PDA

View Full Version : Penske shock and fork revalve

voxron
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Just ordered a Penske 8983 remote reservoir shock through GPsuspension, they will have the shock at their shop in about 2 weeks. Will have them install it and at the same time they are going to revalve and respring the forks. All the reviews I have seen say that suspension work is one of the best things you can do for your bike so I am really looking forward to see how it handles after the install.Anyone else put a Penske on their bike? What were your impressions after the change? Thought about the $600 Ohlins from AF1 but I heard it raises the seat height about 1" and I don't want it any taller than it is. The Penske has ride height adjustment and will be custom built to my riding style and weight. I Put Leo's and map 2 on it last week and that completely transformed the bike as far as throttle response. Got rid of all the fueling issues I was having. Now with the suspension changes it will be set up as good as I can make it. I will post some pics when I get it back.

MichaelB
02-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Just ordered a Penske 8983 remote reservoir shock through GPsuspension, ... I will post some pics when I get it back.

Looking forward to them.

SoulDaddy
02-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Good choice in shops ... Dave will take great care of you.

And I have Penskes on three bikes so I guess that says something!

:cheers:

voxron
02-12-2010, 10:00 PM
SoulDaddy

Did you notice a big difference right off the bat. How was the shock right out of the box? Did it take Dave long to get it dialed in? I mainly notice the poor performance of the stock shock and forks when healed over in a turn and hitting road irregularities,ripples etc. sends the bike off line and wants to run wide, not real confidence inspiring on rough roads. Dave says it will absorb all this without a hitch once he is done with it, Was this your finding also? Thanks for any insights you can give me, I am really looking forward to the upgrades.

voxron
03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Just got the bike back today, did not get a chance to really give it a workout yet, I also installed new Pirelli Rosso's and have to scrub them in before I can really push it. I am going for a 150 mile ride tomorrow so I hope by the end of the day I can really form an impression of how the upgrades are working. Besides the penske shock and the fork revalving they installed new fork springs and lined everything up and set the ride height using a computer laser machine. They raised the forks 5mm in the triple clamps and raised rear ride height by 10mm. Seemed to have a quicker turn in and better bump compliance on the way home. Will have to wait till tomorrow to push it any. I had them take a few pictures during the install. I will report back after the ride tomorrow to give you my impression of the upgrades.

2wheeljunkie
03-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Penske is an awesome shock. had one on my GSRX 750. At that level though I think their all good.

nick2ono
03-07-2010, 04:45 AM
hi 2wheeljunkie! in your opinion is the penske as good as ohlins and what's the price difference between them? thanks

fast4d
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
my rsvr fact had a penske 3 way shock when I bought it. It works great. I just sent it back for a rebuild and it was only $100.

voxron
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
OK I went for a 170 mile ride yesterday, almost all out in the twisties . Hitting mid corner bumps, ripples and such did not throw the bike of line or cause it to run a little wide like it use to. I felt the bumps but it took the hit and settled right back without any pogo or wallow. I have not messed with the damping front or rear yet, still the way I got it from the GP, but it is vastly better in the corners. I thought about getting either the Ohlins or the Penske, either one would have been great, but the Penske is built exactly for me. They have all kinds of different valve stacks, and they use the one that they think will best suit the riders abilities and intended use. I am mainly a street rider 8/10 at most and maybe this year a track day school. With the ohlins do they valve it for individual riders? I just thought for the money the Penske would be best for me. If I had a factory I know I would have been happy with the Ohlins. But I did not like the stock Sachs shock. The Penske cost me $875 installed. I thought that was pretty good. I know you can find them for less if you want to do the install and initial setup yourself.