PDA

View Full Version : Fogging yes, but now a crack !!!!

Kwondo
04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I've had a crack appear on the lens and no idea how it got there ?? one minute it was ok the next its there ?

Anyway as you all know the cost of a replacment unit is around 750 :WTF: i dont want to be paying that and even on ebay they seem to start at 150 .

All i need is the plastic lens, the clock work fine apart from a bit of fogging,i'm told that you cannot buy just a lens ? i've looked on ebay with no joy.

Any ideas ? or words of advice ?

BTW here's a picture of the crack

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/stufreck/100_0648.jpg

ant66ant
04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Other small models in Aprilias range use the same style of clocks. I just bought a nearly new set for a sport city on ebay for 10. I want to see if the lens is the same when it arrives. I suspect it will be as the case looks the same to me.

GreaseSnake
04-17-2010, 04:22 PM
And Moto Guppi too =) So there is quite a few options on the market =)

Rainman
04-17-2010, 06:37 PM
I have exactly the same issue, but the crack is on the bottom left. Im going to take it apart anyway to try the fogging fix, and was considering trying to seal the crack, although that might be a crappy idea. If I find any cheap options, I'll post here. Best bet is a defective set of gauges selling for cheap somewhere, but when and where, who knows.

Kwondo
04-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Thanks for your input at least you have given me a bit of hope,im off to search ebay now.

Tifa
04-18-2010, 02:52 AM
The lenses are as brittle as shit....and I have cracked two up to now.
If DO you manage to get a s/hand lens with a few scratches, remember they can be easily polished out with household metal polish...(brasso)

Kwondo
04-18-2010, 02:55 AM
The lenses are as brittle as shit....and I have cracked two up to now.
If DO you manage to get a s/hand lens with a few scratches, remember they can be easily polished out with household metal polish...(brasso)

ahh the good old brasso, cheers for the tip.

Kwondo
04-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Other small models in Aprilias range use the same style of clocks. I just bought a nearly new set for a sport city on ebay for 10. I want to see if the lens is the same when it arrives. I suspect it will be as the case looks the same to me.

I've just won one on ebay lets hope it fits !

harry monk
04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Keep us informed mate.

Rainman
04-18-2010, 05:37 PM
excellent, which bike did it come off? I need to get one too

I opened my gauges up last night to find the situation was even worse under the black casing. I just went crazy with the silicone, sealed everything up, including the back opening where it connects. Was washing it in direct sunlight today, no fogging so far.

Kwondo
04-19-2010, 12:55 PM
i got the same one as ant66ant its from a aprillia sport city scooter !!!!! paid 10 for it looks the same but i'll keep my fingers crossed that it will fit but remember i only want the plastic lens, as soon as i know i will post up.

Kwondo
05-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Well i finally got round to fiiting the new lens and i can confirm that the aprillia sport city 125 scooter lens fits the tuono !!! no crack for me now.

Cheers to all that helped.

ant66ant
05-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Apologies for not, posting sooner. I did take the dash apart but forgot to post. Glad you have saved a few .

Pic Sport City dash:

ps. the lcd inside is different the Tuono one so no use as a replacement.

Tifa
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
great fix guys...that's a useful bit of info...!!

but what about the back cover...? how is it vented?

can you put up a pic? please..:)

Kwondo
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
great fix guys...that's a useful bit of info...!!

but what about the back cover...? how is it vented?

can you put up a pic? please..:)

i can post a pic but theres not much to see tbh ! it has two tiny vertical holes about 3mm long by .5mm wide not muct to get excited about.

Still want a pic ?

ant66ant
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
The rear of the Sport city dash looks just the same as the Mk1 Tuono dash, same casing I believe, but with only half of the multi connector the grommet covers the other half.