PDA

View Full Version : Help and Advise

capirex
02-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Sorry if this topic has already been covered but I need some advise.

I currently ride a modified ZX-9R C1, which I have become a) bored or and b) is going to cost too much money to keep it 'competative'.

I was looking at buying a 2003 RSVR as I suspected that the 2004 version would be too small six footer like me.

So my question is, how is the 2004 model for the taller rider and it is worth having rather than the 2003 model?

Also whats the insurance like as this would be a major factor in my choice?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

capirex
02-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Ah, should have read forum a bit closer before I posted! The comfort question has been answered in a previous post!

Thunder Factory
02-29-2004, 04:08 AM
Welcome to the collective Capirex, hopefully at some point you'll have an 04 as well:banana:

Glad you found the thread dealing with comfort, as you'll have read for those 6 foot plus it's not as big an issue as you might think (not being funny with the "big" reference by the way:D )

On the insurance front coming from the UK I'll throw in my findings if they help.

The 03 and 04 both rate as the same band for insurance companies, the only difference you may find is in the value of the bike and how it effects the premium in your area, but I can't see this as being significant.

Have you been for a test ride as yet?

:peace:

FrogFactory
02-29-2004, 05:14 AM
Welcome Capirex
I'm 1.98 m tall and the 04 is a nice fit. Like you, I didn't know which one to choose. I tried both and found that the 04 offered more leg room in the tank area than the 03. A good investment for big fellas like us is a DB screen and Acculign adjustable rearsets. It's my next investment after I've sorted out the fuel/exhaust thingie.
Hope this helps.

capirex
02-29-2004, 05:23 AM
Thunder:
I have ridden the 2002 RSVR (well until it broke down, it had a faulty oil sensor so there was nothing really wrong) and my friend she owns a 2000 RSVR, which I have also ridden!

I am trying to sort out a ride at the moment but places like Infinity won't let me had a test ride unless I buy one!

Fortunately a friend or a friend owns an Aprilia dealership so should get it sorted soon!

As for insurance that is going to be the only blocker in my mind (I have been saving for an RSVR for the last two years!) and as of yet I haven't even started looking yet. Got a quote on a 2004 SP2, which was only 100 more fully comp than what I am paying for the 9R TPFT, I hope the RSVR Factory comes in pretty close to this!

Frog:
That was going to be the plan, rearsets are a must from my point of view (they were the first thing I bought for the 9R). I had seen the 'reports' that the 04 was meant to be more roomier but after just sitting on the 03 and 04 models it was hard to tell, let's hope I can sort out a test ride soon!

Oh and thanks for the welcome
:D

HARDCHARGER
02-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by capirex
Sorry if this topic has already been covered but I need some advise.

I currently ride a modified ZX-9R C1, which I have become a) bored or and b) is going to cost too much money to keep it 'competative'.

I was looking at buying a 2003 RSVR as I suspected that the 2004 version would be too small six footer like me.

So my question is, how is the 2004 model for the taller rider and it is worth having rather than the 2003 model?

Also whats the insurance like as this would be a major factor in my choice?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Greetings Capirex,
You have come to the right place for information.
Thjis forum is truly unique:happy:
To adress your question of comfort I am 6'0 and weigh 200lbs.
I have put only 25 miles on the 04 as it is winter here in the US, but i can say it feels very good.

Then again i came from a Ducati:bond: so anything would feel better.:D
Only kidding the 04 should fit you fine.

regards,
Charger :peace:

Lonners
02-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi capirex, nice to meet another UK newbie!

If your in need of a test ride on an 04 I got one with Colin Collins but its a standard bike so it won't compaire to one with cans, map2 and 2 teeth up at the back. :rambo:

If its just the riding position you want to compare fine but don't juge the bikes by riding a modified 03 and standard 04.

My 04 R should be arriving end of this month (providing we can get rid of this bloody snow!) and for the insurance upgrade from ZX6 to RSVR its 400 with H&R - 719 in total (10 months on the RSVR)

You might also like having a look at RSVR.net (http://www.rsvr.net) to hook up with UK Aprilia owners. There's things like on-mass arrival to Ace Cafe's Italian day - 67 Milles in one LOUD arrival :happy:

capirex
02-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Cheers guys it looks like you have made my miind up for me!

All I have to do now is sort the test ride and if I like it buy one!:banana:

Lonners
02-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Another inocent converted to the dark side :cigar:

Thunder Factory
02-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Capirex

You mentioned Infinity in your post, while I've no experience of them myself some of the guys on RSVR.net have serious issues with their customer service.

:fangs:

capirex
02-29-2004, 03:33 PM
I've not bought a bike from them yet even though they are my closest Aprilia dealer, but when you walk in there no one and I mean no one ever asks me if I want any help etc.

I went to a Honda dealer to look at a SP-2 and I had to fight them off with a stick!:gunner:

Ok so I wasn't ready to buy a new bike but you would still expect some one to ask you if you needed help!

Lonners
02-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Never a good sign when a dealer is to up his own ar5e to even ask you if your alright before you've even given him some cash.

Can be bad enough for me but worse for women. I seen some girls walk into dealers with money to burn only to be ignored :confused:

forget the details but Thunder is right about guys having problems with them.

If possible find another dealer the extra miles could make it worthwhile in the long run :banana:

capirex
02-29-2004, 04:05 PM
I know I was with both my 'female friends' when they bought their bike (one has a ZX-6R and the other a 2000 RSVR) and on both occasions the dealer spoke to me as if I was going to translate between the two of them!

It got so bad at one dealer he was politely told where he could go and we left!

As for finding a dealer I have, he my be in East Grinstead (which takes about an hour to get two, but at least he is a good bloke and the trip on the way is good if you know the back roads! It oftens results in a quick pit stop at Box Hill for a burger!

Lonners
02-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a right rocking result to me :banana:

Where about are you? I'm up in Hertford, herts.

capirex
02-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Me, I am in Farnham just down the road from rsvr.net (Guildford).

Lonners
02-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Cool, got some friends in Hartley Wintney (non-biking tho), there is a meet at the Robin hood Newbury on Wed 17th march if your around.

I'll be going if I still have the ZX6 (up for sale) or if weather is shite I'll take the car with a guy from St Albans whos a regular, not due to get the mille till end of the month. :(

give me a shout on paul dot lonergan at ntl world dot com

capirex
02-29-2004, 06:45 PM
What's the meet in aid of (other than an excuse to go down the pub)?

I will still be on the ZX-9R. mind, as I need to wait a couple more months to get my 5 years no claims, before I buy the Factory!

Lonners
02-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Just an excuse for the pub, herd about it via the RSVR guys. first time for me to :rolleyes:

capirex
02-29-2004, 06:53 PM
I'll have to see if I can get a pass for the night! I'm still in the dog house with the wife as I refused to buy a new bathroom because I want to get the RSVR Factory instead!:D

Lonners
02-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Oh yea, I'm up to my eyes in DIY while I wait for my 04 R :D :crowbar: