PDA

View Full Version : First ride of the season

Dan M
03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Finally had free time and good weather on the same day so it was time to ride the T. Over the winter I put on Leos and sent my ECU to AF1 for the switch to Map2 and they set CO. I put an Ohlins shock on it as well. The bike ran flawlessly. No more stalling on take off or hunting on slight throttle. Smooth and powerful through the rev range. Ride is much better with the Ohlins too. I was loving it.
Untill....
On the way back home, about 150 miles into the ride I hit a large bump, nothing to bottom the suspension or anything, just a good jolt. As I accelerated right after that the motor lost power. Felt like it was running out of gas. It came back then was OK for awhile. Then it started happening again and got progressively worse, mostly while accelerating. Finally stalled as I was coming to a stop. I cycled the key and restarted it. It ran fine for the next several miles then started to act up again. I limped it home and parked it. I'll start to dig in when I'm less pissed off.
Felt like a loose or poor connection somewhere coming & going. No warning lamp. Just kept falling on it's face.
Anyone ever have similar symptoms?

One more thing. When it stalled it wouldn't crank while in gear. Had to put it in neutral. Faulty clutch switch?
:devil:

hairy
03-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Finally had free time and good weather on the same day so it was time to ride the T. Over the winter I put on Leos and sent my ECU to AF1 for the switch to Map2 and they set CO. I put an Ohlins shock on it as well. The bike ran flawlessly. No more stalling on take off or hunting on slight throttle. Smooth and powerful through the rev range. Ride is much better with the Ohlins too. I was loving it.
Untill....
On the way back home, about 150 miles into the ride I hit a large bump, nothing to bottom the suspension or anything, just a good jolt. As I accelerated right after that the motor lost power. Felt like it was running out of gas. It came back then was OK for awhile. Then it started happening again and got progressively worse, mostly while accelerating. Finally stalled as I was coming to a stop. I cycled the key and restarted it. It ran fine for the next several miles then started to act up again. I limped it home and parked it. I'll start to dig in when I'm less pissed off.
Felt like a loose or poor connection somewhere coming & going. No warning lamp. Just kept falling on it's face.
Anyone ever have similar symptoms?

One more thing. When it stalled it wouldn't crank while in gear. Had to put it in neutral. Faulty clutch switch?
:devil:

if i wouldnt crank while in gear,id say have a good look at ur side stand ,the jolt might have affected the cut out switch

bentley
03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I had a similar thing happen with my Triumph Sprint. Ended up being a battery terminal cable that had loosened, so whenever I ran over a bump, the engine cut in and out. It sounds like one of the connectors for the switches may have come loose. See if there's any way to reproduce the stuttering, i.e. going over bumps, jiggling wires, that kind of thing.

Dan M
03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys. I took it out for a short ride today at lunch and it ran perfectly. Figures. I'm going to dig in this weekend.

Dan M
05-24-2010, 08:22 PM
:bump:

Still struggling with this issue. I did find a terminal pushed out of the connector for the clutch switch so that problem is solved. The bike still starts to cut out and will stall after about 20 miles of riding. Feels like it is starving for fuel. When it doesn't stall it will come back violently, as if you turned the ignition off while on the throttle and then switched it back on. Other times it will just bogg down until it stalls. It generally starts right back up but sometimes will hesitate a bit then go for a few minutes then it will happen again. It gradually gets worse as I limp it home. Once I shut it down and let it cool completely it will be fine until I ride for 20 or so miles.
This started at the beginning of the season. The only modification I did over the winter was to put Leo cans on and sent the ECU to AF1 for Map2.
So far,I have checked every electrical connection I can get to, pulled the fuel pump and replaced the hose, verified the tank vents are not blocked, bypassed the side stand switch, checked running voltage.
I don't like shooting in the dark but I have been riding another bike as this one is not reliable so I'm getting desperate. The local dealer is pretty green when it comes to Aprilias and since I did not buy it from him he is not eager to dig into it.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

spencer
05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
gas tank vacuum locked? Did you remove the emissions crap

rayrey
05-24-2010, 08:41 PM
did you check for a kink in your lines when you removed the tank sounds like your vent tube is kinked and is creating a vacuum next time it stalls open the gas cap and see if it starts right up again

Dan M
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Evap canister has been removed way before this trouble. Traced the vent hoses early on. Opened the cap right after a stall. No vacuum.

thanks for the replies though

faramir
04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Dan_m... did you ever resolve this one? I'm having the same problems on my stock 2006 Tuono R.

First had the problem on a stinking hot weekend in Germany last year. Bike would pause under hard acceleration and gradually got worse and finally died on marginal throttle heading into a village. As I was with my fast buddies I lost total confidence in the bike and ended up having it shipped home. Didn't want to have it die on me at full tilt in a corner...

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Have ridden a couple of weekends since then but always in much cooler weather.

Did a track day last weekend, very cool temp, no probs with the bike. Took her for a ride today, much warmer temp and after about 2.5hrs of riding started to get the pause under acceleration. Finally she started dying on me every 10-15 mins or so. Only way to re-start was to cycle the key.

Checked everything under the tank and can't find a thing wrong. Looking for help.

Any ideas?