get the bike to turn like I want but the rear feels planted now much better than with the stock shock.

erspamer
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Where did you guys get the starting point or baseline dampening settings as the ones in the Tuono manual no longer apply and what did you set them at?

svmtbman
05-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Per the guy at KWS Motorsports, I used the Sport Rider magazine settings for the rear shock on the RSVR they tested.

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension/146_suggested_suspension_settings/index.html

erspamer
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
That's where I have mine set too, seems to be a good starting point. Not sure where I found those setting but thanks much.

tuono07
05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
That's what I'm going to use also!!

tuono07
05-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm getting ready to put the shock on and went to the Sport Rider page. I dont see anything on the later RSV that my shock came off? Are you guy's setting it to the Tuono settings? I'm lost when it comes to suspensions.

svmtbman
05-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I went 1.75 out from full stiff on compression (top adjustment) and 17 clicks out from full stiff on rebound (bottom ring adjustment). I also raised the height by two full turns. Hope this helps. Start there and play with it as you ride.

tuono07
05-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Your right! 15 min and all done. Now I need to try it out!!

tuono07
05-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Ok I took the T out Friday for about 250 miles with the new RSV shock. The bike feels much more planted in the turns, doesnt give that bouncing feeeling it used to. I cant get over the feeling that I'm sitting lower on the bike? I didnt adjust the ride height! Did you guys add a little lift in the back end when you installed?

svmtbman
05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Have you set your sag yet? I noticed that the stock preload setting on the rsvr shock is much less than where the stock setting was for the stock shock. Once I got the preload adjusted correctly it made the bike feel "right". I also did increase the length by 2 full turns but as it comes the eye-to-eye is the same as the stock shock. Increasing the length allowed me to only need to raise the forks to the second ring to make the bike turn like I wanted it to.