PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Frame slider Bolt warning!!

pilotw98
04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Over the weekend, I was performing an oil change on my 07 Tuono when I noticed something was off. The main frame bolt for my woodcraft frame slider had rust on it!! The frame sliders went on last season and the Tuono has been in the rain once or twice since then. I pulled the bolt and sure enough there was rust on the threads and shaft. I have replaced both bolts with a Stainless Steel alternative but I figured I would let everyone know to check there's out for rust. I couldn't believe what had happened in under a year. I can take pictures if you want to see how they look.

These are the black engine bolts not the silver small bolts

tuono07
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Same thing on mine!! Need to replace I guess.

brandontx
04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Mine rusted after only a couple months. Woodcraft said they would replace them but they would just rust in a couple of months anyway.

assdragger
04-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I live in south Florida wherw the humidity is high. It only took a couple of months before mine rusted . I removed the bolts cleaned them up and painted with high temp black epoxy . let dry about 24 hrs then reinstalled. They are still rust free after 2 + years. After riding in the rain or after a wash, make sur you dry the bike thoroughly to avoid water sitting in the nooks and crannies. I use a bike blow drier or even a leaf blower would work .

twin4me
04-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Mine rusted as well...

Batfastard
04-15-2010, 05:36 AM
No rust on the R&G's :)

WoodcraftCFM
06-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey all....I'm not a real forum poster, but I had this brought to my attention and thought I would post at least one reply. We had someone bring this to our attention the first time a couple months ago. We were not happy about it. We are not perfect, but when there is a problem we always proactively go after it. After confirming this information we replaced all of the exposed bolts with nice zinc plated hardware that will solve the problem. All of the new kits are now set up this way.

If any of you that have this problem would like to have your older hardware replaced, Woodcraft is happy to do so free of charge. Simply give us a call at 978 297 2977 or email us at info@woodcraft-cfm.com and we are more than happy to take care of you.

Eric Wood
President
Woodcraft Technologies, Inc.
www.woodcraft-cfm.com

wakeboredb
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey guys, I e-mailed Woodcraft to see if the rust problem has been fixed, and they indicate that it has been. Here's the response I received:

Actually, we remedied the problem very soon after we heard about it. We had to special order in some Zinc bolts, but they have arrived and are now standard on all of the kits. If I recall correctly, there is only one bolt that is exposed to the air on each side and is rusting. If anyone would like to have the bolts replaced, they can simply give us a call or drop us an email and we will be happy to send them out a new set free of charge.

Thanks,

Eric Wood
President
Woodcraft Technologies, Inc
105 Baldwinville Rd
Winchendon, MA 01475
978-297-2977
Fax 978-297-2922
www.woodcraft-cfm.com

catch2otwo
06-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice to see a company stand behind their mistake. Good on them

DustinEarnhardt
06-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Agreed. Its hard to find good customer service these days.

TroyBoy30
06-17-2010, 12:46 PM
heres the response I got

We'll get you taken care of.

Thanks,

Eric Wood
President
Woodcraft Technologies, Inc
105 Baldwinville Rd
Winchendon, MA 01475
978-297-2977
Fax 978-297-2922
www.woodcraft-cfm.com

Nolv4Ho
06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
That kind of service makes me want to buy from them.
Kudos Woodcraft.

wrx_02
06-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Great customer service! Wonder if they are aware of the Frames breaking cause of the bolt pattern in the frame sliders. I assume this issue is as bad with the Tuono's as it is with the RSVR's?

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115595&highlight=Frame+Slider+Broken

Looks like some of the pictures were removed :confused: Basically it punched a hole in the frame.

wakeboredb
06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Great customer service! Wonder if they are aware of the Frames breaking cause of the bolt pattern in the frame sliders.

I thought about that, but didn't bother bringing it up with them because it seems like more of a flaw with Aprilia's product than Woodcrafts. You might try asking over in the other thread where it's being discussed, it is an interesting question.

Neurot
06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Anybody have the shorter (40mm) M10X1.25 bolt rust on them? I've looked around and the black oxide is the only finish I can find for these suckers. I know the puck will likely seal out moisture but I wish I could replace all the hardware with stainless. I'm not sure why they went with a fine thread?

wrx_02
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I thought about that, but didn't bother bringing it up with them because it seems like more of a flaw with Aprilia's product than Woodcrafts. You might try asking over in the other thread where it's being discussed, it is an interesting question.

Actually Woodcrafts are the only ones I have seen hurting the frames. I think in most cases they are fine but every so often there is an issue. It is cause of the smaller bolt they used to mount them.

I have not seen issue with the R&G's for example. I am not trying to be rude but hope that they know of this issue and want to fix it.

Neurot
06-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Actually Woodcrafts are the only ones I have seen hurting the frames. I think in most cases they are fine but every so often there is an issue. It is cause of the smaller bolt they used to mount them.

I have not seen issue with the R&G's for example. I am not trying to be rude but hope that they know of this issue and want to fix it.

If R&G uses the same mounting method I don't see how there is much difference? If you put enough force into that threaded boss its going to break.

wrx_02
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
If R&G uses the same mounting method I don't see how there is much difference? If you put enough force into that threaded boss its going to break.

The R&G use two the 10mm motor mount bolts on each side. Woodcraft uses a 10mm and 8mm.

Read this:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185505&highlight=Woodcraft+Frame+Slider&page=3

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176472

Hawk05
06-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Eric is the man. I have been fortunate enough to spend time with him at several Penguin days at NHMS and he is just a class act. Always willing to help, always there to answer a question, just a great person. His brother is the same way, I don't think anyone would ever have to worry about Woodcraft solving a legitimate issue.