PDA

View Full Version : Question for Old Geezer...

mcglynn
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
which out of these two tv's is better.

i know there is some discussion about lcd and plasma, but i don't know if the new range plasma's are good/better.

i'm hoping you can let me know.

Either:

- Samsung ps42b430, Plasma.

OR

- Samsung le40b551a, LCD.

Cheers.

Dom.C
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
If you want an answer specifically from OG, you might as well PM him dude.

01dabreoo
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Post in the off topic section. There's a few people there that know their TV's inside out.

newbybiker
02-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Post in the off topic section. There's a few people there that know their TV's inside out.

This is the off topic section.

mcglynn
02-06-2010, 01:52 PM
or if other people want to know some more advantages, or disadvantages, they won't need my username and password, k?

DanHam
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
This is the off topic section.

The official off topic section he means.

DanHam
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
or if other people want to know some more advantages, or disadvantages, they won't need my username and password, k?

If other people want to know the same info then their best bet would be to PM him aswell.

Dom.C
02-06-2010, 02:44 PM
The official off topic section he means.

:plus:

Was just a bit of advice in a friendly manner. I Don't know why I bother some times to be honest.

mcglynn
02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
you come accross so patronising though... theres an off topic section in this specific forum because it was clogged up with shit, so if it's there then why not use it?

and there's all sorts of shit on this off topic section directed towards certain people, yet others know the answer/have some advice on the topic..

so even though it's aimed directly at him, as i said, some other people might know the answer aswell.

mcglynn
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM

good point, i'll give that a go if he doesn't have any clues, cheers.

maxiboi247
02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
get the specs up and compare em mate.
plasma for normal tv, films etc and lcd for gaming i'd say

maddad
02-06-2010, 04:10 PM
what about the led ones?

mcglynn
02-06-2010, 04:20 PM
ive a feeling the second one is a LED-LCD?
as it says 'LE' in the LCD model number?

Html33
02-06-2010, 05:43 PM
LED or OLED are much more expensive and the life is not so good as i recall [not sure] however the picture is awesome and their depth is also very good.

They are waffer fin too

Old Geezer
02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Personally, I wouldn't cross the road to piss on a Samsung if it were on fire. The most appalling after sales on the planet. Save for a proper TV.

bilsta
02-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Samsung have he best aftermarket sales known to man, When we got our 50" samsung Plasma, it had a little buzzing noise, so my parents wanted a new one, a new one got sent and they forgot to take our old one, so im now reppinga Free 50" plasma in my room..

RESULT!

Old Geezer
02-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Samsung have he best aftermarket sales known to man, When we got our 50" samsung Plasma, it had a little buzzing noise, so my parents wanted a new one, a new one got sent and they forgot to take our old one, so im now reppinga Free 50" plasma in my room..

RESULT!

Their blinding incompetence is usually the other way round. Well done in your case.

bilsta
02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
haha, Win win!

mcglynn
02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't cross the road to piss on a Samsung if it were on fire. The most appalling after sales on the planet. Save for a proper TV.

what do you recommend for a 500 budget then man?

Old Geezer
02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Wait till you've got a wee tad more, and buy Panasonic.

Dom.C
02-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Wait till you've got a wee tad more, and buy Panasonic.

:plus: We bought one then bought another 2 they were so good lol.

mcglynn
02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
So do i go plasma or LCD, i talked the sister out of getting plasma, due to reading of them burning water marks into the screen etc..

the advantages of LCD seemed to outweigh Plasma's and she now is convinced on bringing the plasma listed in the OP, for the LCD model.

panasonic are too expensive..

DanHam
02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
We have a Plasma Samsung 42".

A friend has a Panasonic, the picture isn't as good as ours. We are now looking at LCD tvs or anything sufficiently big (over 50")

Old Geezer
02-08-2010, 01:40 AM
We have a Plasma Samsung 42".

A friend has a Panasonic, the picture isn't as good as ours. We are now looking at LCD tvs or anything sufficiently big (over 50")

Dan, you are confusing 'good' with brash, bright and overbearing. Bit like saying a Yamaha V-max is a better bike than a Ducati. It's quicker to 60, there it ends. The Samsung is not colour accurate, and quality wise, is better compared to a pair of Primark pants.
Panasonic LCDs are a bit pricey, panasonic plasmas are not so bad, you'd get a 42 for 600 I would have thought. Or else maybe Sharp of Philips if you want LCD. I have a plasma BTW. I could have anything, but our main TV is important to me, it has to be right, so it's a plasma. We have a 22'' philips in the kitchen, and a Philips 32 in the games room, with the usual suspects attached, plus a lesser surround sound setup.
The price may be a little higher, but as I say, it's about the overall quality, and not just the picture. Would you buy a Kinroad? I think not.

Old Geezer
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
BTW, Richer sounds have Panasonic 42 plasmas for 499, and a Sharp 46" also. Why buy Samsung?

bilsta
02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
and if your thinking of sound system, bose all the way. end of ;)

Old Geezer
02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
and if your thinking of sound system, bose all the way. end of ;)

Lovely, as long as you have unlimited funds to buy shit with:fangs: Richer sounds will help any bose obsessed people to get over their mental illness. They sell some reasonable stuff there.

DanHam
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Dan, you are confusing 'good' with brash, bright and overbearing. Bit like saying a Yamaha V-max is a better bike than a Ducati. It's quicker to 60, there it ends. The Samsung is not colour accurate, and quality wise, is better compared to a pair of Primark pants.
Panasonic LCDs are a bit pricey, panasonic plasmas are not so bad, you'd get a 42 for 600 I would have thought. Or else maybe Sharp of Philips if you want LCD. I have a plasma BTW. I could have anything, but our main TV is important to me, it has to be right, so it's a plasma. We have a 22'' philips in the kitchen, and a Philips 32 in the games room, with the usual suspects attached, plus a lesser surround sound setup.
The price may be a little higher, but as I say, it's about the overall quality, and not just the picture. Would you buy a Kinroad? I think not.

We aren't looking at Samsungs now, We are looking at any makes really, and I meant to say LED tvs, rather than LCD.

We bought the Samsung back in August 08, I guess there wasn't many TV's with a decent rating compared to what there is now back then. At the time of year, the Samsung was new out on the market and all the goons down at Currys were getting excited about it.

In our house atm, we have the Samsung, a Bush LCD thing (thats not ours). We were given a 100HZ just a bog standard TV not long back, damn watching films on it is odd, it makes you feel as though your actually there. I'm sure soon enough I will be looking at getting one for my room, up to 32" I would say, maybe bigger depends what I can afford.