PDA

View Full Version : Tuono Problem...Any Suggestions?

cmh09
04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey guys, I have an 07 Tuono and my bike caught a ride home in the back of the truck today. As some of you probably know, this is NO FUN and I want it fixed. After riding for a few hours, the bike started cutting out. I heard some backfiring and my dad (who was riding behind me) said he could smell gas like it was running lean. A couple of times when it died I swear I saw the gauges go blank which to me seems like an electrical problem. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems before I mess with taking it to the dealer. I could troubleshoot it myself but I think it is still under warranty(need to verify since I bought it used) so I figured I would let them deal with it if it gets to be a huge pain.

Thanks

doozerdave
04-04-2010, 07:40 PM
This sounds very similar to how my bike behaved a few weeks ago when the stator fried. Check your battery. If it's low or dead that would indicate that the charging system is failing (as it was with mine).

dallascat
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
cmh09, not sure where you live in DFW, but RPMcycle is open on Monday... you can call them up and check if your bike is still under warranty. If closer to FTW, Eurosport is also a very good option. I believe they are closed on Monday.
Hope you can resolve quickly... take care

cmh09
04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
I planned on talking to RPM if I couldn't resolve it myself. I'm usually a "do-it-yourselfer," but I figure if it's under warranty...I'm fresh out of college and have a little less free time than before so who knows. "doozerdave" I keep my bike on the batterytender when I'm not riding it and the starter seemed to crank it up just fine every time it died. This makes me think the battery is fine.

Jeff U
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
There is a fuel line recall item that affects many of the 2007.

The fuel line in question is attached to the fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

Aprilia describes as:

REASON FOR THIS RECALL
Aprilia USA has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in the Aprilia motorcycle model and model years noted below:

2005 2007 Aprilia RSV 1000
2005 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000

The fuel hose connecting the fuel filter with the fuel pump mounting plate may come loose. A loose fitting of this fuel hose to either the fuel filter or the fuel pump mounting plate will cause a reduction in, or loss of, fuel pressure to the engine.

This reduction or loss of fuel pressure may cause difficulty in starting the motorcycle, or if already started and running, inconsistent running and possible stalling of the engine.

========

Recall info for the fuel line connection problem.

Affects VIN numbers:

Beginning: ZD4RPC0505S000127
Ending: ZD4RRTT0X7S000522

The defect notice can be seen here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM9919438/RCDNN-08V306-8261.pdf

Here is the fix procedure:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM10619381/RCRIT-08V306-4306.pdf

rayrey
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
When the stator goes out the bike then runs off the battery, When the battery starts to die then its starts to run like this. If you go out and try to start the bike and it won't turn over the stator would be the first place to check. If the stator is bad order one from Rick's stators they are like $150.00 you could have them ship it to the shop that is going to do the work. You could do it yourself just be careful when you pull the side cover off.

Caboose
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Had the same thing a while ago while riding on the motorway. Backfiring, lights going off, dash blinking, loss of power. it was electrical, the rectifier had gone and taken something else with it. Was under warranty, but still took over two weeks to sort the parts from Europe.

cmh09
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
My stator appears to be fine. 12.8V when off and 14.8V when running tells me it's working fine. I think I could have the fuel hose problem though and seeing is it's inside the tank, I can't check it without draining the fuel. I do have a question for you guys though. How do VIN numbers work? Which VIN would have been built first?

1. .....87S000500
2. .....X7S000500

I dont know if they go through numbers or letters first.

Jeff U
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
My stator appears to be fine. 12.8V when off and 14.8V when running tells me it's working fine. I think I could have the fuel hose problem though and seeing is it's inside the tank, I can't check it without draining the fuel. I do have a question for you guys though. How do VIN numbers work? Which VIN would have been built first?

1. .....87S000500
2. .....X7S000500

I dont know if they go through numbers or letters first.

Forget digits 1 - 9 they have to do with country, type of machine, etc...

The tenth digit is the year of the bike.

The eleventh digit has to do with the factory that assembled the machine.

The sequential numbers 12 - 17 are in order of bike's production.

So in the range of affect VIN#'s:

Beginning: ZD4RPC0505S000127
Ending: ZD4RRTT0X7S000522

This is 2005 bikes beginning with 000127 through end of run, all 2006 bikes, and 2007 bikes 000001 through 000522.

If your bike's VIN ends in 500 and is a 2007, you are in the affected range.

If you call your dealer and give him the VIN # he should be able to check.

If affected, he should also be able to tell you if the recall has been reported as completed on your bike.

cmh09
04-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Jeff U!

cmh09
04-14-2010, 04:35 PM
So I pulled the bike apart and was going to replace the fuel filter, check the recalled hose to make sure it was fixed, and rinse out the tank with some good gasoline, and apparently I can't buy a new fuel filter? Is the gray cylinder/tank-like thing above the hose with the braided cover not the fuel filter? All of this can be seen in the link below because I have the same setup on my workbench. I don't understand how you cant buy a new fuel filter. All help is much appreciated. Thanks

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161195&highlight=fuel+filter

DISREGARD.....Found my answer and don't like it. $50 for a fuel filter is absurd!!!

RSVRFACTORY
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
DISREGARD.....Found my answer and don't like it. $50 for a fuel filter is absurd!!!

use the search function...there are threads on other fuel filter options