PDA

View Full Version : derestriction

holty87
03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
hello all! this is my first post so here goes. im 16and live in the uk and have owned a aprilia sr50 ditech since july last year. i have been riding with the restrictors on and am getting annoyed with other moped riders tearing past me at the end of college. so today i decided 2 remove the restrictors and whoop all there asses!!
I found an article about reomving the variator washer and decided this was the best way to start, after removing the variator i found that i couldnt see the washer anywere!!
can someone please help me. i dont want to be riding around at 35mph any more!!
also how much extra speed does a new exhaust and rollers usually add on?

thanks in advance any one who replys

NATO-ohjus
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM
well, when you remove that variator cover, on the left side is the variator side. Then you remove the bolt and that cooler plate and after that you should see the washer. If you dont see it, it has been worn away. But tehn your speed should be like almost 50mph (60mph on speedo)

holty87
03-01-2004, 04:06 PM
i removed the cover, i then took the main bolt out. then the first cover came off and i couldnt see any washer so i took the second piece which contains rollers and finally the last gear at the back and there was no washer insight!!! and i still only go 35mph! does this mean that the only restriction is in the ecu??
thanks

phidauex
03-01-2004, 07:26 PM
This means the washer is already gone, either already removed, or worn away. You should get your ECU derestricted at the dealer. You might also consider putting in lighter weights, something in the 8.5g range. Since you already know how to get into the variator, changing weights wont' be a problem for you.

peace,
sam

ditechspain
03-01-2004, 09:32 PM
There are, as you will find ou if you do a search on the archive and old messaes for this site, 2 ways of restricting the variator on a Ditech. If you can access the twist n go mags from about August and September 2003 you will find the photos.

On the later machnes they do not use a washer but instead a wavy plate that fits between the two variator parts around the outside of the variator.

In other words the earlier restriction is round the cranskshaft and the newer is apparently fitted to the outside of the crank. However from what I understand from the posts if you have the later machine, emoving the outer washer is not as effective as rem9oving the washer from the earlier machines.

If thiws does not do what you want, then you ahve to fit a malossie/ polini

ditechspain
03-02-2004, 01:28 AM
sorry, meant to say that if you couldn't derestrict fully you would have to change to a variator by malossi etc.

phidauex
03-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Yes, I suppose that could be true... What year is your ditech, holty? (You should get used to giving that information when posting, it can help, even when you might not realize that it makes a difference).

holty87
03-02-2004, 06:24 AM
i own the 03 model race rep. so is the only restriction in the ecu or is there one in the crankshaft??
i really want to derestrict at asap!!

thanks

ditechspain
03-02-2004, 07:09 AM
two restrictions, ecu and variator. also the motor changed to piaggio in 2003 and comments on this post refer to aprilia motor.

holty87
03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
good news, i found the restrictor in the variator it is the plate that is behind the rollers, i removed it this morning and can now hit 55mph. this beats most the other riders at college already. only problem is that my acceleration has gone shit. will new rollers fix the problem?