PDA

View Full Version : Cored & shortened

windy
02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
batfastard and me sen have spent the morning coring and shortening the OE cans from my Factory T. Pretty easy job with the right tools and 2 pairs of hands. The only problem we had, or should I say, I had...:rolleyes: was a bit of a blond moment when I cut 75mm from the wrong end of the can...:crybaby:

No big deal, it just meant we had to drill out the rivet that held the bracket in place, slide it off then re site it when fitting the exhaust to the bike, however sliding the bracket off did leave a couple of marks. The way to avoid this would have been to drill out the spot weld and open up the braket before sliding it off.....:confused:actually the way to avoid it is to cut the right end off...

We didn't take the cat out but we did drill three 10mm holes straight through but in all honesty you probably don't need to bother. We then fitted a 63mm stainless steel perferated tube and finished with a good amount of exhaust packing.

Anyway, I can't tell you how pleased I am with the end result, they look great and sound fantastic, a nice deep loud boomimg that just gets better when you wind it up, it sounds like an old prop engined plane flying passed at low level....:worship::worship: A couple of pics of the cans fitted.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/windy-miller-07/100_0109.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/windy-miller-07/100_0110.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/windy-miller-07/100_0111.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/windy-miller-07/100_0112.jpg

Tifa
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
top job there mate....I've got mine to do later (cutting the ackra's down a bit) I'm bricking it here...one slip with the saw, and it's ta-ta to 350..:o

anyhooo's...yours look the mutt's chap, but I recon that tea towel is gonna flap a bit....

Batfastard
02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Looking good on the bike Martin, sorry, I mean Windy. :)

I got a text from Moggi - you know I mentioned the "open pitlane trackday" - he is going, he just hasn't told his missus yet :rolleyes:

Tifa. Start the cut with a hacksaw, then use a decent jigsaw with pukka metal blades in, easy peasy. Now we've done a couple it's straight forward, shame we dropped one on the first can.

PdxTuonoR
02-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Gorgeous bike you got, I love that paint scheme! The shorter pipes look great too.
What levers are those? Are they aftermarket or just standard on the newer models?

You may want to add a seat to it though... :)

windy
02-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Gorgeous bike you got, I love that paint scheme! The shorter pipes look great too.
What levers are those? Are they aftermarket or just standard on the newer models?

You may want to add a seat to it though... :)

Thanks.....

Levers are pazzo's, black with red adjusters. Seat was off so I can plug in the optimiser....

:banana:windy

ARAIHEAD
02-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Martin, sorry i mean windy, yer bike looks almost magnificent m8, its only a pity its not a "PROPER TUONO" like this one ; 127789 :worship: plus, my owld Mondeo even looks better than your flashy Audi also! :rolleyes: :p::banana:

windy
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
That's like saying the TGV looks almost magnificent m8 it's just a pity it's not stephensons rocket.....:p:

Eh, mondeo? :WTF: one of them, my memory only goes back about 25 years....:rolleyes:

GC6269
02-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Looks well Mar...windy.

RossGuzzi
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
AWESOME Windy !

fatjim
02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Martin, sorry i mean windy, yer bike looks almost magnificent m8, its only a pity its not a "PROPER TUONO" like this one ; 127789 :worship: plus, my owld Mondeo even looks better than your flashy Audi also! :rolleyes: :p::banana:

Shut up, they both look bloody awesome.

hairy
02-28-2010, 02:03 PM
the new bikes looking great dude,looks completly differant than the one that broke down in france,so how to they stack up to the law,cant see any baffles in there.:plus::plus::plus:
ps when u where doing all that work u didnt appen to come across u know what:)

Tifa
02-28-2010, 03:28 PM
its only a pity its not a "PROPER TUONO" like this one

mate....look at those ackra's of yours really carefully....
be objective (as though you've never seen a tuono before)
focus...
take your time
and you will see it
got it yet..?

yes?...no?

they're too long, and out of proportion with the rest of the bike..

I'm cutting 60mm off the end of mine...

it's all about aesthetics....detail and style (and maybe a bit of OCD too)

you've either got it...or you ain't :p:

FTM
02-28-2010, 04:27 PM
"Cored and shortened", sounds like a description of Batfastard and Windy to me. :)

Batfastard
02-28-2010, 05:38 PM
"Cored and shortened", sounds like a description of Batfastard and Windy to me. :)

:funnypost:

And it's goodnight from me

and goodnight from him.

windy
03-01-2010, 02:30 AM

:p:

I reckon we did a good job, just my one little mistake..:o other than that job went pretty good. Did the second can in half the time of the first one, mind you it helps when you're in a garage that looks a li,ttle bit like a makita out let. Fooking 'ell bats has got more tools that B&Q.
:worship::worship:

windy:peace:

windy
03-01-2010, 02:34 AM
the new bikes looking great dude,looks completly differant than the one that broke down in france,so how to they stack up to the law,cant see any baffles in there.:plus::plus::plus:
ps when u where doing all that work u didnt appen to come across u know what:)

No I didn't but I'm taking out the old shelving this week and replacing it so it may just show up.....:confused:

Legality...:confused: they are marked road legal and they are the OE cans but just listening to the bike on idle gives a liitle clue that something has been modified....:rolleyes:

AliPisha
03-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Feckin crackin job Martin sorry Windy....
That bike looks absolutely stunning mate fairplay:worship: Better than that feckin old tractor of Araiheeds:bitchslap

windy
03-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Feckin crackin job Martin sorry Windy....
That bike looks absolutely stunning mate fairplay:worship: Better than that feckin old tractor of Araiheeds:bitchslap

Cheers mate.

Araiheeds bike may look a little old style but I reckon them solid fuel rocket booster will make it quick away from the lights....:p:....

:peace: windy

tinman1973
03-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Windy, what kind of packing did you use? I'm in the process of coring my stockers as well, and there's so many choices for packing material, I'm wondering if it really makes a difference which is used. Also, did you rivet the core tube to the header inlet? I'm thinking that I should, any input would be appreciated!!

windy
03-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Windy, what kind of packing did you use? I'm in the process of coring my stockers as well, and there's so many choices for packing material, I'm wondering if it really makes a difference which is used. Also, did you rivet the core tube to the header inlet? I'm thinking that I should, any input would be appreciated!!

Hi

I used this packing http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/products.asp?cat=3 because it was on the same site I bought the tubing from, it did the job. Never looked any further so I can't comment on other types.

Pop rivetted the tube to link pipe end and because the other end had an internal cone shape we just cut the pipe to length and at a slight angle and wedged it in place. I forced the end cap down while Paul drilled and rivetted it in place.

Rode the bike in anger for the first time yesterday and all was well...

Good luck with your coring.

windy:peace:

tinman1973
03-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll probably go with something I can get easier here in the states, but I was just looking for some input on it. Thanks again:worship: