PDA

View Full Version : Just afew questions about my bike

Ryan.s
02-14-2010, 08:42 AM
First off when ive been riding my bike for about 15-20 mins it starts makeing this rather horrible smell, like buring rubber but worse lol. Not sure what this could be, just wanted to see if this is normal.

When my handle bar is all the way right it revs alittle higer, it idle's on about 1.500- 2.000 but then when the handle bar is right it goes to about 2.500-3.000.

My exhaust is starting to rust, as im fully aware this is ment to happen but is there any way to stop it from rusting so fast?

Thanks in advance :D

Dom.C
02-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Oh hai Ryan :)

Not sure about the burning smell, maybe you should whip your fairings off and see if anything is leaning against your engine/barrel. That could cause it. I'd check it sooner rather than later, you don't want to be burning through anything significant.

Yeah, the cable is only so long so when you move your bars all the way around it's pulling on the throttle cable causing the slide to move upwards. Not a lot you can do other than check it's not caught on anything. Again, remove your fairings and check.

Take your zaust off, sand it and spray it with VHT paint, that should help.

DanHam
02-14-2010, 09:56 AM
As for the burning smell, maybe an over flow pipe is melting against your exhaust. Check whats causing it asap.

As for your exhaust, theres nothing you can do to stop it rusting so fast. But take it off, hit it with a wire brush and then put a few light coats of VHT paint on it. If you plan on taking your end can off then you will need a gasket. I just masked mine up.

Old Geezer
02-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Perhaps a bit of dog shit has flicked off your front wheel onto the exhaust, Ryan. It'll be something on the pipe for sure. Exhaust rust is just continual maintenance. I do my 250 and the 125 about every month, just a wire wool rub on the exposed parts, slip a sheet of newspapar behind it, and then a quick blow over with an aerosol. I'll do a thorough job when I strip it down.

bourney2007
02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
It shouldn't be revving at all when the handlebars move. The cable is caught somewhere. It's an MOT fail.

DanHam
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM
It shouldn't be revving at all when the handlebars move. The cable is caught somewhere. It's an MOT fail.

:plus:

I still don't know how the VFR's pass the MOT. On both sides on full lock they either rub on the clock or the front brake is pressed in.

The front brake being pressed in was bloody handy when I was getting my bike out onto a hill lol.

DanHam
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Perhaps a bit of dog shit has flicked off your front wheel onto the exhaust, Ryan. It'll be something on the pipe for sure. Exhaust rust is just continual maintenance. I do my 250 and the 125 about every month, just a wire wool rub on the exposed parts, slip a sheet of newspapar behind it, and then a quick blow over with an aerosol. I'll do a thorough job when I strip it down.

Will this turn into a project thread? :happy:

Old Geezer
02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Will this turn into a project thread? :happy:

I'll do something when I derestrict the 125 if anyone's interested

DanHam
02-14-2010, 05:16 PM

That would be very interesting and I'm sure it will help many people.

Dom.C
02-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Yes please, definitely.

newbybiker
02-14-2010, 07:08 PM
deffo get some pics aswell for derrezzin the 125 :)

Ryan.s
02-15-2010, 01:57 PM
i had a little sniffle after i was riding earlier , its not the "dog shit" idea. Seems its the engine, perhaps its just the oil ?

DanHam
02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
i had a little sniffle after i was riding earlier , its not the "dog shit" idea. Seems its the engine, perhaps its just the oil ?

I think you actually may be talking about the '2 stroke' smell.

Is it a nice smell?

Dom.C
02-15-2010, 07:16 PM

No idea.

Perhaps whip the fairings off and did what I explained.

williamr
02-16-2010, 03:44 AM
You can fix the revving usually by adjusting the cable free play. There isn't enough.

Hammerite high temperature paint does a pretty good job on the exhaust - matt black is about the only one that doesn't look a bit silly though.

The smell could be anything. Water steaming off it is a favourite at this time of year.

Rob

Html33
02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
I had the same problem with your bike when turning the bars making it rev more. You know the cable splits? One for the pump and one for the throttle?

Well, i had been taking my rev-counter cable out and was trying to find a problem and happened to put it back in-between the two which was lifting the throttle cable by about 1CM.

Ryan.s
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Had a peak at my exhaust again this morning to see if it had rusted any more, and it was dripping with like watery black paint ? so i got a cloth whiped up and down it and then it just went to jet black , and no rust to be seen LOL? i was just like WHAT THE?!

DanHam
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Had a peak at my exhaust again this morning to see if it had rusted any more, and it was dripping with like watery black paint ? so i got a cloth whiped up and down it and then it just went to jet black , and no rust to be seen LOL? i was just like WHAT THE?!

Watery black paint?

Ryan.s
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Yepp was just like paint was dripping of the exhuast lol,

maxiboi247
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
2 stroke oil residue then