PDA

View Full Version : Soock 07 Tuono R Cheap mods for Perfromance/Handleing

Rayzor61
02-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I've searched and searched......a lot of the mods posted are very scatered and rapidly the threads go off topic. I've checked the sticky's....Can anyone tell me the best quick fix/mods to the stock bike without buying new exhaust, Power Comanders, Ohlins, etc. I've already sunk a lot of money into the purchase and re-build (minor deer into bike accident) and just want to know proper set-up of the Sachs rear and front, the depth of the forks in the clamps, and/or any other motor/body mods and issues that many of you guys ran into that I can work on while the snow is still on the ground. I havn't riden the bike yet because of the snow. I'm 180 lbs (for suspension). I've had all too many bikes over the last 35 years but this is my FIRST Aprilia. I'm very happy to see a Forum this large with so many good people in volved.

AF1 sent me all my parts (thank you for recommending them!) and I bought a 15T sprocket but thats it. I wont install the front sprocket untill I've Had a chance to ride the bike so I can feel the difference before and after.

In the mean time, I guess I just need something to do!

Rayzor61
02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Bump, thanks

motorcyclejoe
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Congrats Rayzor61 I myself just got an Aprilia Tuono amd mine has Leo Vince slip-ons but not sure of what else I will be bringing the bike home in about three weeks and that is when I will check it out totally the bike belong to my sister and she left it to me. I know its an 2007 Diablo Black what I want to know is what (and I have read a bunch of things about 07 and 07.5 but no real specific info on the differences between the two) is the true difference between the two? and this is my first euro bike ever

Shovelstrokeed
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
First step would be to get front and rear sag set correctly. I don't have absolute numbers for you as that is kinda subjective. I think there are numbers in either the owners or maintenance manuals that are downloadable on this site. Springs should be more or less OK at your weight. You may wish to set the oil level in the front forks a bit higher. Check your travel in normal use with a tie wrap around a fork leg and see how much you are using. If you are approaching bottoming, add some oil.

Just go ahead and install the 15 tooth, otherwise you will never get out of 4th gear. It also helps, if you have the stock cans and map1, with the somewhat quirky fueling in low RPM situations.

You can quicken the steering by dropping the front forks but do it in small increments (5mm at a time) and then evaluate the changes for you and your riding.

In my opinion, the bike already makes more than adequate power although that opinion may well change as I continue to bond with the bike. Keep in mind I'm an old fart though at 67 and don't really feel the need for speed as much as I did in my younger years.

Velociraptor
02-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi Rayzor, good choice of bike, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Regarding the suspension, as Shovel said the first place to start is to set the sag. I used the Ohlins chart, it is on the forum somewhere, you need to put a search in for suspension and you will find it. I am about the same weight as you and on the stock settings I found it too soft on the rear and way too hard on the front, this was proved when I set the sag as I had to stiffen the rear and back the front preloads right off to get it in the figures. I also wound the rear damping in 2 or 3 clicks to stop it bucking me out of the seat. As for the height of the forks, I went one ring at a time and now have 3 rings above the top clamp, this gives a much improved turn in and it holds a line better. There is only so much you can do with the stock rear shock, it is a low quality item built to a cost, I am changeing to an Ohlins this weekend. I hope this is helpful.

Brian.

pilotw98
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Quick cheap mods:
1) set the suspension as mentioned above. It will make a world of difference. I also dropped the front forks down 3 rings and found the turn-in much more to my liking.

2) do the brown connector mod asap. It may save you from having to buy a new battery or pay for a tow.

3) 15T swap. Just do it. The stumbling on map1/stock cans is horrible and this helps a ton

4) link plates. I would upgrade to AF1's better plates for peace of mind as the link plates have failed on some bikes.

If you want to spend cash, slip-ons($650+ new) + map2($45 by dealer) combo really helped with smoothing out the bike and replace the rear with an ohlins($600 new, $350+ used) for a much better suspension setup.

Good luck!

TroyBoy30
02-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Quick cheap mods:
1) set the suspension as mentioned above. It will make a world of difference. I also dropped the front forks down 3 rings and found the turn-in much more to my liking.

I actually went the opposite way from what everyone else has. The quick turn in it had stock was too nice but it was too unstable . I raised the yoke instead of dropping it. Slowing down turn in and making the bike more stable. Before it felt like it wanted to continue falling in after setting your line. Now it feels like you could take your hands off the bars and it would hold the line you set. Which is how it should feel

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll152/troyboy30/Aprilia%20Tuono%201000%20r/IMG_1767.jpg

TenTwelve
02-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Quick cheap mods:

2) do the brown connector mod asap. It may save you from having to buy a new battery or pay for a tow.

I'm in the process of probably picking up a Tuono and I have heard this thrown around. Could you elaborate on this fix/mod? Thanks

Velociraptor
02-20-2010, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=TroyBoy30;2443400]I actually went the opposite way from what everyone else has. The quick turn in it had stock was too nice but it was too unstable . I raised the yoke instead of dropping it. Slowing down turn in and making the bike more stable. Before it felt like it wanted to continue falling in after setting your line. Now it feels like you could take your hands off the bars and it would hold the line you set. Which is how it should feel

It just shows how different personal preferences and riding styles affect our choice of set up. I never found the turn in fast from day one on stock settings, I was dissapointed by it, and as for holding a line it always felt like it wanted to run wide and you had to keep it in check. It now turns in and holds a line like I want it to without any noticeable trade off in stability and it can only get better after I have fitted my Ohlins this afternoon :).

Rayzor61
02-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I have to figure out why the dealer (car dealer) sent me a fuel Sender Line. I can only guess that Aprilia sent them the part and they forwarded to me. Is there a recall out there for this part? The dealer has no clue. I looked the part up on the AF1 Store and this is what it shows me:

OEM Aprilia Fuel Sender Hose P/N 856075

First I thought it was a brake line....lol Maybe some lines have failed and the company is just mailing out the part to owners. In my case, I'm on my own; the dealer sells cars not bikes....

tinman1973
02-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm in the process of probably picking up a Tuono and I have heard this thrown around. Could you elaborate on this fix/mod? Thanks

check the sticky about it on the main Tuono page

"Sticky: Brown Connector Problem - Yes, we are affected"

TenTwelve
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
check the sticky about it on the main Tuono page

"Sticky: Brown Connector Problem - Yes, we are affected"

Yeah, I saw the sticky right after I posted. Thanks though.