PDA

View Full Version : Head Shake?

Aussie Factory
03-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Does anybody else get head shake when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd when the front comes up? Its worst in 2nd when I get the power wheelie going. It can be a bit scary at times(and bloody fun as well). Will an Ohlins damper fix that, being adjustable? Or just live with it?

Head shake and hard seats. We are really getting picky now. It just shows what an almost perfect bike the Tuono is.

I've been a member on other forums and they have complex(and expensive) reliablity issues, dealer hassles, poor customer service back up from the factory, warranty issues, poor finish etc. Very few post here are about any of that. Most are about riding, cutting up perfectly good pipes, and the love for there Tuono etc. Its great to see. Aprilia are a great company.:worship: It can be rare with Italian motorcycles. It is usually described as "character". Bollocks.:bs: Aprilia has all that and very few issues. You can have it all with them.

FowlPlay
03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
more preload on the rear shock?

2wheeljunkie
03-19-2010, 05:23 AM
How many lines are showing on your front Forks at the top tripple tree ? More weight (increasing the shock preload ) and lower front forks is good for turning but you sacrifice stability.

Shovelstrokeed
03-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Head shake shouldn't be there if the wheel is off the ground.
It is when the wheel is just skimming the ground that head shake rears its ugly head.

As has been stated, you could start with a little more preload on the rear spring.
A bit less rebound damping on the front fork might be in order as well.

What are your current sag settings? Both free sag, with no rider and sag with the rider aboard in the normal position.

Aussie Factory
03-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Great, thanks for that everyone. I will suss out the settings soon. Your right about the wheel skimming the surface, it is at that time when it happens. I just need to power it up faster, that will sort that out.

T06
03-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Relax your grip on the bars, most of the time it's rider orientated

DirtKurt
03-22-2010, 01:08 AM

x2 on that, concentrate on not pulling back hard on the bars under acceleration. grip the bike with your legs.

Aussie Factory
03-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Great advice. Cheers. It is definetly when I'm hard on the gas and the tyre is skimming across the surface. These things pop wheelie's so easy. Brilliant.:banana:

catch2otwo
03-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Dont touch any of your suspension settings yet. Go to a shop and have it set up for your weight first. Just adding preload is just going about this blindly. you need to have a good starting point first.

brandontx
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the wheel it turning a bit when it comes up and when it comes down it wiggles when it straightens itself out. As previously mentioned, try not to pull on the bars. I think there will always be a certain level of wiggling when the wheel is skimming, I find it very hard to always keep the wheel from turning at all when it is skimming.

fast4d
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
:plus:

Tifa
03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

.....yeah.....but that's a lot easier said than done, the riding position is very un sportsbike...even if you're hunched down nice and low over the bars, weight forward, when you give it some serious welly, you still need to take the thing firmly in hand...otherwise you're just gonna roll off the back... :p: