PDA

View Full Version : Some help. O-ring vs non O-ring chains...

lt1bird
02-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Can someone measure thier non O-ring chain width...from rivet to rivet, how wide across is that chain. Use vernirs or calipers. Also, folks say they use wd40 to lube the chain... any opinions?

Thanks for the help!

agabinet
02-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Can someone measure thier non O-ring chain width...from rivet to rivet, how wide across is that chain. Use vernirs or calipers. Also, folks say they use wd40 to lube the chain... any opinions?

Thanks for the help!
Keep WD40 away from your chain. Use chain lube.

Actually, there's a longstanding debate about WD40 and chains. The company says it won't degrade the grease that's behind the orings in an oring chain, but will displace the other grease/lube on your chain. It is, after all, a penetrant . . . it displaces water, which is good, but it's very light weight and so may wash off more easily than heavier duty chain lubes. At least, this is what I've read . . . I use Honda chain lube.

Philrgv
02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

lt1bird
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Cool study....since im not going to use an oring chain I guess I dont need to worry about the wd-40 anyway. anyone with a non oring chain, please measure that chain if you could!

thanks!

JohnnyM
02-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't use WD-40 as a lube 'cause that isn't what it's for. Don't get me wrong, it's a great product! I do use it to clean the chain immediately after a wet ride.

But the next step always is doing a more thorough cleaning with actual kerosene-based spray chain cleaner...or at very least hitting it with a qood quality lube. Chain Wax, for example...

lt1bird
02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Im tired of cleaning wax and chain lube. Ill wd-40 that bitch since im not runing an oring. I use the wd-40 to remove the chain grease/oil anyway. They all make a bitch of a mess. Ill wd-40 the chain before I ride... gotta be better than that thick crap that just sits there gather dust/dirt. I use to use gear oil.... that was not to bad beacuse it never really got to sticky but stayed on the chain pretty good... after the flung off the fist ride :)