PDA

View Full Version : Damn and blast ed rear hugger bolts:-(

Thunder Factory
02-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Well it was Sunday morning and owing to the weather I finally decided to strip the bike of all it's carbon to have it clear coated during the week and install a digital gear indicator.

All went well until I went to remove the hugger, right away I rung the head off one of the bolts.

Now I know this has been an issue with the previous bikes, but on mine which has already had the hugger off 2 months ago to fit Mac's decal Iwas completely caught out.

The other 3 bolts came out OK but they were tight and the ammount of gunk under the hugger indicates that this could be an ongoing issue.

My bike is cleaned regularly and I would not have expected this problem as it's relatively new.

I know that stainless steel and alloy in close proximety can have a chemica; reaction but I'm thinking of contacting my dealer and making a claim under the bikes warranty.

Any thoughts on the likelyhood of this being accepted?

:fangs:

Lonners
02-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Hia Mate,

Its going to depend on 2 things.

1 - how good a relationship you have with your dealer as the better that is the more he'll fight your side. :p:

2 - How much you jump up and down so that getting it sorted is the easiest way to get you out of the shop and stop scaring off all the other potential buyers he has in the shop on a Sat morning. :bitchslap

It's a sad thing that this is the way customer services is dealt with in the UK but it does seem to be the case the majority of the time. Unlike our American counter parts who embrase the concept of customer services the UK retailers and manafacturs believe that we will roll over at the first objection and leave them to carry on counting there profits.

Don't get me wrong everyone is entitled to make money, but as far as I'm concerned only if they actualy provide the service or product quality advertised.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but the in-laws are around in an hour and I'll have to rush them through dinner in order to see the second WSB race.

Frankie Chilli - you rock, thanks for actually putting some action in to that last race.:peace:

FrogFactory
02-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Roger
Sorry for the bolt.:( It's damn annoying that customers have to take care of these issues, like putting copper slip on all the bolts.:fangs:
I'll try on mine. Like you, I wash my bike once a week and after riding under hard rain or salty roads. Issues like that shouldn't be happening. I'll see my dealer this week and talk to him about that, just to warn other customers and ask for some advice to deal with the warranty. He shouted his head off on the phone with Aprilia France about some problems on my fairing and put down a warranty claim. It seems to be the only way to deal with Aprilia officials!
GOOD LUCK. Keep us updated.
Fred

Thunder Factory
02-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Just as a follow up, I just removed the front fender and it's bolts were tight as well, and I noticed had not a hint of any grease on them.

Could be something you guys may want to check on. :fangs:

Lonners
02-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Big tub of copper greese on order then :ban:

Thunder Factory
03-01-2004, 05:46 AM
Just off the phone with my dealer (Philip Mac Callen Motorcycles) and explained what happened.

No hesitation at all, told to bring the bike down when ready and it would be sorted as a warranty issue as he agreed the bolts should not have been inserted dry.

Annoyed it happened but at least decent customer service takes the sting out of it.

Top marks!

:plus:

Davenet
03-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Just did the same thing over the past two weeks. Turn a little, back it off, spray some lube. Over & over. Finally had to just hope for the best.

After rounding out the nice, soft center, I cut a slot for the flat blade. After that one smoothed itself out, I cut a second. By the time I had it a full half of the way out, I had no where else to cut.:mad: So I ground off the sides with a dremmel so it would fit a 3/8 open end wrench. That brought it the rest of the way home. But each turn I fully expected it to snap off.

The culprit is located six threads up from the end. Nice bonded metal.:mad:

Davenet
03-01-2004, 12:57 PM
And another showing my *crazy skills* with a dremmel...:rolleyes:

Thunder Factory
03-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Dave

Glad you managed to get it out at least, mine just sheared right off, but lesson learned I'll now be removing and greasing every bolt I can find.

TheClaw
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Excuse me if this is stupid question, but is "copper grease" something you can get over the pond? What would I call it here in the States? Never heard of anyone really lubricating their bolts, loctite yes, grease no.

Jeff

Thunder Factory
03-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Coppa slip is a high temperature grease mainly used in fitting brake components.

The need tfor something like it is because there is a chemical reaction between a steel bolt when it is inserted in an alloy thread.

Just had a post from one of the guys on rsvr.net where I mentioned the same problem, he actually broke the lug off the fork leg where the front fender mounted on his 02 his were so bad. :fangs:

TheClaw
03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
i remember a thread in the BevelHeads List (Ducati's) discussing the alloy/steel issues. Surprised its happening on new bikes.

The discussion surrounded stainless bolts in aluminium casings. Can't remember the outcome except its a problem.

jeff

Thunder Factory
03-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Well from my understanding you should never dry fit mild steel bolts into an alloy thread, good stainless steel should not be a problem, but I'm now not sure if the original bolts are in fact stainless or mild steel plated.

What perhaps is also a factor is that mild steel washers have been used, and as mine had started to rust inside"face" of the front fender where they could not be seen thye possible were a contributing factor.

As I said my dealer did not hesitate when it came to making this a warranty claim which I was pleased with, but I'm going to order some high quality stainless bolts and fit them myself.

TheClaw
03-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Having said all of this. Under what trade name do we get copper grease?

HixX
03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
You shouldnt mix stainless steel with ally, they are fine if kept dry, but once water and salt get in they react. They are never mixed on boats. Coating the threads with copperslip helps, but there is still a chance.

lunchbox
03-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by TheClaw
Excuse me if this is stupid question, but is "copper grease" something you can get over the pond? What would I call it here in the States? Never heard of anyone really lubricating their bolts, loctite yes, grease no.

Jeff

over here its anti seize (if thats how its spelled) its the same stuff. its some sort of copper based lube and trust me it works good.