PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a Tuono R

thinkingtuono
02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I've been looking around for a new bike for a bit and always loved the way the Tuono looks. Local dealer has an 08 for 8k, I'm really thinking about getting it. I've read up and did some lurking on the forums and I'm looking for pretty much confirmations on what I've read from the guys and gals that ride 'em everyday.

I currently own a 98 bandit 1200s. I'm 42 and commute about 100 miles a day, my biggest complain about the bandit is the wobbly handling in corners and the damn buzzy handle bars, I've owned the bike for 9 years..and need a change.

So here goes some questions:)
Is the Tuono comfy on long rides?
Is it smooth or will it put my hands to sleep like my Bandit does?
How much is maintenance going to run? Does it eat lots of oil?

I'm really on the way over the fence on getting one...but I was also thinking vfr for better wind protection and practicality....

catch2otwo
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
1. Tuono is good on long rides depending on if you mind the high footpeg position and the harder then avg seat. Keep in mind these are to keep performance aspects of the T. Compared to a bike like the Yamaha FZ1 with lower foot pegs and higher bars, the T loses in comfort but comes out ahead in body positioning for sportier rides.

2. It's a v-twin. It will vibrate. Its no Harley, but its no I-4 either.

3. Maintenance can be costly depending on what you use. I use Motul 300v double ester and its about 70 bucks a gallon. You dont quite use all of it, but figure in the filter and such your looking at around 80 bucks every three thousand miles + chain clean, lube.... Can you use cheaper oil, sure could. Would you want to?

One other thing to keep in mind is the mileage. Its a big thirsty twin, not the best for commuting . With you going 100 miles a day, your filling up once a day. MPG will vary from person to person, but its safe to say the bike gets around 100 miles to the tank give or take 20 miles depending on the riding.

Batfastard
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
All true. :)

but you will get to work with the biggest, stupid grin all over your face, and you will go home "the long way" every time the weather is nice. :burnout:

FWIW I have never noticed any vibration in the bars, but that could be because the bike turns you into a hooligan.
50 miles - plenty comfortable for that, seat gets a bit arse numbing after about an hour.

You will have to fill up pretty much daily, and you'll probably spend more maintaining it than a Bandit, but this is like swapping a Toyota Corolla for an Alfa Romeo. A Tuono is not the sensible choice your head makes, it's the wild choice of passion your heart makes.

Oh and forget the viffer - I sold one to buy my first Tuono, and the one in the avatar is the third.

Fook it, am I sick of Winter. :rolleyes:

Dan M
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM
What they said.
More good info here:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198035

One more thing. Keep some money aside for speeding fines.

A line
02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I just got mine and have about 300 miles on it. I love it. It's replacing my ducati hypemotard. I did a 110 mile ride the other day through mountains and long straights and the bike was perfect. They are pretty tricked out and for the money---a great buy.

Get it!

rayrey
02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I had a 96 bandit and loved it the only thing was the mid corner wobbles. the tuono handles alot better and you will feel more confident the bandit is more comfy and gets about the same milage if l remember right. Buy the tuono and keep the bandit for the commute you won't get much for it if you sell it

hank
02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
The question comes up often - here is a good thread to read...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196083

FWIW - the Rotax engines are bullet-proof and don't burn oil
:cheers:

sks700
02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I've done 600+ mile days on my '07. Not a touring bike, but more than comfy enough.

TenTwelve
02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Great thread. I'm about 99.9% convinced to pull the trigger on a new left-over '08 myself and this probably put me over. I'm coming from an '04 FZ6 and while I really like my FZ6 I don't think I can pass up the deal on the Tuono plus, my bike isn't gaining any value. :banana:

thinkingtuono
02-19-2010, 09:36 PM
My head keeps thinking vfr for all the practical reasons but my gut is going get the T you dumbass:)

catch2otwo
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Great thread. I'm about 99.9% convinced to pull the trigger on a new left-over '08 myself and this probably put me over. I'm coming from an '04 FZ6 and while I really like my FZ6 I don't think I can pass up the deal on the Tuono plus, my bike isn't gaining any value. :banana:

It will be a whole new world coming from an fz6. I almost traded my T for an fz6 when my finances were down, but man I was so bored on it. Luckily the guy thought the T was too much bike for his commute, thank god.

Jhawker21
02-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Just do it!!

fnfalman
02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
The Tuono's vibration is pretty low. My hands don't get nearly as numb as with my other bikes. It needs a better seat, though with only 100-miles each way, the stock seat should be OK.

Just so it's known from up front, the Tuono is a thirsty beast - think low 30sMPG when it's tweaked and mid-30s in stock condition.

jhawkinsvalrico
02-20-2010, 08:13 AM
I've had my T for just about 4 months and don't regret the buy at all. I've been riding for over 30 years and have found this to be the best all around bike that I have ever owned. I don't find any vibration in the bars and while the seat isn't as comfortable as the Corbin that I have on my Sprint, I can put 2 hours on the seat without any issues. It's then time for fuel, so I'm off the bike for a bit, stretch and back on for another 2 hours. I did an 800 mile 2 day trip a month and a half ago and while it isn't a tourer, I had no issues. About the only thing that I have added is an ErMax screen which will likely come off when it warms back up in Florida, and a Ventura rack. I am planning on buying a Yoyodyne gas cap and a Ducati-5 SW-Moto ring so that I can use my Bags-Connection tank bag. When I go into the office to work (can work from home most of the time), it's a 75 mile commute (round trip). It's the high point of my day. I love this bike - so much that my Sprint has been neglected. The hardest decision that I'm going to have to make is whether I take the T or my Sprint on my 3,000+ mile trip this summer from Florida up to Ontario - with as many side roads as I can find during the route. The practical side of me says the Sprint for range and load capacity - the fun side of me is saying take the T. It does put a smile on my face every time I ride it. BYW, I picked up my 08 as a leftover for $7,250.00 and see that they are now asking $8,999.00 for them (two left in St. Pete).