PDA

View Full Version : looking for a brake line

carla
02-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Bike mover broke the front brake line right at the banjo fitting. Where is the easiest and quickest place to get one brake line for the front brake???

Jeff U
02-10-2010, 10:04 PM
With the risk of sounding like a broken record... Call AF1 Racing. They should be able to set you up.

I am assuming you are willing and able to do the repair. You will probably will need to replace, bleed brake fluid as well.

Also, brake fluid can be some nasty stuff on finishes. If there was any leaking at the point of the break, I would check that area closely for other damage.

Since the mover broke it and should pay for the repair, a local repair shop may be the easy choice.

carla
02-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I dropped an email to the shipper and we'll see, he's a little operator, he might not even reply. I know the damage brake fluid can do and thanks for reminding me. Often there are companies that make brake lines and while I did drop a note to AF1 I was wondering about other sources as well as I only need the one. Also does anyone know if there are any tricks to remove those large grommets that the front lines go thru as well as replacing them or is it just lots of pressure and some lube??

carla
02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Don't want to appear to be a flake...how can I hide it... but after a closer look the brake lines go to a T fitting and then a single line goes to the lever. The line is broken at the lever so it looks like I can leave the bottom lines intact and just change the top line. I'm not sure exactly how to get at that area to work on it, anyone ever done this before??

amauri
02-11-2010, 01:15 AM
The front brake line is a one piece assembly, do not try to repair it and do not bother with a non-Aprilia part.
You will not save any money and the non original will not fit correctly.
Just order a new one from AF1 or local dealer.

Don't take chances with your front brakes, they must be perfect or you could die.

Tifa
02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Don't take chances with your front brakes, they must be perfect or you could die.

....or worse even :rolleyes:

carla
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
OK I finally get it. I've never screwed with replacing brake lines before. The factory system is a one piece system that has some crimped components and therefore when one part is buggered it needs to be replaced in its entirety. The after market systems bring both brake lines up to the master cylinder and don't have a "T" system. Anybody ever changed from a factory system to an aftermarket system??

Tifa
02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
OK I finally get it. I've never screwed with replacing brake lines before. The factory system is a one piece system that has some crimped components and therefore when one part is buggered it needs to be replaced in its entirety. The after market systems bring both brake lines up to the master cylinder and don't have a "T" system. Anybody ever changed from a factory system to an aftermarket system??
I have done so on several bikes, mainly to replace "tired" rubber/steel hoses...
Changing to an aftermarket set on the T is a bad move imho...it will be just as expensive, won't be a perfect fit, and will look somewhat unsightly...
Do as amurai says...order the pukka replacement part...or have a look on ebay, there's usually a few floating around on there...

bikesinmud
02-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Bike mover broke the front brake line right at the banjo fitting. Where is the easiest and quickest place to get one brake line for the front brake???

I have some HEL brake lines for the front that work with stock masters. I replaced my masters and the bend of the banjo at the bar isn't right. I can let these go for a real steal. PM me if your interested.

cpettit
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
I have some HEL brake lines for the front that work with stock masters. I replaced my masters and the bend of the banjo at the bar isn't right. I can let these go for a real steal. PM me if your interested.

I was about to start a thread on this very topic. I have a brembo master that i was thinking about putting on the T, the stock brake line looks like it is bent 90 at the bar end. Did you switch to a two line set up or stick with the stock configuration?

To the OP.......... Listen to these guys, the front brakes are the most important part of your bike. Just buy a new line, banjo bolt, washers and some good fluid. The alternative would be to take this opportunity to upgrade!

bikesinmud
02-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I was about to start a thread on this very topic. I have a brembo master that i was thinking about putting on the T, the stock brake line looks like it is bent 90 at the bar end. Did you switch to a two line set up or stick with the stock configuration?

To the OP.......... Listen to these guys, the front brakes are the most important part of your bike. Just buy a new line, banjo bolt, washers and some good fluid. The alternative would be to take this opportunity to upgrade!

I went with the 2 line setup, but when I ordered the lines they sent me the stock bends at the master. My brembo's require a straight end.